Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2011, 7:08 am

Uh oh...here we go again. :(

Okay, I will admit that when I first saw it, I thought "now why did they have to go and make that joke?".

But then, the situation calls for it: Piglet can see the trouble coming and his "Oh Pooh" is actually a very clever usage of the words, taking the essence of Pooh's "oh bother" with Piglet's much-used calling after "Pooh". So you get the "Oh Pooh" meaning that Piglet is expressing himself that Pooh has come up with yet another harebrained scheme, and you get the "Oh Pooh" meaning that Piglet is very much aware of the consequences about to happen.

There's also a third reason that's on there, and you won't like it. Winnie The Pooh is old fashioned. And, yes, we like it that way. But there's also the possibility that this movie won't sell very well to Toy Story/Megamind/even Tangled kids. So they need to inject a bit of "moderninity" (I just made that up and really like it!) into it. You won't like it, Dusty, just like you didn't like Tangled, but it's going to help this Pooh film feel more like it's been made for these times and not like it's some 1960s reissue.

Actually, that's what I really have a problem with in this poster: the title says nothing at all about this film. To an average moviegoer, is this a Winnie The Pooh reissue? Is it another compendium of previous adventures? What happens in it? Will there be a Blustery Day? A Honey Tree? Will Pooh meet Tigger Too or any other new characters? Perhaps he'll have Many Adventures or create a Day For Eeyore, but this title and poster doesn't express any of that.

It just looks like another Winnie The Pooh movie, but nothing special. Not a return to the original form. I still think they should have been clever and called it The Further Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh, as John Musker referred to it a year ago. Secondly, the white background doesn't really help: there's again nothing to differentiate it from any other Pooh project. I bet that many older people will think it's a Honey Tree poster from 1966. Yes, that's the intention, to go back to those original featurettes, but it's so retro it may as well have come from the 60s!

With the title and the poster not helping this new Pooh feature feel like the kids of today need to go and see it, it turns out that the "Oh Pooh" line is actually the best thing about this teaser image. And if they don't get their marketing on this sorted out, they're going to find it also stands for a lot more concerning this movie when it comes out against Harry Potter and makes $3.50...

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » January 11th, 2011, 3:25 pm

I could be wrong, but it almost seems as though Disney has already brushed this film off as a bomb...even though it hasn't been released yet.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 11th, 2011, 11:53 pm

Well, I don't get the opening opposite Potter. This feels more like an early summer, maybe even Easter kind of film. And they just don't seem to be making anything of it...it feels very much like just another Pooh film, not anything old or new.

Maybe you're right, there, Dacey. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Winnie the Pooh (2011)

Post by Hewylewis » January 12th, 2011, 12:51 am

Ugh, god Why can't people just accept the fact that it might be a good movie? I for one can't waitto see it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re:

Post by Whippet Angel » January 12th, 2011, 5:34 am

Perhaps they're being careless with the marketing because they're banking on the fact that it'll make most profit from home video/merchandising? :?
Ben wrote:There's also a third reason that's on there, and you won't like it. Winnie The Pooh is old fashioned. And, yes, we like it that way. But there's also the possibility that this movie won't sell very well to Toy Story/Megamind/even Tangled kids. So they need to inject a bit of "moderninity" (I just made that up and really like it!) into it. You won't like it, Dusty, just like you didn't like Tangled, but it's going to help this Pooh film feel more like it's been made for these times and not like it's some 1960s reissue.
Arg, so true... And so annoying. It reminds me of when 101 Dalmatians was released on DVD a few years back. I remember seeing a commercial for it on Nickelodeon that actually added some sound effect bits that made the film appear to have potty humor jokes. I have to wonder if any kids were disappointed that none of that was actually in the film. :P

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » January 12th, 2011, 11:17 am

Before the better! :D

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 12th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Thinking even more on this poster, Dusty...just be glad (though I bet you it was suggested!) that the tag isn't "Pooh Happens". :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Guys, thats the UK POSTER. I should know because I'm from the UK. I find the poster neat and besides a movie theater in my hometown had people rejoicing with joy because it isnt a CG animated film. Anyways...I shudder to think on how Disney's marketing will mess up the poster for the Americans to make it "Hip". i hope for the love of sweet nectar they wont do that. But then again...I was always sick of American marketing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 12th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Okay, because some people on another site said they didn't even think of that. And I said, how could you not, all children will immediately think of that!

I also saw that 101 Dalmatians ad where the horse farted. Yes, I said it. And apparently they also tried advertising that showcased Sebastian burping in The Little Mermaid, when I don't think he did (when he was running around the palalce, did he?)

And I just wanted to say I think it's very clearly wrong to do this, at least to Walt's characters, and he must be rolling in his grave. I really don't understand how they can just do this stuff and get away with it.

But I won't belabor the point, I'm letting you know how I feel on this issue in this post.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » January 12th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Farting horse? I never saw that ad.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 13th, 2011, 8:56 am

I don't know how a cremated man could roll in his grave, but I get your point. And we get yours.

Really, we get your point. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 21st, 2011, 5:20 pm

Too bump this up a few trees of honey I found the American poster for pooh.

If this doesn't work you can always try this one.
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/anoth ... oster.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » January 21st, 2011, 5:24 pm

Hmm...I don't know what to think. It's nice but...what's with the action poses and the monster shape in the tree tops. Then again, it IS just a teaser...Plus, its pretty badass to see Kanga in a pith helmet striking such an awesome samurai pose!!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2011, 3:44 pm

That's another international poster, not the US one. :)

Liking the "monster in the trees", but otherwise this still feels like another conveyor belt Pooh.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » January 25th, 2011, 6:21 am

Just hope that an overprotective parent doesnt complain about the poster's monster in the trees over nothing.