Who Watches The WATCHMEN...?

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Who Watches The WATCHMEN...?

Post by Sunday » February 14th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Direct to DVD/BD animated feature, complementing the upcoming Watchmen film release.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/trailer-fo ... w-live.php

To anyone who's read the original this will certainly be compelling. Given it plays such a crucial role within Watchmen proper it's unfortunate they weren't able to find a way to include animated segments within the upcoming film (e.g.: Kill Bill), though I understand doing so would've involved tricky narrative juggling for any live action adaptation. Not too mention the major increase in feature length if one wanted to do it justice. Maybe it's well and good it gets some spotlight attention in its own release. (And I hearty lol to getting Gerard Butler back into the swing of things.) :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tales of the Black Freighter trailer (Watchmen tie-in)

Post by EricJ » February 14th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Sunday wrote:Direct to DVD/BD animated feature, complementing the upcoming Watchmen film release.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/trailer-fo ... w-live.php

To anyone who's read the original this will certainly be compelling. Given it plays such a crucial role within Watchmen proper it's unfortunate they weren't able to find a way to include animated segments within the upcoming film (e.g.: Kill Bill), though I understand doing so would've involved tricky narrative juggling for any live action adaptation. Not too mention the major increase in feature length if one wanted to do it justice. :
And not to mention Warner's latest marketing venture of using their "Premiere" direct-video arm to create spinoff direct-videos the same week one of their Big-Big-Ticket movies opens in theaters, whether or not we've seen the movie yet and have the faintest idea what the spinoff is talking about--"Bruce Owl & Lloyd Rorschach: Out of Control" ;)

(Again, this would be one of the good examples, since it serves an actual purpose in complementing the original movie source material--
But let's hope Warner gets this latest marketing idea out of their system soon, before it ends up abused with a wrong idea.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 14th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I do believe, in their defense, that the correct title was "Get Smart's Bruce & Lloyd: Out Of Control".

Not that it helps with much further recognition for those without a clue, but they <I>did</I> get the feature title and logo in there ("Get Smart") and for those who got the joke, the title was actually pretty smart itself.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 16th, 2009, 5:35 pm

I'm skipping Black Freighter.

Honestly, I did NOT care for this part of the Watchmen graphic novel.

I'm sticking to the main story and hoping the Blu-Ray release of the motion picture (when it comes out) gives you an option to skip over the Black Freighter.

Yes, this story is going to be included with the official movie release on DVD/Blu-Ray when it comes out.

SOOOO.... It'll be kind of a double-dip for fans if they get the Blu-Ray of Black Freighter and the Watchmen release later in the year.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 16th, 2009, 7:40 pm

Well, we'll see what actually transpires when the DVD/Blu-ray comes out. It's all just rumor until an actual announcement gets made several months from now. (Remember the rumored extended cut of The Incredible Hulk that never materialized.)

I just read Watchmen for the third time, and got more out of it than when I was younger. The pirate comic adds resonance that I missed on my earlier readings. (Though, I could still have done without it.) The trailer for the animated version looks pretty cool, so I’m looking forward to it.

BTW, I paged through Watchmen: Portraits today at the bookstore. Looks like I’ll pass on it. I don't need (full) page after (full) page of photos of crewmembers. The "Art of" book looks like a winner, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2009, 6:17 am

Randall wrote: I just read Watchmen for the third time, and got more out of it than when I was younger. The pirate comic adds resonance that I missed on my earlier readings. (Though, I could still have done without it.)
Alan Moore has a history of artsy "interludes" in middle issues of a one-story comic--
At least Watchmen's movie had the good sense to leave it OUT of the main story, unlike the Wachowskis insisting that gay-persecution allegories be left in "V For Vendetta"'s.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 17th, 2009, 8:12 am

Randall wrote:Well, we'll see what actually transpires when the DVD/Blu-ray comes out. It's all just rumor until an actual announcement gets made several months from now. (Remember the rumored extended cut of The Incredible Hulk that never materialized.)

I just read Watchmen for the third time, and got more out of it than when I was younger. The pirate comic adds resonance that I missed on my earlier readings. (Though, I could still have done without it.) The trailer for the animated version looks pretty cool, so I’m looking forward to it.

BTW, I paged through Watchmen: Portraits today at the bookstore. Looks like I’ll pass on it. I don't need (full) page after (full) page of photos of crewmembers. The "Art of" book looks like a winner, though.

There are so many companion books for this film already that it's ridiculous!

I've looked at a few and the only book I'm interested in is the Gibbons' book with development sketches and a behind-the-scenes look at the original graphic novel series. The movie books I could do without.

Otherwise, the best Watchmen tie-in to be buy now is either the Absolute version of the hardcover or the recent first edition mass-market hardcover. If you can afford, go for the Absolute version. Besides being a massive coffee table book with oversized reprinting and recoloring of the entire series, it has a reprint of all the extras that went into the Graphitti Designs hardcover Watchmen reprint (THE first collection of the series) way back in '87-'88. That company was known for doing excellent hardcover reprint collection design work back in the day until Marvel and DC decided to cut them out completely and do deluxe hardcovers on their own.

The movie tie-ins --- not so much recommended. To be fair, though, I pretty much have been skipping most movie tie-ins (including animated films) for the better part of ten years now. It's part of a mad idea I have to keep my library of books from growing more! It's partially worked in that I'm getting a lot less junk and am mainly getting art books. Biographies and most history books (along with not a few graphic novels) I borrow from the library system in my area. This has saved me hundreds of dollars the past few years...

Last thing that I bought that was remotely movie tie-in was the Disney folio book with all the drawings and model sheets of Disney dogs. THAT was a good book!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 17th, 2009, 8:48 am

I do actually have Absolute Watchmen. I bought it when it first came out, after selling the Graphitti book for $150 on eBay (bought it years ago for $25!).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » February 17th, 2009, 11:31 am

EricJ wrote:unlike the Wachowskis insisting that gay-persecution allegories be left in "V For Vendetta"'s.
Not to start an argument, but honestly, what was wrong with that? I thought that was one of the film's most daring aspects. The only way to fight prejudice is to confront it head on.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 17th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Apart from being the obvious Bryan Singer/X2-like "Lana Wachowski stands up for gay pride", I sat through the seven to ten minutes of it thinking, "O-kayyyy, and this relates to the Guy-Fawkes story howww, exactly? :? "

I make this up not: Having not read the comic, I actually expected an ending where V would be unmasked at the end and turn out to have been Valerie the Politically-Persecuted Lesbian (ah, so that's why s/he was "V"!)--
Roger Ebert's "Law of the Economy of Characters", and all that.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2009, 3:21 am

Randall wrote:I do actually have Absolute Watchmen. I bought it when it first came out, after selling the Graphitti book for $150 on eBay (bought it years ago for $25!).

$25? How? I thought most of the Graphitti's were going for $40 even in the 1980's! I was lucky that the local comic shop in the town I grew up in SOLD me the Graphitti Dark Knight Returns LE for cover price! Lots of shops in 1986 were raffling the hardcover LE of it for $100 and more. It was just plain greed! Granted, there were only 4,000 copies of it printed, but still to mark it up before the book's even 5 minutes out of the box...!

(Still have that Graphitti Batman, btw. It's by far my favorite reprint of the whole Batman DKR lot. I have little use for the 10th DC DKR Anniversary slipcase which in my opinion was "meh" and I might put that one up for auction. I just like the cover and quality of that original limited 1986 release better...)

I think the Watchmen Graphitti LE was even more limited. I wasn't really into anything that adult back then and didn't read Watchmen until almost 20 years later. It definitely wasn't as big as Dark Knight back then.

As I understand it, Moore was so ticked off even then (DC ripped him off on licensing and basically has kept Watchmen in continuous print for over 20 years so that Moore will NEVER get the rights back to his most famous comic series) that not all the Graphitti Watchmen LE's, if any of them, were autographed like they were originally supposed to be.

I've seen them pop up once or twice online, but even $150 isn't the most I've seen them go for. Still, that's a good return on something you got relatively cheap!

Last I heard, Absolute Watchmen is in its SECOND print run.

Not that it's a big deal to me... I can deal with owning second, third, and fourth prints of reprint volumes. People get too hung up on "pinstripes" and "gold-plating" in my opinion. Sometimes, the mistakes and things left out of original prints surface in the corrected print-runs. A bunch of people NOT familiar with the first prints of DKR aren't aware that Miller repeatedly called Lana Lang "Lois" in the first print of the original bookshelf's.

What I don't care, myself, is the re-editing and rewording of stories to fit a new editorial agenda. DC infamously did that with Infinite Crisis (which I felt was a BAD story in many ways -- Final Crisis outdid it as being the laziest written and worst planned crossover series I've seen, period) in the collected versions. Really, really bad form. But then again, I haven't been impressed with any of their company-wide crossovers in years and still feel the best executed one was the original Crisis on Infinite Earths. Even that story shouldn't have probably been printed. It created much more of a mess than it solved!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 18th, 2009, 8:39 am

When I bought the Graphitti Watchmen, it was at a post-Christmas sale where the shop had EVERYTHING going for 50% off that day. It was tempting to spend hundreds of dollars then, but I kept to just a couple of items. The Watchmen book had a $50 price tag on it, so it went for $25. Yep, it was a good investment.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2009, 9:02 pm

More Watchmen Home Video release news:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /index.htm

"Watchmen director Zack Snyder said that the film will be released in two other versions following the theatrical version on March 6.

"We're hoping that we do, at the time of relase of the DVD release in July, they release a director's cut, which is three hours long," Snyder said at the Watchmen press junket on Wednesday. "In the fall, they're going to do the Black Freighter cut, which is all the ins and outs of the Black Freighter, which is the comic book within the comic book. We shot all of those. The final result of that is like a 3-hour, 30-minute/25-minute version of the movie which is everything. It's the kitchen sink version.

"It's really three different movies in a lot of way. I think the theatrical versions, which is radically strange in its own way, fits IMAX. I think the director's cut, which is almost three hours, is pretty most of the stuff that we shot, 99 percent of the stuff that we shot, which I like by the way."

Snyder said The Black Freighter material that will be incorporated is "just crazy" and will include all the material with the news vendor.

He said the director's cut is a harder version of the theaterical movie. "It's more violent, if you can imagine," he said. "It's slightly more sexy. It's more Manhattan nudity. It's just more of everything.""

THREE versions of the film???? This is just getting ridiculous!

SO, either an extra Blu-Ray gets put in because I don't think even Blu-Ray could handle all that seamless branching without some loss in quality, or we buy another set or two of the same film with different scenes???

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 19th, 2009, 10:28 am

Just don't buy the current/first versions and wait until Christmas. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Of course, the extra features may only come on an earlier version. Decisions, decisions...