Titanic

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Titanic

Post by Bill1978 » January 20th, 2020, 6:28 am

I agree with Ben, when dealing with a real event its hard not to plagiarise from a previous film that covers the same event. It's more on an issue when it's a film based on a piece of fictional work. I remember seeing Peter Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring and thinking this scene looks familiar a number of times. The main one was when the hobbits are hiding from the ringwraiths beneath the tree. So when I sat down one weekend to watch the animated version, imagine my surprise to discover why those scenes looked familiar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Titanic

Post by Ben » January 20th, 2020, 10:39 am

Although again, one could say that a book text is as sacrosanct as a true event. If it is well written and descriptive, there are again only so many ways it can be translated to the screen, just as there are only so many ways someone can remake King Kong, for instance. Certain movies, stories or books are so ingrained that there will always be similarities, though sometimes they’ll be confused for ripoffs!

The LOTR is an interesting one, since Jackson admits he saw Bakshi's film when he was younger, but specifically didn’t watch it again in preparation for his version. That said, things will linger in the memory, though again in this case I’d just say it was a very descriptive text that informed both versions! :)