Titanic

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 8th, 2005, 1:26 pm

It's unfortunately not that simple to categorize video standards in Latin America...

http://www.videouniversity.com/standard.htm

Colombia and Mexico use NTSC.

Brazil and Argentina use PAL which makes sense because of the large European neighborhoods and resorts in some of the cities.

Neither video standard is as monolithic as Europe or the US... You'd think the Latin American countries would agree to one standard but it goes to show you that shared language (excepting Brazil which uses predominantly Portugese) and culture is no guarantee!

I wonder how the DVD consortium resolved THAT little technical issue! It could be South America is split into different DVD code zones.

I'm pretty sure Mexico has a different DVD region code than the bulk of South America...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 8th, 2005, 6:29 pm

Dang! :roll:

GeorgeC

Be British! New Titanic allegation..

Post by GeorgeC » March 7th, 2007, 7:31 am

http://www.paullee.com/titanic/titanicfound.html

Read it and weep, Titanic fans...

IF this story is true, nearly a DECADE was lost when pictures of the ship could have been taken. Considering how the ship has deteriorated since 1985 -- just due to ENVIRONMENTAL factors, not even considering constant banging by overzealous Russian submersible pilots(!) --- it could have been in much better shape in '77.

I know Ben is going to want to read this if he doesn't know this story already.

It sure as heck surprised me!

Still don't know if this IS true but I wouldn't but surprised if it were!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2007, 12:22 pm

Wow, but so much went on before the 1985 "discovery" that it would be hard to keep that quiet, right?

It sounds like Ballard was in there from the start anyway, so is there a big reason to get excited over whether he was involved with the finding in 1977 or the 1985 public announcement?

I skimmed that piece quickly (all that italic yellow text is a bit heavy!) but the "facts" seem to be well researched. But would there have been a decade we could have taken better imagery? It seems the cameras were not up to the depths at that time, hence the freezing of the RCA camera.

Certainly intriguing though...and another part of the Titanic mystery. Roll on 2027!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 7th, 2007, 3:25 pm

I have no doubt that things COULD have happened the way Paul Lee speculates.

The problem is the area of 100% "proof" in terms of actual 70's imagery and sonar profile images.

Now, if THAT imagery could get released(!), this story would get reinforced or go away.

{Really, the only thing that kind of makes me skeptical is ==> Can anybody, even TODAY, really image an entire shipwreck that is broken into two major pieces that are just over 1/4 mile separated? That's the only thing in the article that kind of made me scratch my head.}

Yeah, I think the technology was up to the task in the 1970s of finding the Titanic... It WOULD have been the first decade where a search for the wreck would have been feasible. Certainly Alvin (the submersible) and a number of other ships (1 or 2 more?) were capable of divinng to the required depths back then and it STILL wouldn't have been that challenging to develop the right camera system to take photos or do sonar imaging. Ocean vents and topography were being photographed at better than 8,000 feet back then.

This is a mystery that is just going to stick around until 2027 -- UNLESS someone in Parliament (or even the US Government) decides to let the "cat out of the bag" early since everybody that can read KNOWS sonar and acoustic systems WERE that good back in the 1970s.

Sometimes, "Top Secret" classifications stink. But then, it's always been national security ahead of archaeology at any rate...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Be British! New Titanic allegation..

Post by droosan » March 7th, 2007, 5:51 pm

GeorgeC wrote:IF this story is true, nearly a DECADE was lost when pictures of the ship could have been taken. Considering how the ship has deteriorated since 1985 -- just due to ENVIRONMENTAL factors, not even considering constant banging by overzealous Russian submersible pilots(!) --- it could have been in much better shape in '77.
It was! .. the U.S. government found the Titanic in 1980, completely intact, and raised it to the surface so they could get their hands on a rare Russian mineral that would power their top-secret new laser weapons. :lol: :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 7th, 2007, 6:15 pm

One wonders if the movie or book it was based on was spurred into production by the rumors of what George has uncovered...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 7th, 2007, 10:08 pm

Ben wrote:One wonders if the movie or book it was based on was spurred into production by the rumors of what George has uncovered...

Nah, I didn't discover this...

Paul Lee did.

He deserves the credit.

Question is still how reliable his story is. I have no reason to believe Paul Lee is lying, but he could have been fed lies of bull just as well.

Makes you wonder.

Technically, though, the technology WAS there for something like this to happen in the late 1970s.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2007, 7:34 am

Maybe I should have said "brought to our attention".

Of course Mr Lee gets all the credit for putting it together.

As Spock would say..."fascinating". ;)

GeorgeC

Titanic to Be Mapped in 3D

Post by GeorgeC » July 27th, 2010, 1:31 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/07/ ... latestnews

A new expedition will launch next month with the goal of creating a 3-D map of the wreck of the Titanic as it exists now.

Another primary goal will be to establish the state of the ship's deterioration.

Data and imagery collected on the 20-day expedition should be available to the public as it is collected, too, according to expedition members...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 30th, 2010, 3:03 pm

...and then presented ad infinitum as part of the 100 year old celebrations, natch! ;)

Actually, this is pretty fascinating...as I said before, I'm a genuine Titanic nut.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 1st, 2010, 6:00 am

I'm interested in seeing the deterioration of the wreck mapped out myself...

I frankly think it has more to do with natural forces than submersible activity.

Some experts are saying right now that Titanic's sister ship, Britannic, is in much better structural shape in spite of lying on its side 500 feet below the Mediterranean. It's the luck of where the ships fell. Titanic fell into a bacterial soup. Britannic's corroded yes, but at least isn't being gobbled up by microscopic colonies.

For all his achievements underwater, Ballard is very egotistical and has a possessiveness about this particular shipwreck. If he DIDN'T want the ship touched, he should have at least taken a teacup or kept the ship's cabling that got stuck on Angus in 1985! He'd have established salvor's rights to the ship and could have at least restricted activity to scientific research in the debris field if he'd wanted then... But he wasn't clever enough to do that and he had two prime chances in 1985 and 1986!

(Letter of the law, letter of the law... Annoying stuff but that's how the world runs.)

He's made such a deal about the sub activity wrecking things on the ship but it all kind of falls apart when you read about what's actually been done with the artifact retrieval. Most of the stuff on the ship has fallen off/fallen apart naturally like the Crow's Nest and the walls of the bridge.

Too bad they never found much of the T's funnels. Supposedly they either fell apart (more damage past their "rip-off" on the way down) or just disintegrated on the ocean bottom. Even Britannic's funnels still exist intact... flattened, but they're all still there by her main wreckage.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Titanic

Post by ShyViolet » January 19th, 2020, 10:47 pm

Even though I still do believe this film deserved Best Picture, (although I see its sometimes melodramatic quality much more clearly now), I had NO idea that quite a few scenes were actually borrowed from A Night to Remember. Interesting vid:

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 19th, 2020, 11:44 pm

"Women, children, Red Indians, spacemen, and sort of idealized versions of the complete Renaissance man first!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 20th, 2020, 4:19 am

I appreciate the comparisons, but come on...both films depict well documented real life events, and both films were about as well researched at their time of production as could be. To suggest Cameron took from a previous film is more than a little silly; not only would many people know the earlier film, but he even kept referencing A Night To Remember in his interviews for his film. It was no secret he was a big fan of Night, and there are only so many ways you can shoot the same event or exchange. Some/most of those don’t even line up, really, and you may as well add in similarities to McCay's The Sinking Of The Lusitania, Atlantic, the German Titanic, the 1950 Fox Film and the 70s TV movie if you want to see other films cross pollinate themselves with each other, which they all did long before Cameron came along.