The chipmunk adventure

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The chipmunk adventure

Post by Darkblade » December 10th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Anyone remember this movie featuring the chipmunks and Chipettes? It came around sometime in the 80's but however came a cult classic... I liked the animation of this movie.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 10th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Yes, we've discussed it on another thread somewhere. I have a review up at Animated Views, but basically I thought it was a real gem. A lot of great pros worked on this movie, including Glen Keane.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The chipmunk adventure

Post by Un4tun8Disaster » December 11th, 2008, 4:04 am

Darkblade wrote:Anyone remember this movie featuring the chipmunks and Chipettes? It came around sometime in the 80's but however came a cult classic... I liked the animation of this movie.
Yea, Love the movie still. Bought the re-release with new box art and bonus cd soundtrack (other than that it's the same release as old) when the "live action" movie came out.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » December 11th, 2008, 5:03 am

The Chipmunk Adventure also features the talents of Dan Haskett, who would (soon after) gain greater fame with his work on Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs.

A fun film, to be sure. Though, it gets a bit sappy toward the middle, with the baby penguin 'detour' .. and the "Gettin' Lucky" song sequence can still raise an eyebrow (or two)! :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 11th, 2008, 8:30 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that song sequence a little... disturbing. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 23rd, 2008, 3:51 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Chipmunk Scam Pt. 1

Post by Switchblade Sister » December 25th, 2008, 4:14 pm

MOD EDIT: Please highlight Switchblade Sister's text below for insignt on The Chipmunk Adventure (Part 1)
You know, this movie could've been finished a year ago. We could've sent this whole thing to Korea, knocked it out, had it been on the screen, used the songs, done the thing, uh, and probably done very good business. As the people that are here know, our goal was not to put out a glorified Saturday morning show, which we could've done a lot faster and a lot cheaper, but to do something that the studio could be proud of. And unfortunately, unless the people here, uh, take pride in that, and I don't just mean 8 hours a day, five days a week, but when it comes time, like it has been for the last couple of months, take pride in that that is what is required in order to insure the level of quality that we're going to want to see on this picture. If that's not there then, um, it's a shame. But, in order to get it done you're going to now have to start flinging this thing around, uh, the, the, the globe and that wasn't what I was hoping to do and, um, and I don't honestly also know what more I can say about this thing.

I've been as honest and, uh, clear and truthful and, and whatever as I know how to be. I am not any more inspiring than I've been before so I'm either not getting people involved in what we're doing or I'm talking to maybe a lot of people that don't care about what it is we're doing. I'm not sure exactly where this whole thing is falling in the toilet.

But there shouldn't be a Saturday when I'm here with three or four people. Um, something is very, very wrong. Um, and given what is remaining to be done it can't be done this way and if we're going to decide that we're not going to care about how it gets done then I'm going to have Skip and Andy and a couple of the other guys who are here on the weekends with me uh, just sit and we're going to crank through this stuff. We're going to pose it all out, um, and send it to God-Knows-Where in order to get it animated, uh, because as I've mentioned before I'm very serious about this thing coming out on the date that it is because too much has been set up for it to come out that way and for that promotion to be there.

I don't, uh, personally want any reaction to this conversation. Uh, I don't want uh...uh...I would just like each of you to consider what I'm saying.

As I say, those of you who have been in here, uh, over the weekend, uh, will just tune it out- it isn't meant for you. Those of you who haven't, uh, need to consider your commitment to the project and if you are deciding not to come in on the weekends, uh, I would like for you to give a list of your names, uh, to Hope or Sue or somebody just so I can see...

'Cause when we talked about this coming in on Saturdays and, and, uh, most everyone didn't have a problem with that when I asked a few three four weeks ago before and many, many, many of you who did not have a problem with that point aren't coming in so just let Hope or Sue know if you are going to continue not to plan on coming in extra or if you are going to plan to come in at 9:00 and 9:15 and so like today. It was a ghost town until about 9:00 today. Uh, we had talked about 8-8:30. Um, that isn't working for the most part either.

Um, so, uh, if you'll give your names to Hope or Sue then we'll have a clearer picture as to what amount of this, uh, crew we'll be able to depend on, who we won't be able to depend on, and then based on that be able to figure out how much of the show, uh, in whatever phases those will be, we're going to need to farm out, uh, because, uh, uh, a..as I say, I've got to get the thing done and, uh, obviously no one can put into this film more than they feel for it.

Um, I just expected there to be more feeling for this movie than there is, and, uh, and if it's just business and that's what it's about and, uh, "You know, if we're not getting overtime, and, uh, the thing, well then, uh, son of a gun, it's not interesting and uh, um."

As we said before on the overtime thing if you can get more than what we consider a very reasonable amount of footage which is 8 feet or 80 dollars a foot times your, your salary- if that's not working out and you're not able to get overtime and therefore you don't want to come, uh, that's uh, uh, a personal business thing that works for...for you people you should make that known, uh, so that we've got a sense of that.

Um, but the only way a studio like this really becomes effective is to have people that are committed to that studio and the product that it's doing and if that's not there and it certainly isn't right now the fact here, um, then that's something that we should know. We shouldn't be under the illusion that, uh, that most people are planning to help come in early, work on Saturdays, etc. etc. because I think we're just bullshitting ourselves and I'd rather see the harsh reality, uh, as I did on Saturday if that is, if that is the reflection of people's feeling. Better we know that then to think we got a group of people who are really, uh, earnest about having the movie get done on time.

Um, as I say, I don't mean to turn this thing into a sermonette or... It isn't even that. You know, or, uh, "Gee Whiz, uh, I never have seen him so emotional about the thing."

It's just, it's disturbing, and it's, uh, it's not the sort of, uh, support that I would've been looking for but, um, if it's not there then it's not there. No more of these pitch...pitches or talks or, "Come On Guys" or anything else is gonna get it done.

So, um, anyway, you guys that don't plan on being here more than the requisite amount of, you know the, "Hey, I do my eight hours, I come in, I get my coffee break, I do my thing and I go home." Just make sure that either Sue or Hope knows who you are because otherwise we'll expect to see the other people in and uh, and then if you're not in I'm figuring someone's been in a bad accident and it must've been a busload because it was the whole studio Saturday.

Um, that's really about it. Uuuum.

(long strained pause)

I'm..I'm sorry about this.

Voice from beyond: Can we come in Sundays?

RB: Yeah. Yeah.

VFB: I mean, if we have a problem with Saturdays?

RB: Yeah! Yeah! I mean, this is, of course! Of course.

Um, anyway, so you guys decide what you're doing here cause, uh, cause I can't figure it out for you and I can't, uh, give one more of these speeches....uhhhh, when I'm talkin' to the walls.

Um...yeah, that...that's...that's it for me. And those of you who are here and are putting that in, uh, not only is it appreciated but it's, it's, it's what I always hoped this place would be.

There's a miserable, shitty world out there and it was my hope that you'd be able to put a few close-knit people together who cared enough about what they were doing, uh, to make a studio worth working at. And if that's, uh, if that's not possible then we can all go back with a lot more..al..a..a...alo..a lot less wear and tear on ourselves pumping out those Saturday morning shows that take us two seconds to do and pay a whole lot more money. Uh, that wasn't my goal but this place can't be done, uh, just by me.

So, um, that's it for me.

Thanks.

Addendum:

After this speech the crew went back to their desks and continued working on the film. No names were given to Hope or Sue. Morale continued at its usual all-time low.

When a copy of the tape recording surfaced, a scapegoat was cornered and fired to prove that Ross meant business.

On the night of the movie's premiere a majority of the crew, most of them cut from the film's credits even after working thru the duration of the project, were having a 'Rag the Bag' party to celebrate the conclusion of what had been the worst nightmare of their animation careers. Alvin dolls were burned, a Chipmunk cake happily dismembered, and horror stories shared. The evening ended with a listen to the infamous Pep Talk showcased above. It was an uncomfortable listen, but deeply theraputic.

In the mad rush for copies, somehow the cassette was lost that very evening. As the years passed it seemed certain it had been lost for good, but in 1993, some six years later, the tape was recovered, the animation industry finally getting back a bit of its ugly history.

The movie received expected reviews. Siskel and Ebert likened the film to sitting through someone scratching their fingers on a chalkboard for an hour and a half.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Chipmunk Scam Pt. 1 (the real pt. 1)

Post by Switchblade Sister » December 25th, 2008, 4:37 pm

MOD EDIT: Please highlight Switchblade Sister's text below for insignt on The Chipmunk Adventure (Part 2)
Meeting With Studio Head
Ross Bagdasarian

The Chipmunk Adventure Crew Gets a Pep Talk
-or-
Ross Explains the TRUE Meaning of Christmas
December, 1986

Opening note:

Early one Monday morning in December of 1986 Ross Bagdasarian called the weary crew of his Chipmunk Adventure together for what appeared to be one last pep talk and a thank you for the hard work everybody had been putting in.

What they witnessed instead was so bizarre it kept the industry buzzing for years.

It was through sheer luck that someone in the back of the room pressed the record button of a nearby tape recorder. What follows is the transcript of Ross Bagdasarian's speech in its entirety.

RB: Out in the back there, try to weave your way in here a little bit because I don't want to, uh, have to shout or anyone not hear these brilliant thoughts.

Well, Sherri! Welcome back! I almost forgot your name!

Um, you folks, uh, this is not a speech that, uh, many of you, uh, haven't heard before but, uh, in any event I wanted to share it with you because, um, obviously you all know that on the 20th or so of March this movie is going to be released.
I had a really uncomfortable weekend, uh, not because I was working here Saturday and Sunday but because it looked like the day after the bomb dropped here on Saturday.
What I expected to see was an awful lot of people, uh, recognizing the amount of work that's left to be done on this movie and, uh, following up as we had discussed, uh, a few three weeks ago about the need for working on Saturday and so forth.
Uh, I was...uh, surprised isn't the right word...uh, Horrified is better...uh, to find that there was so few people working here and my... my concern was that, uh, this movie as I said before when we first started it, uh, there's no way that an animated film can get...get done by the owners of a company if it's not something that the people who work here feel responsible for, ummm, there's no way that it's going to be done the way we're all going to want it to be done.
We've all worked a long time and put in a lot of hours trying to make this movie good and not getting these last few weekends remaining, and I know it's Christmas time coming and it's, uh, all of the rest of it, but the fact remains that we're not going to be able to tell the public that sees this film May 22nd, "Ya know, a couple of those weekends were falling on Thanksgiving and Christmas and, uh, we would have done it but, uh, we'll make it up to you in August." Uh, that's really not going to work.
We've taken a lot of time and, uh, spent a lot of energy, to say nothing of money, lining up all of the promotional aspects of the film that we have, uh, to where we have a lot of wonderful promotion going on. There's going to be a lot of visibility and awareness about the movie and BECAUSE of that moving that date as we have done in the past before really is something we can't do. Um, we've wanted.....
And what's come to is that we have one of two choices. One is either depend on the people in this studio to get the job done and that be important to them, uh, to want to get done, or have an understanding that there is no sense of responsibility to get the movie done on time and just start shipping it and sending it out 'pell- mell'. Ummm, that was something that I was hoping to avoid, but in light of last, uh, this last weekend, uh, that's becoming a very real possibility.
So, when we talk about, "Gosh, wouldn't it be great to animate this, uh, in the United States, and wouldn't it be great if you could, uh, employ more animators and set the studio up just like a real studio, like a Disney or a Bluth where the work gets done and the people......"
The difference is that if those people don't come to work to get the thing done you can't hold that image of that kind of a studio because, uh, certainly at..at the Bluth Studio I know that there's a real sense of responsibility and a commitment to getting a project done and if it takes Saturdays or Sundays or longer hours or whatever that's just what gets done.
Um, if we don't have that commitment here, and I'm willing to face the facts on this thing. Uh..uh..you know, as disappointing as that is...if that's the reality we should gear ourselves to that and just we all understand that uh, we don't care whether it gets done or not and then I'll just farm it all out and we'll just hope for the best come May.
Uhhh...if that's your intention then that's fine. We just have to be aware of that because not being here on Saturday is what that's saying, uh, because it's not like the movie is just getting done all by itself anyway so what's to worry. Every minute...and I'm not here Saturday and Sunday because I can't find another place to drive to. Uh, I'm here for a few reasons. One is that obviously I want to get the movie done and get it done as well as we possibly can do it. B) I'm hoping uh, to be able to finish my editing work so that the movie that you have been seeing in the last few weeks and the improvement that it's been doing is going to be as close to we know how to make it by this Thursday or so when those lengths and everything are pretty much locked down so that our song composer can start uh, writing his underscoring. He's going to do a great job to it. Uh, the problem is that obviously having to lock these lengths in now makes it a little difficult. Um, but his music is worth that and I've been willing to come in, uh, in order to get that done.
I was also hoping, uh, that by my being here and people having a sense that, uh, you know, I'm not, even after two years, off playing golf somewhere; that I'm committed to this thing. I'm happy to be here as long as anybody else is. Uh, my horror is when I'm here more or less by myself.
Uh....so the people that are here know that they've been here and this talk isn't for them. Uh, however there's an awful lot of people who aren't here and um...........
You know there's no real good way of saying th.... It's just, you know, I..I..feel real disappointed about this thing and there's no way, uh, for me to get that across anymore...It..it.. it's just, um...it's a real bad feeling. And, um, you know it's come Christmas is coming up and I'm really wanting to have a nice party for everybody and have it like we did last year and the thing...and then..and then I'm thinking..........I only want to give that..have that party for certain people that are really willing to do this thing because for me that's a celebration of good work and commitment and "we're in it together" and that sort of spirit like that and, uh, and I don't feel that with everybody in here, um, and I feel really bad about that.
I also feel badly that this place, in order to succeed, um, needed to have that level of commitment. You don't wake up the next morning and all of a sudden establish yourself as, uh, one of the top companies in the business of animation. But my feeling was that if you had enough devoted artists to what they were doing the fact that not everyone had had all the experience in the world...if you had that kind of level of commitment that really takes you a long way.
Um, obviously this is the first movie that Janice and I have done, uh, and whether or not the movie comes out well I don't think anyone would doubt that we've certainly given the film all we had.
I mean there's nothing left in our bodies or pocketbooks that hasn't gone into this movie. And I think some of you who've been on this picture know that.
Um, and when you're kind of wringing yourself dry like that, uh, it's very disturbing to find that, uh, not all the people feel the same way. And, that may be just a total lack of, uh, of uh, our understanding nature of people or, or something, uh, or just being very, very naive about it but, mmm...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 26th, 2008, 12:16 am

Um...okay. Where did that come from?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Switchblade Sister » December 26th, 2008, 12:37 am

That was posted on the animationnation site in their archives from a few years ago. The comments surrounding it there were not flattering to the film OR the produciton. Glen Keane was directing the film for a while, but left to go back to Disney. don bluth had just bankrupted again and fled the country to Ireland to escape creditors (owing a whole lot of money to his former crew), and many of those he left behind took the film to Korea to finish it.

It's really a terrible film. Check out the comments over there. Very interesting.