WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by gaastra » October 9th, 2022, 7:54 pm

Would love--

Alice in wonderland or what's a nice kid like you doing in a place like this?
Rock Odyssey (but thanks to music rights may never get it)
Smurfquest movie (movie version not cut into episodes version on boomerang)
Smurfs prime time specials
Thundercats Ho the movie -Movie version and not cut into 5 parts tv show version.
Dexters lab ego trip
Wolf rock tv if wb owns it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 9th, 2022, 9:45 pm

Woah, someone just uploaded that complete Alice special on Youtube today! How Twilighty. :mrgreen:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2022, 2:04 am

TBH, now that they finally released that New Adv. of Tom & Huck boxset that fans had nagged them for since the first announcement of Warner-HB on DVD, I was trying to think what H-B or Ruby-Spears I even still wanted (at least, that wasn't tied up with Columbia music rights, like Quick-Draw McGraw or Huckleberry V2.)

Still, wouldn't mind another volume or boxset of the one-off Saturday Superstar and old-school Afterschool Specials, from the days before teen alcoholism--
I feel old just for remembering where all those nutritional Saturday-morning "Time for Timer!" PSA's came from...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 10th, 2022, 3:05 am

Along with Quickdraw McGraw and Huckleberry Hound volume 2, I'd still like to see:

-- The Great Grape Ape Show
-- Jeannie (a longshot .. but then, I used to think the same about the Fonz or Laverne & Shirley cartoons)
-- Fangface
-- the rest of 2 Stupid Dogs & Super Secret Secret Squirrel
-- the rest of Dexter's Laboratory would be great, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2022, 3:23 am

droosan wrote:
October 10th, 2022, 3:05 am
-- Jeannie (a longshot .. but then, I used to think the same about the Fonz or Laverne & Shirley cartoons)
Rights are keeping that one prisoner, just like a few of the lost Scooby-Doo Movies episodes.
Although now that Crackle has given up and gone completely random, there's often whole series collections that show up there randomly--
Only a few months ago, they had all incarnations of IDOJ, including the Jeannie cartoon (with Mark Hamill singing the theme song), and all incarnations of the Partridge Family, including "Partridge Family 2200 AD".

...Both are remembered a little more fondly than they should be. :?

(And besides, the new "Urusei Yatsura" anime reboot this month reminds us that we already had a much BETTER cartoon version of Jeannie. :mrgreen: )

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2022, 3:50 am

EricJ wrote:TBH, now that they finally released that New Adv. of Tom & Huck boxset that fans had nagged them for since the first announcement of Warner-HB on DVD
I'm guessing you mean "The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn", but that's not a recent release.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 10th, 2022, 8:09 am

Wow, Alice! Totally forgotten about that but just had the memories flooding back. I think it’s funny when people say "I thought it was just a dream" about old stuff they’ve forgotten, but while I semi-remember this, it’s all vague bits and bobs and I’m probably not thinking of it as it was, mixing it in with a lot of other stuff. Yeah, I’d like to see that again.

I’d also like Kelly's Beanstalk special on Blu, and, of what’s been mentioned already, think I still have my VHS of the ThunderCats "movie", which clocked in around 80 minutes I think. And I still have four or so Great Grape Ape cartoons…on 8mm film!

Was there a Huck Finn boxset? The one I have came in a standard Amaray case; I’ve had it for a few years now and didn’t get it when it first came out, so it’s been around a while now, unless it’s something different that I’ve missed…

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 10th, 2022, 11:10 am

I have the Alice record, but obv would love a disc of the show. And maybe I am the only one, but I would love to get a set for the second season of Wait Till Your Father Gets Home. Also, These Are the Days, another atypical HB show. And more votes for Jeannie and Grape Ape.

But really, I am pretty impressed that so much HB ever came to disc already.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 10th, 2022, 11:37 am

I feel old just for remembering where all those nutritional Saturday-morning "Time for Timer!" PSA's came from...
The two time for timer one hour specials were released on vhs but don't know who owns them today. Would love a dvd release.

Both are complete on youtube.

Here's a clip from the second special.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 10th, 2022, 12:45 pm

Randall wrote:
October 10th, 2022, 11:10 am
But really, I am pretty impressed that so much HB ever came to disc already.
Despite how my previous couple of posts might've sounded .. I'm absolutely satisfied with all of WA's H-B DVD sets .. and if what they'd released so far is all we ever got, I agree that it's still an impressive percentage of their 'SatAM' output .. and is much more than I'd thought we'd ever see, as well.

Wayy back when .. I had single-disc LDs of Ricochet Rabbit, Huckleberry Hound, etc, (even a Ruff & Reddy LD!) that contained only 2 or 3 random episodes of each show -- and I was glad to have even just that much, at the time. :)
EricJ wrote:
October 10th, 2022, 3:23 am
(And besides, the new "Urusei Yatsura" anime reboot this month reminds us that we already had a much BETTER cartoon version of Jeannie. :mrgreen: )
I haven't yet checked out the new UY (though, I definitely intend to; the teasers I've seen are intriguing!) .. but -- it is possible to be fond of both Jeannie and Urusei Yatsura (to differing 'degrees'; I'll grant you that much).:mrgreen:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 10th, 2022, 10:45 pm

I still have a number of my H-B laserdiscs, chiefly for the filmed segments with Bill and Joe on the Personal Favorites series (they were also on VHS), including Animal Follies, which has the first Ruff and Reddy serial. Now THAT is one I still treasure!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 11th, 2022, 7:28 am

Yes; 'Animal Follies' and the H-B 'Personal Favorites' were the LDs I'd had, as well.

It's a somewhat bittersweet memory for me, however .. since those LDs were stolen from me by a burglar, about 18 years ago; someone broke-in to the enclosed porch where my LDs were kept at that time, and swiped well over 100 discs (basically about as much as two people could carry, in one go) .. mostly anime box sets and animated titles. :cry:

I managed to recover about half of what was taken when a nearby record store listed several of the stolen discs on eBay, about a week later. The store owner told me he'd bought them from a booth at a 'swap meet' flea market in Pasadena. I paid him what he'd paid for the discs (a pittance, compared to their real worth), and he quickly unlisted them from eBay and 'sold' them back to me.

Over the intervening years, I managed to re-buy most of the stolen titles that I didn't recover .. a few on LD, some on DVD.

But those H-B 'Personal Favorites' LDs (and I think I had about eight of them) were exceptionally rare and hard-to-find titles, that I never re-bought. :(

Another LD that I never re-bought was the Amazing Stories episode "The Family Dog" .. my copy was signed by Brad Bird and Tony Fucile (I'd brought it to an Iron Giant signing event, way back in 1999). Hopefully, the thief got himself a meal or two from whomever bought that disc. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 11th, 2022, 9:28 am

Oh, man. That's crappy. Of all the things to steal! I know I'd rather have to replace a TV then my animation LDs.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 11th, 2022, 1:34 pm

I can't even begin to imagine! How horrible. So sorry that happened to you.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2022, 6:37 pm

That’s awful. Shows how cool LDs we’re back in the day though. I hate to say, but I still have my Family Dog LD (and the boxset of the subsequent series), though obviously not signed. I wonder if the b*****ds that took them even realised what they had on their hands? :(