Waltz With Bashir

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Waltz With Bashir

Post by Adam » January 13th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Waltz with Bashir has made the nine slots that constitutes the Oscar's longlist for Best Foreign Language Film! Here's hoping it becomes the first animated film to ever be nominated for that particular honor! :D

http://www.variety.com/awardcentral_art ... 998446.htm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » January 14th, 2009, 1:25 pm

Didn't it... *checks* ...yeah, it did already win Best Foreign Film at the Golden Globes. Odds are up.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Waltz with Bashir - Go see it NOW!

Post by Groaning » January 19th, 2009, 1:46 pm

It's magnificent.
[img]http://www.pixarplanet.com/images/rat.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 19th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Too bad this wasnt released as a world-wide release...Ive always wanted to see this movie... Is it on DVD or anything?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » January 19th, 2009, 2:35 pm

It definitely has heart going for it. The message is universal, extending far beyond any one conflict, and the style at first seems simplistic but the imagery wins out as the feature runs its course (visuals reminded me a lot of Nyócker, come to think of it).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » January 20th, 2009, 3:14 am

I'd love to, but unfortunately it isn't playing anywhere remotely near me (Washington DC).

I'm really surprised that the AFI theater isn't showing it (since it's a potential nom for best foreign film).
Eh, they usually have a lame selection of films anyway. Last year, they never picked up Persepolis, but our other local art house theater did.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2009, 11:20 pm

I would love to see this film as well, but unfortunately it's not playing near me either.

It's a real bummer since I was really interested when I heard about it; also being that it's in Hebrew, I can understand it without the subtitles.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » February 18th, 2009, 2:25 am

I was lucky enough to catch Bashir (along with Miyazaki's Ponyo on the Cliff) in one of the Film Festivals here in India, though I doubt it will ever see a theatrical release here. It surely deserves all the accolades and hype its been getting during the award season.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2009, 9:59 am

Once...I deleted your comment. With all that is going on in the Middle East right now I didn't want this to turn political. I know you probably didn't mean anything in this regard, but thanks in advance for not bringing it up again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 18th, 2009, 10:08 am

Oh,well,okay then :) thought actually everything stopped.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 18th, 2009, 10:17 am

Yep, but it's a hot potato issue and still very recent. Thanks for understanding. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » February 18th, 2009, 10:25 am

Oh,okay,and you"re wellcome :D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Rodney » February 18th, 2009, 3:38 pm

I thought it was an excellent movie. It really does an excellent job with the storytelling. I found Ari's story compelling and provocative at the same time. It was very interesting to see the story of the war from the perspective of a soldier who is still trying to make sense of it all. It reminds us that wars have an impact on all parties involved long after they are over.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by parka » February 21st, 2009, 2:09 am

There's a comic book adaption released for the movie recently.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » March 19th, 2009, 11:24 pm

I finally caught this today. Such a powerful film.

I thought it was excellent. However, I don't really know if I could sit through it again. I've NEVER been one to get overly-emotional during a film, but I actually got pretty upset during the end (it kinda caught me off guard, and I didn't even realize it was the end 'til the lights came back on).

I guess that's a sign of good filmmaking.... But a first for me.... It's so odd.. :P