Movies of 2009

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » June 19th, 2009, 12:54 pm

I saw Up, and for a pixar film It was pretty amazing. Some parts of the film were funny while other parts of it were emotional. I cant wait to see Drag me to hell...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 21st, 2009, 11:21 pm

"Drag Me to Hell" is lots of fun for the most part. It's very gross, but in a good kind of way.

However...
The "twist ending" didn't really work at all, especially since I saw it coming before it actually happened. It kinda ruined the movie for me, to be honest.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » June 23rd, 2009, 2:12 pm

Just got back from watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Pretty much what you'd expect from a Transformers film as directed by Michael Bay. While it does start out a tad slow, surprisingly enough, the film finally starts rolling at the end of the scenes at Sam's university. The special effects are absolutely incredible, even surpassing those of the first film and the action scenes are directed in typical high-adrenaline Bay style. The Decepticons are especially and appropriately frightening. Shia LaBeouf once again does a nice job in the lead role and the human scenes are a tad less stupid (minus Sam's parents, who contribute nothing but silly moment after silly moment, much like the first one). The voice-work from the Transformers are also terrific, especially from Peter Cullen, Charles Adler and Tom Kenny.

Now, the film does run a tad too long, which isn't helped by Bay's irritating use of slow-motion. And the romance scenes between LaBeouf and Fox just come off as flatly written, not helped by Fox simply being eye candy. There are also times where it really comes off as a "Join The Army" advertisement. Nonetheless, though it takes a while for the film to get going, it does provide enough entertainment value to make it worthy of a rental.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 24th, 2009, 6:01 pm

Yeah, I read another review that said it was too long, but that's never really bothered me much. Can't wait to see it!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 17th, 2009, 12:49 am

Saw "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince" tonight. It's a good movie, but it suffers from the same weakness as the book in that it doesn't stand on its own as a self-contained story as the first five do (sort of), instead serving as an extended prologue to Deathly Hallows. Also they did not address something that is important in part seven.
The end of the book was drastically shortened in the film. There is no mass invasion of Hogwarts by death eaters and the small group who do appear do their job unopposed. Hence, Bill Weasley does not appear in the film and is not bitten to turn him into a werewolf.
How they're going to work that one out in the next film, I have no idea.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 17th, 2009, 1:35 am

eddievalient wrote:
The end of the book was drastically shortened in the film. There is no mass invasion of Hogwarts by death eaters and the small group who do appear do their job unopposed.
How they're going to work that one out in the next film, I have no idea.
The director already went on record as saying "Well, there's another big battle at the end of Book 7, why not save all the good stuff for the climax?"

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » July 18th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Which is a lousy excuse...

All the same, I was impressed overall. It was a very well done film for the most part.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » July 18th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I have finally seen "Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs".

The best movie of 2009 until now.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 18th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Better than Up? I doubt it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by OriginalGagBonkers » July 19th, 2009, 5:03 pm

I just came out of seeing Transformers 2 and I thought it was rather disappointing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 15th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Saw GI Joe on thursday and it's pretty good. Not as good as Transformers, but good enough. It's a bit silly, but silly in a good way. It's as if they knew how silly it was when they were making it and didn't even try to hide it and IMO that works in the movie's favor. With something like this, I'd rather see a film that was honestly silly than see something that tried to be serious and failed. Thumbs up from me, and I'm glad they're reportedly working on a sequel.
I thought the twist at the end (a Cobra operative takes the president's place) was pretty clever because it works whether there's a sequel or not. If there is a sequel, then it means that the Joes won the battle but lost the war and they don't even know it. If there's not a sequel, then you could say that Zartan forgets about Cobra and enjoys being the man in charge for awhile.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 15th, 2009, 11:33 pm

Yeah, "G.I. Joe" was pretty cool. I enjoyed it for pretty much the same reasons.

The villains were much more fun than the heroes, though. With the exception of Snake Eyes and Hawk, none of them were too interesting, although Scarlett O'Hara was pretty nice to look at.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » August 23rd, 2009, 10:03 am

Saw District 9 last night and mom and I were both blown away by it. I don't want to reveal anything since I essentially went in cold and that's a good way to watch it, but I will say that it's the second best movie I've seen all year (right behind Up). It reminded me very much of THX 1138 and I think if he keeps going, Neill Blomkamp could be the next George Lucas. I eagerly await whatever he decides to do next.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 19th, 2009, 4:31 pm

Caught "Jennifer's Body" yesterday and thought that it was great! If you loved "Juno," then you'll probably enjoy this, so long as you can handle the film's violence.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 24th, 2010, 11:35 am

Spam is bad for you. Don't eat spam.