Tim Burton and Shane Acker's "9"

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Tim Burton and Shane Acker's "9"

Post by Sunday » January 4th, 2009, 11:12 am

Didn't see a thread for this yet.

It's based on Acker's 2004 Oscar nominated short of the same name and Burton is putting his name behind it so it has a dynamite shot of hitting the mainstream in full force. (Note: the image above is from that earlier short film.)

Here's the trailer (along with a suitably marketable release date).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 4th, 2009, 12:57 pm

I'm very excited for this. I only saw the short a few days ago as well as finding out about the movie. It looks really cool.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2009, 3:44 pm

I thought we might have had a thread for this, but thanks for starting! Yes, I've been looking forward to 9 for the past year or so now.

Burton's great for sticking to his animation roots and co-producing these films on the sidelines to his directing career.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » January 6th, 2009, 9:53 pm

I wonder if the general story of the short film will still be in the movie?
mostly the end where all but one dies, and then he releases their souls at the end.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 6th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Mac - I spoiler-ed that last sentence just in case. There's a good chance you might be right and not many people have seen the short.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Un4tun8Disaster » January 7th, 2009, 12:47 am

Short film link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE4qHy0RruA&fmt=18

for thoes whom would love to see the short film...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 8th, 2009, 12:34 pm

Could someone claer me up on what the animation is here? I've been hearing from some places that it's stop-motion, but others seems to think that it's CGI.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » March 8th, 2009, 3:19 pm

It's straight up CGI

edit: In fact, I almost can't see how anyone would think that it wasn't

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 8th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Alright. Thanks for that. :)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 8th, 2009, 7:25 pm

I think the confusion comes from Tim Burton being a producer, and so people make that Burton/stop-motion/Nightmare connection.

But, yep, it's all CG as Mac said. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » March 10th, 2009, 6:49 am

After watching the original short, I am really looking forward to the release of the full length feature. It seems like such a wonderful premise and if the full length has half the heart of the short it's going to be great.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » March 10th, 2009, 10:47 am

From what I heard this movie is PG13. So this may be a sign that adult animation is returning to the movie theathers.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » March 11th, 2009, 7:40 am

Good news if it's true! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » March 17th, 2009, 8:43 pm

So I finally got a chance to watch the original animated short (which I thought was great) but then I watched the movie trailer and I was a little put off by their voices.

Macaluso, in response to your comment, I don't think it will end exactly the same. Simply because a short and a full length movie have different audiences. Full length features (if they want to be successful in some way in the US) have to reach a larger audience not familiar with more of avant garde style films and shorts. Audiences will mostly be satisfied with a 'happy ending' (while the short is happy its slightly more morbid than most movie goers like) Since it is supposed to be a 'darker' pg-13 piece maybe there is a chance that someone out there will try to make a movie that breaks these conventions. also maybe the target audience will be teenagers? who like grimer things.

The other reasoning why they may all remain alive in the ending is because for the full lenth movie it seems that all the numbers have now become developed charaters. I don't think most audiences can deal with the emotional trauma of that many characters that they have grown to love suddenly passing away without having a geneal dislike for the movie (even if they are all freed they have al still passed on)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 18th, 2009, 12:09 pm

Unless it's an ending that <I>works</I>.

I heard no-one complaining that Bonnie and Clyde, or Butch and Sundance, to pick two classic examples, didn't live at the end, and it didn't harm the way people think of those films, their box-office or their ongoing durability.