Remakes! Remakes! Read all about 'em!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 21st, 2009, 1:09 pm

(Oh, and there's not an "upcoming Cirque show", there is a Beatles-based one already, which the press statement quoted as an example to "prove" how much better their marketing stage-show will be--

And while Cirque's "Love" does seem to be getting good reviews in Vegas, any Cirque show that doesn't have a Benoit Juras soundtrack is dead to me...) :x

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » August 21st, 2009, 1:27 pm

I saw some of the original during art class and wondered "what's the hype about this movie?"
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 21st, 2009, 1:46 pm

From what I have seen and heard of "Love", it is fantastic.

As is the original 1968 "Yellow Submarine" animated feature.

Oh, if only Passion Pictures would extend their Beatles animation to feature form... :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 21st, 2009, 4:49 pm

Neal wrote:I saw some of the original during art class and wondered "what's the hype about this movie?"
It was the first time we'd ever seen pop art applied to commercial animation (and proto-music videos), never mind the "Cartoons artistically appealing to adults" shock that we take for granted today--
There's a REASON the Blue Meanies just happen to look like Evil Mickey Mouses... :D

(Plus, as we see from the end cameo, the animated faux-Beatles captured a better dialogue/rhythm imitation of "Hard Day's Night" humor than the real flesh-and-blood post-"Help!" ones could be bothered to create.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 22nd, 2009, 4:13 am

OriginalGagBonkers wrote:Okay Now I am offically angry at Disney.
In soviet russia, disney hates you! :lol:
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 22nd, 2009, 11:22 am

Apart from "Those who make meaningless out-of-context Mike Nelson-fanboy MST3K references must die..." :P

People, how many times must we explain this, over the next decade or so?:
Is this going to be another Miramax thing?: Disney is only the distributor, and not responsible for the lunatic ravings of Bob Zemeckis thinking he can direct animated mocap films.
They just bought him for a song after they thought Beowulf would be a hit, and after his own studio dropped him when it wasn't...Holding a Leash is NOT the same thing as Pulling the Trigger.

(And in this case, we're not even sure whether it was Bob Z.'s idea either, or whether he was just the hired getaway-driver because the marketing producers didn't know what other mercenary animated studios to go to.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2009, 1:26 pm

Wrong again Eric.

With the amount of money Disney will be spending on this, they will have a very firm grip on BZ's "vision". No-one in Hollywood is able to make the exact movie they want without Studio tampering...nobody. Not Spielberg, and not Zemeckis. They may have final cut, but they also have a duty to the company putting up all the money and, in this case, sorting out the music rights.

In short, Disney is FAR from being "only a distributor".

And...I wasn't aware that any studio "dropped" Bob Z after Beowulf. All three of his mo-cap films have been for different studios, with his fourth (and now this announced sixth) both being for Disney.

And, whatever we may think of his slide into CG now, BZ would never be a hired hand for anyone...the man has clout in Hollywood and can go after any project he chooses. As a huge Beatles fan that he is, I'd say the idea came up somewhere along the way and it has simply been pursued...remember that it was Disney who approached Apple about this, not the other way around.

Please don't keep coming in here all guns blazing when you really don't know what you speaketh of.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 22nd, 2009, 3:12 pm

Ben wrote:And, whatever we may think of his slide into CG now, BZ would never be a hired hand for anyone...the man has clout in Hollywood and can go after any project he chooses. As a huge Beatles fan that he is, I'd say the idea came up somewhere along the way and it has simply been pursued...remember that it was Disney who approached Apple about this, not the other way around.
Yes, Ben, thank you for facing east, kneeling three times, and saying Roger is Great... :P
But twenty years ago, we would've said Ralph Bakshi was a "maverick genius who didn't need to work for anybody", before Ted Turner collared him to do Dr. Seuss specials because DePatie-Freleng wasn't around anymore.

Basically, if (saying "IF") you were another soulless corporate image-property marketer who wanted to add "Animated feature film" onto your Iconic Broadway Show for Multi-Synergy value, who would you turn to to grind out feature animation on demand? (Assuming CGI, since said soulless marketer would most likely be an idiot who thinks animators can tap a few keys over the weekend):
WDFA?--Not if anyone else owns it. Pixar?--You freakin' wish. Dreamworks?--Too much on their plate, and Jeff K. prefers to think he came up with the ideas himself. Blue Sky?--Possible, but they're convinced they're own their own track, even if the results don't show it. Sony?--Would have to be a Sony property; two can play this "synergy" game.

That leaves...pretty much ONE animator clueless enough about what the profession is for, and who believes his own reputation enough, to "grind out" a quick ping-pong-suit feature for anyone who tells him he's going to be "changing the industry" by doing so...
And yeah, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" does look a little suspicious, but also suggests it might've made him an easier mark.

(And even if Disney did have to negotiate music rights in the hopes of Disney Theatrical getting the stage show, with Steve Jobs/Apple playing a large part in Disney-proper, oh yeah, they're going to have real smooth negotiations with Sir Paul....) 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 22nd, 2009, 6:32 pm

Well, actually...Sony would be the better option, seeing as they part own the Beatles publishing rights...

Thanks for the patronizing, by the way, but I've had just about as much as I can be bothered with from you. Anyone else feeling the same way here?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » August 28th, 2009, 8:03 am

I stumbled across this while looking at trailers for upcoming animated films.
[LINK DELETED BY MODERATOR]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 28th, 2009, 3:58 pm

Darkblade...I deleted the link above.

Not only was it nothing more than a foul-mouthed rant, but it wasn't even a constructive argument. The tangents into wanting more R-rated animation were the usual pleas for horror animation that we get from you and OriginalGagBonkers (hmmm...funny that he actually posted the rant, eh?) and, basically, it doesn't bring anything constructive to this conversation.

And there's a reason a lot of "adult" animation goes direct to video...it's because a lot of it is just dross. Again, there's a vast difference between being "adult" and being "mature", and you don't need an R-rating to be either.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 28th, 2009, 8:22 pm

There are cases, though, where "adult" animation has actually been worth something. Heavy Metal anyone?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » August 28th, 2009, 9:40 pm

Getting back onto Subject...I wonder what Ringo and Paul would think of this. I do know that they both liked "Across the univerise"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 31st, 2009, 9:14 am

Well, they would have to be in agreement for it to even make it this far, so we must assume they approve, as does Yoko Ono and Olivia Harrison, all of whom must apparently be in unison for any Beatles project or product to move ahead. All I can say is that BZ must have made one <I>heck</I> of a pitch.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 31st, 2009, 9:45 am

Which brings us back to the postulation that it might not have been BZ who did the pitching, and not jut for a movie...Just sayin'.