WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by Ben » November 6th, 2020, 8:53 pm

And the EXCELLENT BBC documentary from the late 80s. Loads of top talking heads, and a typically serious look at all the insanity. This was included on a previous Looney Tunes set, but in two parts, I think. Plus, y'know, DVD artefacts. So this will be a nice, as good as the SD master, version, and a terrific addition, which I asked for as far back as the Droopy set on DVD! Now for Cinema Arts' Camera Three interview footage with Tex to be shown in full on Volume 3 next...that would be very cool!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 7th, 2020, 3:47 pm

An excellent doc it is. I have it on tape so that will get retired.

Shame we have to continue waiting for that final Screwy Squirrel short!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 7th, 2020, 8:52 pm

I’ll be keeping my prized VHS very safe: it’s a three hour off-air tape with a bunch of super-cool serious animation filmmaker documentaries on it, including Tex, Walt, Chuck, Art Babbit, Richard Williams. It’s one that I keep in tip-top condition, so I’m glad I won’t need to plunder it for Tex in future, at least!

As for Screwey...well, they need to leave us wanting more, right? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 7th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Ben wrote:
November 7th, 2020, 8:52 pm
As for Screwey...well, they need to leave us wanting more, right? :)
Despite my prediction a few pages back, it looks like they've held both Swing Shift Cinderella and Wild And Woolfy for volume 3 .. though, at least 'Red' does have random brief appearances in a few cartoons, in this volume.

Another major 'Red' cartoon held for volume 3 is Uncle Tom's Cabaña .. which isn't nearly as 'bad' as its title might imply. However -- since Big Heel-watha made it onto volume 1 uncut -- hopefully, there's nothing to worry about there.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 8th, 2020, 12:48 pm

I think this is niche and the disclaimer on the back is clear enough that these will be uncut, as is the Archives way. And there’s always the LaserDisc! I’m just glad to get all the Tomorrow films in one place! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 23rd, 2020, 1:59 pm

DVD versions of Volume 1 and Volume 2 are being released in tandem with the Blu. Up on the WBShop, too.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » December 17th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Early word is the quality on Tex dipped. Some shorts look as good as the first volume while others look awful. Supposedly a lot of DVNR. Shame if that's the case. My copy should be arriving soon.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 25th, 2021, 9:20 pm

Uh-oh...

After many, many, many years, George Feltenstein is leaving Warner Archive...!!!

He’s there until almost the end of Feb, but this comes as a bit of a shock! A propagator of many home video ideas, from the big multidisc cartoon LaserDisc boxsets to collector edition DVDs, the manufactured on demand concept was his, launching the Archive Collection as a way to mine WB's massive library faster and deeper into the catalog.

We can only hope that these releases keep coming with the same amount of dedication and passion. His presence will certainly be missed at the studio, but let’s hope his influence will continue... :o

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 25th, 2021, 9:53 pm

Ditto. Uh-oh.

George has been such an immense force for good, that it is difficult to not think that any change would by necessity be a step backward.

Warner Archive has been a wonderful label, even if some fans wanted more releases and more new bonus features. I know I am very grateful for all the Hanna-Barbera sets, Bogie films, musicals, and all the greater and lesser classics that WA has put out.

Yes, hopefully this will continue. But with HBO Max being pushed, one hopes this is not an early sign of a winding down of their home video releases.

Of course, my wallet might benefit, but that's beside the point. There are still tons of titles in the Warner vault to be exploited on physical media.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 26th, 2021, 6:56 am

*Is*, Rand, is! Not "has been"! Let’s drop the past tense and try and keep the current positive vibes flowing towards towards them! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » February 5th, 2021, 11:03 pm

NEW 2021 1080p HD Masters!

THUNDARR THE BARBARIAN: THE COMPLETE SERIES

Run Time 462:00
Subtitles English SDH
Sound Quality MONO - English, DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
Aspect Ratio 1.33:1, 4 X 3
Product Color COLOR
Disc Configuration BD 50, BD 25
Special Feature: "Lords of Light: The Story of Thundarr the Barbarian" featurette.

Civilization is cast into ruin when a runaway planet speeds between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction. Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn from the ashes with a savage landscape, strange creatures and a primitive sense of justice. But, one man fights to spread peace throughout the land: He is Thundarr the Barbarian, and you can own all 21 exciting adventures starring Thundarr and his companions Ookla the Mok and sorceress Princess Ariel. Using their strength, courage and wits, plus Thundarr’s magical Sunsword, they journey from village to village, liberating slaves and battling all kinds of beasts, mutants, wizards, thieves and robots. The future of Earth may be shrouded in darkness, but Thundarr the Barbarian bursts into action as a shining symbol of hope for humanity.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 6th, 2021, 12:55 am

I love Thundarr. I reviewed the DVD, but I think I need the Blu-ray.

And I am so glad that they removed the "Hanna-Barbera Collection" banner!! Correcting that mistake is almost reason enough to upgrade.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 7th, 2021, 2:34 pm

Never did get Thundarr on DVD, so I'm kinda tempted.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 8th, 2021, 12:14 am

The only Barbarian cartoon I'm familiar with...

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 9th, 2021, 2:33 pm

Love "Dave the Barbarian"! Such an underrated show. "Nice material! Is it chiffon?" Another show missing from Disney+...