Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: A new 2D Pooh is being made!

Post by Darkblade » November 11th, 2010, 2:50 pm

Christopher Robin's voice is different as well. They seem to have given him the British accent. And Owl's voice sounds off character.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 11th, 2010, 3:12 pm

My initial thought was, smoother animation aside, this looked exactly just like another DTV movie, with nothing that really shouted out "Feature Animation".

The backgrounds are neat, though, and Christopher Robin (who should always have a British accent) looks very much like a "classic" Disney character, I think, and the white eyes help him look younger/more in keeping with the classic feel (which might be something to do with another thing I noticed, below), but the Xerox look that really made the originals feel like living illustrations is ultimately missing, even though they had developed the CAPS system (I know, not in use any more) to mimic that look on the John Henry short.

I didn't mind Owl's new voice...he's been through a few anyway and it didn't stick out as much as I thought it might, buy Eyeore is waaaay off...much too gravelly, which is a shame. And that song track! Ugh! Really not Pooh material at all, however it's used - come back Carly Simon all is forgiven! ;)

It is nice to see the book format return, though they did do that with The Tigger Movie, which really wasn't such a bad film that they should basically ignore it. I'm torn over the animation: it looks good, but I was "right" in that the digital cleanliness of it is too "pure" for Pooh and doesn't help it look like very well made and high budget DTV or TV material.

It doesn't all work...the last shot of Christopher and Pooh wandering off is very clumsy, on Christopher's feet especially, though it's interesting that the book ends with "And that was only the beginning...", which could be confusing: is this a prequel or a reboot? In which case, how would Tigger be there already? Are they planning on reintroducing the characters (like the Heffalumps?) in this one?

I'm intrigued, but probably not enough to see this in a theater. It's likely to be short (75-85 minutes?) and without anything like a big action sequence or big screen spectacle in the offering, it's not going to appeal to people who'll pick Harry Potter instead.

In fact, box office is going to be deadly on this one, unfortunately...Potter will quash it even for the pre-school kids, who will no doubt be dragged to Potter with the rest of the family. The the final logo looks not far off the generic Pooh logo that's on all the merchandise seems indication that the film will be nice and nostalgic, but not anything particularly "special", and not, from the looks of it here, like anything to rival the three original featurettes/Many Adventures feature.

And that's a shame, since like Princess And The Frog, it's not enough just to say that "traditional animation" is back at Disney's...Frog needed to have been a knockout, not just a return to the late 90s form, and this Pooh would have done well to really surprise rather than feel like a paler next installment.

I await new clips/more info with great interest, but I can't say I'm half as excited as I was before I saw this teaser to see this new Pooh film. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Daniel » November 11th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Ben wrote:And that song track! Ugh! Really not Pooh material at all, however it's used - come back Carly Simon all is forgiven! ;)
OMG, I'm literally laughing! :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Sunday » November 12th, 2010, 2:47 am

So I suppose I'm in the minority when it comes to saying the Keane track meshed with the trailer's presentation pitch perfect? I've listened to the group for years and I grew up on all manner of Pooh, but never did I ever put the two together till now and I'm struck by how warm and comforted I am with the pairing.

I'm thoroughly excited about this project and, if it comes to it, will surely be seeing it on that July release date instead of the Harry Potter finale.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 12th, 2010, 9:47 am

Well, that's at least $9 that Pooh will make on opening Friday. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » November 12th, 2010, 10:06 am

Sunday wrote:I've listened to the group for years and I grew up on all manner of Pooh, but never did I ever put the two together till now and I'm struck by how warm and comforted I am with the pairing.
Same here, actually. I found it to be a surprisingly pleasant match.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » November 12th, 2010, 10:15 am

I found the song to be very fitting actually.
The trailer is very nice!
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Re:

Post by James » November 12th, 2010, 11:55 am

Ben wrote:...I didn't mind Owl's new voice...he's been through a few anyway and it didn't stick out as much as I thought it might, buy Eyeore is waaaay off...much too gravelly, which is a shame...
C'mon! Eyeore is voiced by Bud Luckey! Gotta love that!

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » November 12th, 2010, 2:44 pm

Yes, I waited in years!

LOL!

Who made this guide!?

[LINK REMOVED FOR PROFOUND USE OF EXPLETIVE LANGUAGE AND DISTURBING SUGGESTION]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 12th, 2010, 4:05 pm

Ah, so Bud Luckey is the one voicing Eeyore, (the correct way to spell our gloomy donkey! ;)) that's definitely not his current VA. Sounds close enough, but think he sounds a bit more like the original voice. Strange to replace some of the voices and bring back two originals. Owl has the worst so far in my books. Ick. (Hey, at least it's not Piglet!)

The song used in the trailer I found OK, but a pretty unusual choice. Sounds more suited for an independent film, not very Pooh-ish material. Aside from the given, Kenny Loggins would've been nice to hear again.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Post by Darkblade » November 24th, 2010, 11:53 am

Disney's marketing makes a poor choice yet again. I found out that this is going up against the finale of deathly hallows. Why is it that Disney's marketing's poor choices make me believe that the marketers dont care about 2D animation?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by EricJ » November 24th, 2010, 5:20 pm

Daniel wrote:Ah, so Bud Luckey is the one voicing Eeyore, (the correct way to spell our gloomy donkey! ;))
Replacing the old video-era Eeyore voice, Peter Cullen, ie.....Optimus Prime? :shock:

(Why did I never recognize that basement-bass voice before?
That's okayyy, Autobots, no one ever notices our mission anyway...)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » November 25th, 2010, 12:30 am

Peter Cullen was a great Eeyore.

Honestly, this just feels like John Lasseter trying to get one of his own guys into the voice cast. You know, to make it "better," of course.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Otis8 » November 27th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Daniel wrote:Also, Walt Disney Animation Studios posted on their Facebook to expect a trailer next week! Yay! It will likely be attached to Tangled.
Buzzz, wrong! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Post by Dusterian » January 10th, 2011, 10:26 pm

New poster for Winnie the Pooh

A first poster for Disney’s upcoming Winnie the Pooh has just been posted online over at the Internet Movie Poster Awards. On a note of interest, the poster says that the movie is coming “this spring,” which would indicate a possible release date change. The current release date for the film is July 15th, which would put it up against the final Harry Potter film.
I don't like the poster, for a certain reason.

I asked others, and I want to ask people here. What do people here think of the two-word line of dialogue in the poster? And why were those words chosen?

Click here for the poster