Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Diamond Edition

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 3rd, 2009, 5:22 pm

Aaron...at the time of the Cinderella sequel, "Dreams Come True" was made up of three premiere episodes of an aborted TV series. There was no plan to make "A Twist In Time" at that point.

It's only when "Dreams Come True" actually sold quite well, they wanted a third. The filmmakers, knowing "Dreams Come True" was critically derided, wanted to basically bypass that it had happened, thus placing their story as more of a direct sequel to the first film.

Your "info" that they had "Twist" ready to go first and changed it, is basically, me thinks, your inner fan wishing it was so. It certainly wasn't, and wouldn't have been made at all had "Dreams Come True" not sold well on DVD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 3rd, 2009, 7:32 pm

Ben wrote:Aaron...at the time of the Cinderella sequel, "Dreams Come True" was made up of three premiere episodes of an aborted TV series. There was no plan to make "A Twist In Time" at that point.

It's only when "Dreams Come True" actually sold quite well, they wanted a third. The filmmakers, knowing "Dreams Come True" was critically derided, wanted to basically bypass that it had happened, thus placing their story as more of a direct sequel to the first film.

Your "info" that they had "Twist" ready to go first and changed it, is basically, me thinks, your inner fan wishing it was so. It certainly wasn't, and wouldn't have been made at all had "Dreams Come True" not sold well on DVD.
It was based on a stage show performed on the Cruise ships, so that might qualify as "pre-existing material"--
But yeah, What Ben Said: Even Disney's own people considered #2 the black mark that sank the sequels' image, and heavily wanted to apologize for audiences thinking the aborted TV pilot was a "sequel".

(And as to why we're still discussing this, that was also addressed a few posts back.) :P
Last edited by EricJ on May 4th, 2009, 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » May 3rd, 2009, 11:45 pm

Well I all have to say is, thank god that is sold well on DVD because "Twist in Time" is a lot better IMHO then the second one.

I'm not saying that the 2nd movie was horrible, I just thought the 3rd on was inspirational. She still got her dream without the magic. True love overcame the evilness of The evil stepmother.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 9th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Deco King wrote:I'm now anxiously awaiting the official Disney Snow White Press Release detailing all the extras!

I still hope that the much viewed Snow White Cover Art is changed as I think it is absolutely appalling the worst ever cover art for the first and Faiest Of Them All!
Well, cover seems to depend on which October one you're buying--
Are you buying the "DVD with Blu-ray included", or the "Blu-ray with DVD included"? :P

(Apparently, they're trying to definitively test to see which customer interpretation of the "Combo pack" demographically sells more copies, before they continue--The "Future planners", or the "Laptop moms".)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » May 10th, 2009, 3:02 am

Acordding to the Disney Shopping website it's a 2 discs Blu-Ray with a DVD and a DVD with a 2 disc Blu-Ray which doesn't make any difference :?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 10th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Well, that's just it:
Everyone's been talking about the two theories, but now Disney seems to be doing a test-marketing experiment to settle who likes/buys the "BD + DVD" packs MORE--
Blu-ray buyers who like the extra DVD, or DVD buyers who want to plan ahead for Blu-ray.

Which explains why the "DVD + Blu" pack (with Snow on the cover) is deceptively packaged as a "normal" DVD release, with no Blu-ray logo...Ie., the one designed for the "DVD buyers who want Blu for later" audience. (Or, could just be trying not to confuse them, or avoiding any disgruntlement about the "6 weeks later" thing.)
While the one with the Witch on the cover is designed for us longtime Blu-ray buyers, with the blue, logo, and "Hi-Def!" packaging we expect by now, and the one we'd automatically look for on the shelf if we were buying Blu-ray.

(...So which team you rooting for to win?) 8)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » May 16th, 2009, 5:36 pm

The Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs Blu Ray Cover Art has now had yet another makeover! See the various Cover Art Variations on www.amazon.com and www.amazon.ca !!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 16th, 2009, 6:40 pm

And here is a direct link for those who don't want to search!! ;)

Still awful. It looks a little better, a quick look at the Dwarfs is proof enough, but the Witch at the top... I'm not feeling it. And I'm still pretty mixed on having the Witch dead center. I said it might work if it's lenticular, but what would the image change to? It could be Snow White, but she's already on the bottom (cutt off, but still) My favorite cover thus far remains the Blu-ray book edition.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Deco King » May 16th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Yes I like the Collectors' Book cover too! But I do quite like the newest Blu Ray the Dwarfs are now much better , at least they all look uniform now before Doc and Grumpy were out of sync with the others , Snow White , however , looks retarded the Witch looks either mixed race ( her taloned hands are brown ) or crossed with the Beast from Beauty and The Beast , and the Wicked Queen looks as if she's suffering with Swine Flu or has smoked a cigar - she's green skinned for goodness sake - and The Wicked Witch Of The West she aint!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2009, 7:36 am

I thought I had swine flu the other morning. I woke up and was covered in rashers.

So I phoned the doctors, but it was a terrible connection...all I got was crackling.

Still...it's all better now. It seems to have gone away since I rubbed in some oinkment.

Phew...a case of "a-pork-alypse now" averted in the short term...!

Anyway...back on topic: this is a horrible mess. They really don't know what to do, do they? It's obviously a re-think after the comments came back on the original cover, especially on the horse eating Snowy's dress, but here they're just trying to fit <I>everything</I> in. It's simple: it should all be about Snow White and a red apple, with some fringing elements. And I hate having the Queen <I>and</I> the Witch both doing the same "shadow of evil" thing...they're the <I>same character</I> in different guises and should never be potrayed either on the same poster or doing the same "dark overlord" type of action.

Boo, hiss, grrrr...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » May 17th, 2009, 12:53 pm

Oh my. Please, just let the horse chew whatever it wants (Dopey's ears, the apple, whatever) than have both versions of the evil Queen within an inch of each other. You might as well put "Singing Snow White" alongside "Freightened Snow White", while snug in the corner "Comotose Snow White" lies in medicated repose. Oi............

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 17th, 2009, 1:02 pm

I still like the cover from the 2001 release the best.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 17th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Why not just go with the stunning 1993 Magic Mirror image...classy, but not "hey, I'm a bright and colorful Disney cartoon" enough for the store shelves.

I still think this is a shame it's coming out in a non-anniversary year. 72 isn't a celebratory number!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 22nd, 2009, 2:45 pm

Here's yet another cover makeover:

Well, ok, it looks exactly like the first cover revealed just with the Diamond Edition branding... Horse is eating the dress again, yay! ;)

I don't know, it doesn't look all that special. Pretty boring.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 22nd, 2009, 2:59 pm

At least the Diamond edition (since only Blus are now "Platinum") is the "DVD + 2-disk Blu" edition, for those who want to <wink> "buy their Blu's later"! :wink:

Which, as stated, comes down to whether you want a nice cover when you're still getting the same thing, or an Official Blu-ray Case cover, that won't embarrass your Pinocchio, Sleeping Beauty and Wall-E on the same shelf.