The Spirit

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Spirit

Post by Darkblade » December 27th, 2008, 4:14 pm

A few days ago I came across old comics of "Will Eisner's Spirit" and remembered how much I loved the comics. When I heard about the movie I was so happy....And I just saw it and I loved it...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 28th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Really? Glad to hear someone liked it. Reviews have been dreadful. I do hope to like it, but ever since the trailers got released, I figured it looked like a glorious trainwreck. I'ts tanking at the box office, which isn't surprsing at all. Still, I'll give it a look on Blu-ray. It should get released on home video in a few weeks. ;)

I've loved the comics for a long time, and have many Spirit books, including all of the Archives; but Miller just looked like exactly the wrong person to handle the property.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 30th, 2008, 2:17 pm

We don't have a thread on this already? Wow!

I know Rand was somewhat excited by this at Comic-Con, but it looked all too much Sin City for me. I'm aware and a little familliar with Eisner's originals, but this doesn't look like them. If it's more Sin City, then I'll likely be happy, probably...I loved that...but there shouldn't be a crossing of styles like this. Eisner is not Miller and vice versa...they should retain their distinctive natures.

Even if this isn't <I>Will Eisner</I>'s Spirit, I am looking forward to seeing it...not sure how I'll actually enjoy it though. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 30th, 2008, 7:40 pm

You realize, of course, that The Spirit's failure at the box office will essentially dash any hopes of ever seeing a Sin City sequel. The execs probably won't want to see Miller's name on another movie. Too bad, too. Sin City 2 was supposed to adapt A Dame To Kill For, which is an excellent book IMO.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 30th, 2008, 8:31 pm

Losing SC2 is a possibility, and that would be a shame. I really liked the SC movie.

I just dearly hope that Miller gets nowhere near the Buck Rogers property, as has recently been reported. The Spirit movie may very well end his Hollywood involvement for a while.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 31st, 2008, 9:09 am

I don't think SC2 is going to die...it's not really powered by Miller anyway, and the powers that be want it. As a writer of an already proven medium, I'm sire Hollywood will still want to draw from that well. Having him oversee things as a sole director...that's where he may find the work drying up. Or not...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » December 31st, 2008, 9:14 pm

Thought I'd pop in and say that I also really enjoyed it, which is something that suprised me as I was expecting not to like it. I recommend it, for those who enjoy good bad movies. (:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm

Hoping to catch this on Monday night maybe. I'm leaning towards trying to enjoy it as the train wreck Rand always knew it to be...