Tron: Legacy / The Next Day

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:15 pm

OMG!!

Okay I just sat and watched that three times straight with the biggest grin on my face.

That's just brilliant. Stays close to the original intent but just shows how far things have come. A BIT Matrixy in places, but then again the concept for The Matrix is kind of ripped of Tron to begin with, so all's fair. The Wendy Carlos style music (is she back too?) is great and what's that with Real World Flynn living in the Cyber World!!??

I'm LOVING the son of Flynn/revenge of Clu plotlines and that they're making this a real sequel as opposed to "what can we simply do to remake/update/make money off an old failed franchise".

Of course, that's what they're doing, but there's at least a real attempt to make this something more. I'm breathing faster, and getting more excited. As I said before somewhere, could this be the many-years-later sequel that actually delivers?

And we get "Tron: Legacy" a year earlier? Wow. Just wow. :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 26th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Ben wrote:OMG!!

Okay I just sat and watched that three times straight with the biggest grin on my face.

That's just brilliant. Stays close to the original intent but just shows how far things have come. A BIT Matrixy in places, but then again the concept for The Matrix is kind of ripped of Tron to begin with, so all's fair. The Wendy Carlos style music (is she back too?) is great and what's that with Real World Flynn living in the Cyber World!!??
Well, his "disappearance" some years ago is still raising legend in Silicon Valley:
http://www.flynnlives.com 8)
http://www.flynnlives.com/images/whoisthefull.jpg

(All of which date back to arcades, underground weblinks, mysterious packages and the "Flynn Lives" Organization, in the first place...)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 26th, 2009, 6:42 pm

Yeah Eric...just like Lord Akiyama posted at the top of this thread. :(

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » July 27th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Tron Viral Campaign Report

So my friends and I journeyed over to 1st Avenue and K Street, based on reports from the Flynn Lives web site and fliers handed out during the day. Along with a group of fans at 9:30pm on Thursday night, we were greeted by members of the Flynn Lives Organization.

We are briefed in participating in a Scavenger Hunt for three Flynn Lives posters that were hung up around the Gaslamp area. On those posters are secret codes which are used to piece together coordinates for a secret location somewhere in downtown San Diego. The majority of us were given packages that contained information on what we were to do, the map, a black light, and a Flynn's Arcade coin token.

In an effort to work faster, fans gathered and worked together in groups as we went off into the Gaslamp area in search of the Flynn Lives posters.

Upon finding the Flynn Lives posters, the first thing fans searched for was which number poster it was exactly. To make the task a little tricky, each poster is numbered and the codes have to match to the particular poster it is found upon.

Both the finding of the poster number and the codes they contain requires the use of the black light. To make things more difficult, they are printed in very small front sizes.

When all the codes have been uncovered, they piece together coordinates on a map to a destination fans are to go to. Following the exact route is not necessary, and would have been rather tiring.

The destination led us to 6th Avenue and K Street on the 6th Avenue side. It was here that fans discovered...

FLYNN'S ARCADE!!!

Fan Cam of the unveiling of Flynn's Arcade: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pri8LPcauRo

We are let into the arcade in groups, where we find ourselves literally in a time-warp, arriving in the 80's. 80's arcade machines, table hockey, 80's music, and even actual working Space Paranoids machines!

Fan Cam inside Flynn's Arcade: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHIRCjr1DM8

After about ten-fifteen minutes, the power begins to flicker with Journey songs playing in an out in-between. Then, a secret passageway is opened from behind the Tron machine. Inside leads to a hallway containing conceptual art for the new Lightcycles. Playing in the hallway is the new score Daft Punk composed for the film.

And at turning the corner at the end of the hallway, we see a live model of the new Lightcycle!

Fan Cam from power flickering to live model of Lightcycle with Daft Punk score playing: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va-05JPQ5Xk

At the end, we are led out and received free swag for participating in the scavenger hunt. We were given a copy of the Flynn Lives poster (I have yet to check to see if it has any black light secrets) and one of two T-shirts: Flynn Lives of Flynn's Arcade. My friends and I chose Flynn's Arcade.

I do not know if it is still open past Comic Con, but it was sure as hell an awesome experience.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 27th, 2009, 8:42 pm

That's.... incredible.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 28th, 2009, 1:01 am

Sooo...Anyone wanna go beat up the next idiot who thinks he's clever for reciting the old Simpsons line?

(Ah, sweet 80's cultural vindication.) :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 28th, 2009, 8:00 am

What old Simpsons line?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 28th, 2009, 11:58 am

Halloween episode VI:
You're going to be entering a different cyber-dimension--Anyone here see 'Tron'?"
(collective-assorted) "Umm....no? 0_0"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 28th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I think the general tone here is one of being impressed rather than finding the sardonic comments, Eric.

As Rand said, that's incredible. And Lord Akiyama definitely made the right choice with the Flynn's Arcade shirts. I'm loving the attention to detail on this, and the redone Tron poster that looks like it's for the game from Encom? Nice touch.

Darn...I just saw something ultra cool that makes me wish I'd been there. Very nice report Akiyama, and thanks for posting!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 28th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Ben wrote:I think the general tone here is one of being impressed rather than finding the sardonic comments, Eric.
(Well, yeah, but he asked which line the lame pop-identification/reference showoffs used, so I identified it so we could go beat them up for their heresy...) :D
As Rand said, that's incredible. And Lord Akiyama definitely made the right choice with the Flynn's Arcade shirts.

Disney is very definitely getting the hang of this convention-hype thing.
(Qv. the earlier CES'09, where the Disney booth displays seemed to be down on opening day, execs called for repair support to fix it, and in walked...Handy Manny!)

This, however, raises it to an Art Form. 8)
The bar has been raised for next year's SDCC to top it.
I'm loving the attention to detail on this, and the redone Tron poster that looks like it's for the game from Encom? Nice touch.

In the movie (and historical '82-'09 backstory) OUR world's game of Tron was Flynn's biggest hit after Space Paranoids, and Encom wondered where he had come up with the inspiration for it...
Still, Disney could produce a working Space Paranoids game all this time, and we never got one??

(...Not even at the Retro Games room at WDW's Disneyquest??)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 29th, 2009, 6:46 am

Eric...I've <I>read</I> the backstory and am fully enveloped in Flynn's world! I was just stating that the poster was neat!

And <I>you</I> brought up the Simpsons reference while we were all being a bit more awestruck over on the other side of the screen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » July 29th, 2009, 1:52 pm

Don't know what's up here but it appears Eric was being "awestruck" too, Ben. He talked about beating up the next idiot who recites the Simpsons line making fun of Tron. He wasn't agreeing with it. To semi-quote one of my favorite Simpsons lines "He ain't fer it, he's agin' it!"

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 29th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Classic. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » July 29th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Hopefully they'll blitz advertize this thing on the disney channel and run the first film a couple of times for good measure. Am I asking for too much?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 1st, 2009, 11:31 am

Nope...you're asking for exactly what they'll probably do (in addition to a Blu-ray release in the run up). :)