WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by EricJ » September 19th, 2023, 6:03 pm

Ben wrote:
September 19th, 2023, 4:12 am
I got all excited when you cited Devil Doll, but it’s THE Devil Doll coming from WB, not Devil Doll, which is still awaiting an HD release. (I know, you did say Browning, but I couldn’t remember who directed it and excitement got the better of me…)
Only MST3K fanboys would picture something OTHER than Old-Lady Lionel Barrymore when hearing the title... 8)
TCM and Todd Browning fans know better.

And Double Trouble isn't one of the classic Elvises, but we can't leave it to Paramount to only release theirs.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Post by Ben » October 26th, 2023, 3:50 am

December tities!
Tarzan, The Ape Man (1932), The Great Ziegfeld (1936), Gentleman Jim (1942), Madame Bovary (1949), A Midwinter's Tale (1995) and Saving Grace (2000).
Tarzan — natch! — and Ziegfeld for me, though I may play the long game and wait for some more as they’re likely to then do a space-saving multipack (still waiting for those Thin Mans though!). Thing is, having already bought the DVD boxes, collecting these again as individuals is pretty space consuming, and having them on the shelf doesn’t mean I, going to watch them anytime soon, so I think I’m good to hold off and hope for a few three or four-packs.

But some nice picks there! Certainly don’t need the two newer ones, but the two 40s ones will go on the extended wishlist for some potential future sales pickups.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 26th, 2023, 9:37 am

There's also Anna Christie, Garbo's first talkie.

Great to see more 1930s titles, all of which entice to some extent. They each come with cartoons, too, though I haven't checked to see if any are new to Blu.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 26th, 2023, 2:44 pm

Full deets:

Madame Bovary: (1949)
NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM FROM PRESERVATION ELEMENTS (2023)
M-G-M 25th anniversary retrospective film SOME OF THE BEST (1949)
Classic TOM & JERRY cartoon LOVE THAT PUP
Original Theatrical Trailer

The Great Ziegfeld: (1936)
Historical retrospective:
"Ziegfeld on Film"
Vintage Newsreel excerpt "New York hails 'The Great Ziegfeld'"
Classic Warner Bros. Cartoon: "TOY TOWN HALL"
Audio-only LEO IS ON THE AIR Radio promotional program

Gentleman Jim: (1942)
NEW 4K RESTORATION FROM THE ORIGINAL NITRATE CAMERA NEGATIVE (2023)
Classic Warner Bros. Cartoons:
"THE DOVER BOYS AT PIMENTO UNIVERSITY"
"FONEY FABLES"
"HOBBY HORSE-LAFFS"
Audio-only Lady Esther Screen Guild Playhouse (2/14/1944) Radio Broadcast with Errol Flynn and Alexis Smith

Anna Christie: (1930)
1930 German Language version directed by Jacques Feyder starring Garbo (HD)
M-G-M Parade television episode #30 with Walter Pidgeon on Greta Garbo's career
Classic Warner Bros. cartoon "THE BOOZE HANGS HIGH" (HD)
Audio-only Lux Radio Theater (2/7/1938) ANNA CHRISTIE broadcast with Joan Crawford and Spencer Tracy

Tarzan, the Ape Man: (1932)
Documentary: TARZAN: SILVER SCREEN KING OF THE JUNGLE
Classic Warner Bros. cartoons:
"I WISH I HAD WINGS"
"MOONLIGHT FOR TWO"
Theatrical Trailer

Saving Grace: (2000)
BRAND NEW MASTER (2023)
Two audio commentaries with cast and creators

A Midwinter's Tale: (1995)
BRAND NEW MASTER (2023)

Toy Town Hall, Foney Fables, Hobby Horse-Laffs, The Booze Hangs High, I Wish I Had Wings and Moonlight for Two are new to Blu.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 22nd, 2023, 12:25 am

And already, we have the January announcements, from the WA Facebook page!

A DAY AT THE RACES (1937)
Coming to Blu-ray January 30th!
NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Preservation Elements!
A DAY AT THE RACES (1937)
Run Time: 111 Minutes
Subtitles: ENGLISH SDH
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.37:1 with Side Mattes
Product color: B&W
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by Sam Wood
Cast: Groucho Marx, Chico Marx, Harpo Marx, Allan Jones, Maureen O'Sullivan, Margaret Dumont
Special Features: Feature commentary by author/film historian Glenn Mitchell, Making-of featurette "On Your Marx, Get Set, Go!", Robert Benchley M-G-M short "A Night at the Movies", 3 Classic M-G-M cartoons "Gallopin' Gals" "Mama's New Hat" and "Old Smokey"; Audio-only treasures: Groucho Marx radio performance of "DR. HACKENBUSH" (written for film but unused), Musical outtake "A Message from the Man in the Moon" and Leo is On the Air Radio Promo; Original Theatrical Trailer (HD)
The Marx Brothers skewer medicine and bring home a racetrack winner in the hilarious A Day at the Races. In his favorite role, Groucho is Dr. Hugo Z. Hackenbush – MD, PhD, RFD, MC, PDQ, BYOB and none of the above – dispensing horse pills and quips with equal glee. Chico, Harpo and favorite foil Margaret Dumont join the fun of this thoroughly thoroughbred comedy. Enjoy tootsie-frootsie ice cream, Dumont’s medical exam, Harpo’s pretty-girl pantomime sketch, wallpaper wackiness and wall-to-wall hilarity the Marx way.
THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER (1937)
NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Original Camera Negative!
THE PRINCE AND THE PAUPER (1937)
Run Time: 118 Minutes
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by William Keighley
Cast: Errol Flynn, Claude Rains, Billy and Bobby Mauch
Special Features: Classic WB Cartoons: PLENTY OF MONEY AND YOU (HD), STREAMLINED GRETA GREEN (HD), SUNBONNET BLUE (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer
Errol Flynn gives a superb performance as he stars in Mark Twain's classic tale of two nearly identical boys from vastly different worlds who trade places as--The Prince and The Pauper. As Lady Jane Seymour (Joan Valerie), consort to King Henry VIII (Montagu Love) gives birth to Prince Edward Tudor (Bobby Mauch), Tom Canty (Billy Mauch) is born in slums not far from the palace. These two boys grow up in London--one in a life of privilege, the other in poverty--until one day they meet, realize they could pass as twins and decide to trade places for a day. But fate traps each in the other's life, with only Miles Hendon (Flynn) as their ally. Now, their survival and the fate of a nation depend on these two boys convincing the royal court of their true identities. Underscored with the brilliant themes of Erich Wolfgang Korngold, and directed with spirit by William Keighley, this is the definitive film version of Twain's great tale!
CABIN IN THE SKY (1943)
CABIN IN THE SKY (1943)
Run Time: 98 Minutes
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by Vincente Minnelli
Cast: Ethel Waters, Eddie 'Rochester' Anderson, Lena Horne, Rex Ingram
Special Features: Feature commentary by Evangela Anderson and Eva Anderson (Wife and Daughter of Eddie "Rochester" Anderson), Fayard Nicholas, Black Cultural Scholar Todd Boyd, Film Historian Dr. Drew Casper and Interview Excerpts of Lena Horne; Vintage Pete Smith Specialty "Studio Visit"; Audio-only bonus: Louis Armstrong "Ain't it the Truth" Outtake; Original Theatrical Trailer.
Lena Horne, Ethel Waters, Eddie "Rochester" Anderson, Duke Ellington and his Orchestra, and Louis Armstrong—head an exciting cast of musical legends in this musical fantasy as temptation pulls a man toward Satan . . . and his loving and God-fearing wife fights for his eternal soul. Seriously injured in a barroom brawl, Little Joe Jackson (Anderson) hovers between life and death, dreaming that he is the centerpiece of an epic struggle between Heaven and Hell for his soul: On his side are the prayers of his loyal, pious wife, Petunia (Waters) battling on the side of darkness is Lucifer Jr. (Rex Ingram) and his most powerful weapon, the beautiful and seductive Georgia Brown, played to the hilt by a stunning Lena Horne. Based on the hit Broadway musical which starred Waters and Ingram, the film is best remembered as the feature directorial debut of the great Vincente Minnelli.
JOE'S APARTMENT (1996)
NEW 2023 1080p HD Master from 4K Scan of Original camera Negative
JOE'S APARTMENT (1996)
Run Time: 100 Minutes
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 5.1 Surround
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.85:1
Product color: COLOR
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by John Payson
Cast: Jerry O'Connell, Megan Ward, Billy West
Special Features: WB Cartoons-THE LADY IN RED (HD), FROM HARE TO ETERNITY (HD), SUPERIOR DUCK (HD); Original Theatrical Trailer
Move from Iowa to New York. Get a place, a job, a girl. Maybe it all can hilariously fall into place when you’ve got pals who stand arm-in-arm-in-arm-in-arm-in-arm with you! Joe’s Apartment, written and directed by John Payson (who expanded his acclaimed MTV short into feature length), is the place for fun when Joe (Jerry O’Connell) discovers he shares it with some prior tenants: 50,000 singing, dancing, wisecracking cockroaches! What bugs Joe is how these cockamamie cucarachas meddle with his romance with lovely Lily (Megan Ward). But he’ll eye the world of creepy-crawlies differently when the tiny bugsters turn from hindering to helping – like it or not!
FAITHLESS (1932)
FAITHLESS (1932)
Run Time: 77 Minutes
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by Harry Beaumont
Cast: Tallulah Bankhead, Robert Montgomery, Hugh Herbert
Special Features: Vintage Classic Short Subjects: Rambling Round Radio Row (HD), The Trans-Atlantic Mystery (HD), The Symphonic Murder Mystery (HD)
The great Tallulah Bankhead stars in this pre-code classic as a giddy heiress who must lose everything in the Great Depression before she can find love--a beautiful socialite who's loveless, shameless and Faithless. Bankhead stars as wealthy Carol Morgan, who spurns the affections of Bill Wade (Robert Montgomery) because he earns a mere $20,000 a year. But when Morgan loses her fortune in the Depression, rather than accepting the man who truly loves her, she becomes the mistress of a still-wealthy, abusive man she does not love. Morgan's life spirals downward, until she finally sinks to selling her body on the streets. But her first "customer" turns out be an understanding policeman who takes her to Wade, who still lives her--and whom Morgan now both appreciates and loves in return. Based on the novel "Tinfoil" by Mildred Cram
Theatrical Trailer
ROVER DANGERFIELD (1991)
NEW 2023 1080p HD Master!
ROVER DANGERFIELD (1991)
Run Time: 84 Minutes
Audio Specs: DTS HD-MA 2.0 STEREO
Aspect Ratio 16x9 1.85:1
Product color: COLOR
Disc Configuration-BD 50
Directed by Jim George and Bob Seeley
Cast: Rodney Dangerfield
Special Features: Classic Warner Bros. Cartoons: DOG DAZE (HD), HOLLYWOOD CANINE CANTEEN (HD); CHOW HOUND (HD); DOG COLLARED (HD), Original Theatrical Trailer
You know the voice, the mannerisms, the red necktie. And you know you'll laugh. Rover Dangerfield, written by Rodney Dangerfield and featuring his inimitable voice talents, is a cartoon fan's best friend. The makers of The Brave Little Toaster team with the comedy legend for this tuneful, all-family treat about a brave basset hound whose every move and joke is purest Rodney, captured as the funnyman was filmed recording his lines so the animators could recreate his uproarious personality. We meet Rover in Las Vegas, living the good life of a high-rolling hound. But -- win some, lose some -- he's transplanted to a farm where he gets the barnyard blues. Soon he has new friends and adventures, setting up and begging the question of whether the pooch will be genuinely happy in his new home. Find out by calling Rover over.
Okay, so that's a Marx Bros semi-classic (not on the same level perhaps as their Zepporific Paramount films, but pretty good), a true Errol Flynn classic, Vincente Minnelli's first film, a cockroach live action/CGI cult classic from the 90s, a Tallulah Bankhead/Robert Montgomery flick from the golden age, and an animated film that is well remembered by... some people, I guess!

This is a seriously cool month, yet again. I might be satisfied with my DVDs for the Marx MGM films, but I'm excited for the other golden age films, particularly the wonderful Cabin in the Sky - a very neat film about the afterlife, with mega black musical talent. I've been so tempted to pick up the DVD, since seeing Cabin on the Criterion Channel a few years ago, but I'm glad I waited. I've never seen Rover, but maybe I should, even though I'd rather have a restored The Man Called Flintstone. No complaints overall, though. I'm going to be buying heavily when we finally get another WA sale. Actually, I just recently picked up a bunch on sale at Amazon, so I already have lots to catch up on.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2023, 3:47 am

Unfortunately, these won’t be sales worthy until a future one (they don’t usually include the newer titles, but stranger things have happened!), but this IS a cool month.

Hahahaha…"semi-classic". Night At The Opera and Day At The Races are considered the apex of their MGMs, with (slightly) more coherent plots than even their gag-based Paramounts. So the Marxes is a must — one of their best — and Joe's Apartment finally gets an OAR release so I can ditch my snapper DVD. Rover is, well, an animated film that isn’t bad and actually has some nice Hyperion animation in it from that time when all studios thought they could be the next Disney.

Those are my musts, but I’m up for all the others further down the line. Have a feeling it’ll be this time next year that another sale comes, though…still no news on MovieZyng's offering this year yet…

Yeah…it’s not worth picking up any WAC DVD now. I have a few I’m waiting for (Mary Mary, Any Wednesday, etc) and they’ll all come to Blu eventually. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 22nd, 2023, 8:43 am

MovieZyng had a brief WA sale a couple of weeks sgo, but it was gone before most people noticed. It wasn't too great, though (buy 2, get one, I think), compared Amazon's recent WA price drops that amounted to better discounts. Maybe they'll do something for Black Friday/Cyber Monday, otherwise we're likely waiting for the spring anniversary sale. Even then, the January titles likely won't be included, but I still have other catching up to do.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by GeffreyDrogon » November 22nd, 2023, 2:30 pm

Ben wrote:
November 22nd, 2023, 3:47 am
Unfortunately, these won’t be sales worthy until a future one (they don’t usually include the newer titles, but stranger things have happened!), but this IS a cool month.

Hahahaha…"semi-classic". Night At The Opera and Day At The Races are considered the apex of their MGMs, with (slightly) more coherent plots than even their gag-based Paramounts. So the Marxes is a must — one of their best — and Joe's Apartment finally gets an OAR release so I can ditch my snapper DVD. Rover is, well, an animated film that isn’t bad and actually has some nice Hyperion animation in it from that time when all studios thought they could be the next Disney.

Those are my musts, but I’m up for all the others further down the line. Have a feeling it’ll be this time next year that another sale comes, though…still no news on MovieZyng's offering this year yet…

Yeah…it’s not worth picking up any WAC DVD now. I have a few I’m waiting for (Mary Mary, Any Wednesday, etc) and they’ll all come to Blu eventually. :)
OAR? WAC? What are those?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 22nd, 2023, 2:35 pm

OAR = Original Aspect Ratio
WAC = Warner Archive Collection

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 22nd, 2023, 6:56 pm

Ben wrote:
November 22nd, 2023, 3:47 am
Hahahaha…"semi-classic". Night At The Opera and Day At The Races are considered the apex of their MGMs, with (slightly) more coherent plots than even their gag-based Paramounts. So the Marxes is a must — one of their best —
(Groucho gives Margaret Dumont a horse pill)
Lawyer: "Isn't that a little large for a pill?"
Groucho: "Well, it was too small for a basketball, and we didn't know what else to do with it...Say, you're rather large for a pill yourself, aren't you?"

Wouldn't say "best", but maybe "Last good one"--They lost Irving Thalberg halfway through, so "Semi-classic" would apply.
I only picked up the DVD at a used-book sale, but might as well upgrade for completion.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2023, 8:26 pm

Randall wrote:
November 22nd, 2023, 8:43 am
MovieZyng had a brief WA sale a couple of weeks sgo…
Well they sure didn’t bother to tell anyone, eh!? You’d have thunk they’d send an email out to their repeat customers…harrumph. :(

I’ve always found Day At The Races funnier than Night At The Opera. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 24th, 2023, 2:17 pm

So happy for Rover Dangerfield! Despite its shortcomings, I love it. It reminded the world to never urinate on a Christmas tree - in song form! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 24th, 2023, 7:06 pm

Ben wrote:
November 22nd, 2023, 8:26 pm
Randall wrote:
November 22nd, 2023, 8:43 am
MovieZyng had a brief WA sale a couple of weeks sgo…
Well they sure didn’t bother to tell anyone, eh!? You’d have thunk they’d send an email out to their repeat customers…harrumph. :(
I only read about it after the fact on the Blu-ray.com forum. Folks were unimpressed with its deals and its longevity. It was so short, there was conjecture that it was put up too early as a mistake.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 18th, 2024, 3:05 pm

Coming to Blu in February, Hanna-Barbera's Superstars 10 - The Complete Film Collection:
In 1987, the legendary animation team of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera brought forth a series of ten feature-length animated features to television, all of which would feature their most popular cartoon characters. These films were sold into syndication as the HANNA-BARBERA SUPERSTARS 10, each providing irresistible entertainment. Yogi Bear and Scooby-Doo each star in three productions, along with a one-time only meeting of THE FLINTSTONES and THE JETSONS, Judy Jetson takes the spotlight in her own adventure, while HUCKLEBERRY HOUND heads up an exciting all-star Western, and the loveable TOP CAT and his gang star is a story set in Beverly Hills. For these productions, Hanna-Barbera was able to use many of the original performers who provided their voice talents in the original incarnations to re-create their roles for these films. Animation voice talents including Daws Butler, Don Messick, and Mel Blanc, are the original voice casts of THE JETSONS, Arnold Stang, Marvin Kaplan, and Leo deLyon once again provide their TOP CAT character's voices, and of course, all of the Scooby-Doo gang is on hand to top off the fun. Each of these unique production provide an opportunity for audiences of several generations to celebrate and welcome back their favorite Hanna-Barbera favorites of years past. This first-ever complete collection, remastered in High-Definition, provides a wealth of animation history, as well as entertainment for youngsters who are discovering these characters for the very first time.

EXTRA BONUS CONTENT:
"SCOOBY GOES HOLLYWOOD" (HD) on SCOOBY-DOO AND THE RELUCTANT WEREFOLF
"YOGI'S ARK LARK" episodes from "YOGI'S GANG" (HD) on "YOGI AND THE INVASION OF THE SPACE BEARS"

Films will be released both as a set, as well as individually. Huge news! So very exciting. I'll probably go for the box set as it works out cheaper. ($69.99 apparently) Just eek! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 18th, 2024, 4:34 pm

Think I’m in for a pristine version of Jetsons Meets Flintstones. :)

This is all a "classic" set, though, as in all these specials are from before the DVD era and onslaught of lower-level "product", so it might be worth going for the bunch. This was about the time I was kind of checking out of the "original run" of HB programming when it was getting more hit and miss, and more miss than hit at that. Shame no Yogi's First Christmas, but obviously that was a bit earlier so not part of this run.