More Canceled Disney Sequels

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

More Canceled Disney Sequels

Post by Neal » October 21st, 2008, 11:21 pm

Last year for English we were required to write a paper on a significant event in American history. Naturally, I wrote about the incarnation and history of Pixar.

In the process, Lasseter's cancellation of Disney sequels came up. Since then, I've been intrigued by the politics behind them and the few sequels that were canned.

So the new article at AV was really interesting to me! I hope there's more installments, if possible!

Anyways, what are all the scrapped sequels?

There's:

Aristocats 2
Chicken Little 2: The Ugly Duckling Story
Disney's Dwarfs - The Snow White spin-off (basically the life story of the dwarves)
Dumbo II
Disney Princess Enchanted Tales: A Kingdom of Kindness (Beastly Manners segment with Belle and a second SB spin-off where Aurora throws a birthday for Prince Philip)
A third Disney Princess Enchanted Tales with Cinderella and Mulan
Meet the Robinsons 2: First Date
Hercules II: The Trojan War

...are there any others? We now have seen storyboards for Artistocats 2 and Chicken Little 2. We saw ads for Dumbo II and both Disney Princess Enchanted Tales.

...none of them seemed all that appealing, except the art on DPET: AKoK: Beastly Manners seemed pretty true to the original film.

Is this the full span of known canceled sequels?
Last edited by Neal on October 22nd, 2008, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » October 21st, 2008, 11:44 pm

All I can say is "Tank god". Aristocats 2? Really?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2008, 12:19 am

"Disney's Dwarfs" reminds me of AN's April Fool... ah, imagine had I been around at the time. ;)

Well, I very much beg to differ on Dumbo II Neal, that looked promising! A true follow up, not a retread or a new character joining the circus or whatever.

I would be very surprised if both Enchanted Tales were canceled. Especially the one involving Cindy and Mulan, since merchandise depicting them have surfaced, ie. coloring books. And
Last edited by Daniel on October 22nd, 2008, 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 22nd, 2008, 12:23 am

Yes, REALLY, Cheap-Joke Boy:
A unique synergizing of one of Disney's two obsessivve marketing goals at the time,
A) the Bambi/Fox & Hound 2-style repromotion of old dead forgotten back-catalog titles with brand-spankin'-new vidquels, to force-feed fresh new character identification into kids who'd literally never heard of them in their lives,
and
B) Disney frustrated brick-head-bashing against the "mystery" of why Tokyo and Paris audiences gush over Marie the Kitten, and American audiences don't...They still haven't cracked it yet--It's driving them NUTS!!

(And I still claim I'm not crazy, and that "Mulan II" was originally announced as a Pirates-style serialized "2&3", seeing as II ends with the characters still on their way to an unresolved Big Battle with the enemy...)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » October 22nd, 2008, 12:29 am

I'm pretty sure there was an Oliver&Co sequel in the works at some point.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 22nd, 2008, 4:51 am

Yes, there was a planned Mulan III.

We also had A Bug's Life sequel in the works from Pixar for a while, and - believe this because it's true - a follow up to, of all things, Pete's Dragon!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 22nd, 2008, 8:13 am

Daniel - Admittedly, out of all the planned sequels, Dumbo II seemed the most thought-through. The various circus animals representing the stages of life was a neat idea.

Well, if the Enchanted Tales aren't canceled then they must be getting an overhaul like Tinker Bell did. The last one we got was in 2007 and it promised another in '08 and it's clearly not coming. I'm pretty sure, though, they're canceled. I mean, Lasseter wanted to get rid of sequels that were tarnishing the integrity of the originals and those certainly did.

However, it seems as if DPET: AKoK is already done, as we saw a full swing of ads for it before it was quietly replaced by DPET: Follow Your Dreams. I wonder why it got pulled last second. If it is finished, would they really choose to hold it back?

I'd be surprised if that Cinderella/Mulan DPET was done. We only saw one brief ad for it.

I'm fully convinced that series has seen its run and is in the vault.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 22nd, 2008, 2:28 pm

DPET was a Lasseter casualty, and given burial as such--

What preserved the Tinkerbell movies was a loophole that said they were technically product-marketing videos (for the Disney Fairies label), and were thus exempt from being qualified as "sequels", so long as they didn't mention that other movie. (Which they don't.)
In fact, there's accounts that the previous Toon Studios head was so desperate to keep Tink from the axe, production literally had to keep two sets of books so that Lasseter wouldn't find out and shut down anything too Pan-related.
Last edited by EricJ on October 22nd, 2008, 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 22nd, 2008, 2:29 pm

It's really hard to know what Disney is planning on doing with Tales, but even if they are "canceled" - which would be silly, since they're a money maker - we could very well see these shorts compiled for one last hurrah Volume, supplements on other Princess DVDs, or their upcoming re-releases, such as Beauty and the Beast Platinum.

But actually, if they do continue, I'm convinced we won't see another Aurora short. Here's what Mary Costa said in a recent interview:
Except for the segment in Enchanted Tales.

Oh, goodness sake. And they'll never do it again because it didn't work, and they got a lot of criticism. You know, with a fairy tale like this, your imagination takes over. And I think it spoils it because everyone knows what their imagination does and where they want to take them – that's what a fairy tale is all about, that's the magic of it.
Truly funny, because it's so true!

Time will tell, though I'm guessing it is just a matter of time.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » October 22nd, 2008, 3:05 pm

No sequels, more fic ideas!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 24th, 2008, 11:12 pm

I think a movie starring Genie from Aladdin was also in the works at one time. Of course, that might have just been an online rumor.

Regarding Jérémie Noyer's great interview with Tod Carter, I was excited to learn more about Chicken Little 2. The plot Carter described sounded good to me. I wonder if Raffaela was actually 'Wolf in Sheep's Clothing.' :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: More Canceled Disney Sequels

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 25th, 2008, 3:37 pm

First of all,Enchanted Tales is not a squel,it's a Princess DVD,second,Kingdom Of Kindness was canceled I think but Enchanted Tales-Honesty is coming soon and wasn't canceled.
There were also Snow White II,Mulan III and Treasure Planet II.
And the Dwarfs movie isn't a sequel neither,it's a Dwarfs movie like TinkerBell and it sequels are Fairies films.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 25th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Yes but there is no 'product line' set up for the Dwarves film already, so it didn't continue.

The films had to have a product line to be allowed to continue.

Enchanted Tales is a continuation...supplemental...derivative...whatever you want to call it.

I guess that 'Honesty' is still coming. The Disney site for the book says 'from the Disney DVD'.

But what happened to 'Kingdom of Kindness'?

Snow White II, Mulan III and Treasure Planet II?

Were these just speculative.

Everyone expected every Disney film would get a sequel eventually under the old management.

So were these just speculations or were any of them officially into some kind of production stage (storyboards, script, etc.)?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » October 25th, 2008, 4:03 pm

Yeah,And I don't think that the Dwarfs movie will be released.
Anyway the Fairies films are Fairies films and Enchanted Tales are Princess DVDs.
The books were already released in some stores,I think that it will be released in February.
I have no idea what happened to Kingdom Of Kindness,Disney never explained anything,there was a sneak peek to Aurora's story on Cinderella III and then there was an ad on the Princess magazine showing Aurora with Jasmine insted of Belle and then they started showing Follow Your Dreams,they never explain anything,also the original name for the series was Disney Princess Fairy Tales.
I heard about Snow White II,Mulan III might be a rumor but I heard that Disney planned a Treasure Planet TV series and Treasure Planet II.
I heard about Snow White II things like that the Evil Queen (Queen Grimhild?) had a sisters who kidnapped all the Dwarfs exept Dopey and Snow White and Dopey had to save them.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2008, 5:42 pm

For the last time...Snow White "II" was an April Fools cooked up by yours truly for posting on our News page! :)

There were <I>rumors</I> that emerged <I>after the fact</I> that Disney <I>might</I> have thought about doing something like this, but this was never announced, never officially (or unofficially if what I understand is correct - and I did a little digging following our "story") in production, and never at anytime a serious proposal.

My fabricated story was simply riding the mood of the time. After Dumbo, and what might have been talks about another Pinocchio, were mooted for sequel treatment, I believed nothing was off limits to the Disney marketeers. The item we ran - speculating on "Snow White And The Eighth Dwarf", a long-lost cousin to the boys whom Snowy names Jumpy - appeared to be so real, with a mocked up poster, that it spread around the web before anyone noticed the date or could say "April Fools!"

Funnier yet, the article was quoted by some serious animation scholar at some serious animation conference as being what was really wrong with the Mouse House at the time. It was then that I did a little asking around, about how far "up and around" this piece had gotten, and was told that it did indeed play a small part in bringing to light (to certain people at the studio) just how jaded we audiences were with this kind of Disney product.

I like to think that, even now, a silly joke story helped shut down a useless and vulgar production before it even began. Here's the original entry:
http://www.animated-news.com/2005/april ... companion/

Y'know...that actually sounds quite good... ;)