Tom and Jerry live action movie with CGI coming

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 24th, 2009, 3:06 pm

Seeing how Tom and jerry's 92 film failed terribly it might be possible that this would be proven as a dud

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 24th, 2009, 3:06 pm

At least it gives us more insight into the plot:
The studio-based Dan Lin, currently producing the upcoming Sherlock Holmes and executive producer on Terminator Salvation, will adapt the classic Hanna-Barbera property as an origin story that reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry before getting lost in Chicago and reluctantly working together during an arduous journey home.
An origin story for T&J!? Now I've heard everything. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Cinderallaboi » January 24th, 2009, 3:19 pm

i heard about this and although i did like how they did alvin and the chimpunk and the scooby doo movies i dont think this will work also there doing a yougi bear movie where its live action and cgi plus there doing a all live action movie of the jetsons like they did for the flintstones

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 4:38 pm

"An origin story that reveals how Tom and Jerry first meet and form their rivalry before getting lost in Chicago and reluctantly working together during an arduous journey home."

What!? They didn't learn that this plot sucked back in 1992? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » January 24th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Wait, Ben... YOU CAN TALK?!!?!!?!?!?!!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 24th, 2009, 5:34 pm

I have to admit, I love the 92 movie where they talked... I just lost credibility, didn't I? ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2009, 5:36 pm

"Hello all you happy people".

That was the one and only best bit in the 1992 movie (however inexplicable and out of place it was). T&J's voices were all so wrong. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 25th, 2009, 9:15 am

Tom and jerry's voices dont suit them, Tom sounded like he got a frog his in throat and Jerry sounded like he was born with a stuffed up nose. It probally wouldve been better if tom was voiced by Rob Paulsen and Jerry voiced by Charles Adler. Not to mention the character look like stuff other characters from the 80's animation stuff... here's what I noticed

Robyn- She has a similar design to Ann Marie from "All dogs go to heaven".

Aunt Figg- A human version of Ursula{Lord she creeps me, I dislike her ALOT.}

Dr. Applecheeck- His design is similar to the professor in the the "garfield's babes and bullets" special...

and the alley cats- I didnt notice this but my friend did, she says that their designs are similar to MC Scat Kat and his gang.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2009, 10:21 am

It does seem to have been produced on the cheap side, with recycled character types. The Care Bears Movie, though I actually quite enjoy parts of it for my sins, also goes with a basic visual shorthand.

Quite often in films like these, it's easier to get a bit of "character development" into a personality through their design. Rather than actually develop a character, using a similar or basic design type immediately clues us in on how we're supposed to feel when we first meet that character. Using the types you suggested above reinforces that we should like Robyn, dislike Aunt Figg, etc, on first sight.

This is bad storytelling and lazy animated film making.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 27th, 2009, 5:02 pm

"Tom and Jerry: The movie" was made by Film Roman {Which produced the Garfield specials, and the TV series that came out in the 90's} I dont know about much the animators who worked on the movie but the guy who wrote the movie didn't use much of creativity. Despite bad story telling the animation is something to look at, I enjoy it.

Maybe this "CGI/live-action" tom and Jerry might not be so bad....If done carefully, I wont see it in the theaters but I would rent it. Im guessing that due movies like "Yogi Bear" and "The Jetsons" are in somewhat production I'm guessing this movie would likely come out in a 2012 release date.