WB Archive Collection: Discs On Demand!

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: WB Archive Collection: DVDs On Demand!

Post by Ben » September 12th, 2019, 6:15 pm

On DVD, especially the early titles, Warner Archives used whatever video masters that were available to them (and, admittedly, were more than up front about this), but on Blu-ray their discs have been better than those from other studios, including "older sibling" Warner Home Video (the two are distinctively different departments).

Occasionally there’s a crossover title, like Johnny Quest or Jetsons, where WA produce the title (many geeks prefer WA discs, as they regularly use BD-50s as opposed to WHV's BD-25s, so better encodes with higher bitrates) but it gets wide WHV distribution. Those titles are mostly promoted by the Archives, but do not sport the WA badge on their sleeves.

But, yes, in short...the Archive discs, as Blu-ray at least, usually always look this good. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 12th, 2019, 6:58 pm

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus was from a tape based source I believe. That's why the picture quality is so-so.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 12th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Yes, with their Blu-ray releases, WA usually uses newer transfers/restorations, except with reissues of previous WHV BD discs, which also normally were of top quality already. The WA DVDs can be a mixed bag, though at least their packaging and chapter stops improved a lot over the years.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 13th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Also, weren't the 60's Jetsons/Jonny Quest (and hopefully Flintstones, if they ever get around to it :mrgreen: ) produced on film stock before airing?
Blu-ray is still working out the bugs on remastering video source, and hasn't gotten it quite right yet, but early film-sourced series are the first ones upgraded for Blu sets.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 13th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Not sure if it's been confirmed, but I had assumed that the early H-B shows are on film.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 13th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Yes, all HB stuff is on film, well into the 80s.

As for video or standard def on Blu-ray, it is, alas, about as good as it’s ever going to get.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 17th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Word is that the new Scooby release is incredibly cheap in terms of packaging. Despite the ridiculous price, it's apparently another disaster like Batman TAS. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 17th, 2019, 11:24 pm

Dacey wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 9:58 pm
Word is that the new Scooby release is incredibly cheap in terms of packaging. Despite the ridiculous price, it's apparently another disaster like Batman TAS. :(
Well, it looked like it would be easily damaged from the photos. If I were in the market for it, I'd certainly prefer to buy in store rather than ordering online.

Like everyone else, my Batman TAS exterior box arrived dented, but I just threw it in the recycling bin. The interior case was much nicer.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 18th, 2019, 10:22 pm

The interior case for Scooby is said to be cheap, too. Very cheap, cardboard sleeves that allow the discs to slide.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 18th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Then I am quite satisfied with my decision to wait for the standard packaging.

In other news, the Sat AM live action series Shazam! has been remastered in HD, and apparently looks fantastic on the DC app. And now it's coming to Blu via the Archive.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 19th, 2019, 3:54 pm

That's a misfortune on the Scooby packaging. If it's any consolation, Scooby supposedly looks better than ever on Blu and is an improvement over the DVDs. So that's something...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 19th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Oh, I look forward to the improved video... But in standard packaging.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » November 21st, 2019, 8:43 am

Not WA but the happy days cartoons are coming to dvd. Only two of the three shows however. The best one mork and mindy (with the voice of robin williams!) is not listed!

https://www.facebook.com/tvshowsondvd/p ... __tn__=K-R

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2019, 1:13 pm

Ayyy! 8)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 21st, 2019, 3:48 pm

I love the crazily unwieldy full title of this, plus the nutty concept...certainly a unique approach to a Happy Days cartoon. That cover art, though...someone needs to go back in time and do that again! Still, good to see it coming out now that WB (owners of the show) have worked out their rights issues with Paramount/CBS (licensors of the characters).