Tron: Legacy / The Next Day

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 6th, 2011, 6:02 pm

Michael Sheen..."will be huge"? I think with his critical success and popping up in any number of well-seen films, he's about as big as he's going to get. And being like Sparrow and Molina? Yes, that was part of the problem with his character.

Sam Flynn on a motorcycle? Yeah, perhaps cliched...but it, like, tied in with the lightcycles right!? Wouldn't have been so good if he'd been a skateboard champ. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Tron: Legacy

Post by LotsoA113 » January 6th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Ben wrote:Michael Sheen..."will be huge"? I think with his critical success and popping up in any number of well-seen films, he's about as big as he's going to get.

Yes, but I have a feeling in 2011/2012 he'll do some big Oscar flick and he'll just become extremely huge and get massive award hype.

And yes, to a degree, him being a Jack Sparrow wannabe is a bit odd, but hey, at least he's better than Molina in Prince of Persia.

As for him on a motorcycle..look, there are WAAAAY too many rebellious type teens in films. Teens have more than that emotion y'know. Frankly, I wish Sam had been a bit of a nerd or a bit cocky, two qualities that were like Kevin and thus would've made them seem more compatible.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 7th, 2011, 9:33 am

Well, he got big award-type hype playing David Frost in Frost/Nixon, even though he wasn't Oscar nominated. He'll probably win an award some day, but I don't think he's going to become any bigger than he is. Especially if he keeps making odd choices like Tron.

I quite liked Molina in Persia. Best thing in a loooong film.

I agree with the motorcycle rebel stereotype in films, but they really did need that for the lightcycles, it wasn't just being lazy. And he wasn't an average teen either: he was responsible for a huge company and was highly intelligent (like his Dad). He didn't want to take responsibility for ENCOM, but his upbringing would have been that he'd have been such a nerd or too cocky. Losing your Dad in whatever way does have quite an effect on someone, you know.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 17th, 2011, 9:16 am

Haha...just as I posted the following in the Tangled thread, guess what happens?
Ben wrote:Since posting, [Tron: Legacy] has become something of a moderate hit. It's certainly being looked upon by Disney as a success rather than a might have been. While I don't think they're going to greenlight the two back-to-back sequels, I wouldn't be surprised now, by the time the home video sales are taken into account, if at least one sequel happens. They'd probably shave off some budget (then again all the hard work has been done for Legacy) and demand a more wider audience pleaser, but less spent would mean more back in the long run.
As just posted in another thread:
http://www.joblo.com/is-a-tron-legacy-s ... greenlight

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 19th, 2011, 3:17 am

Michael Sheen got lots of recognition for playing Tony Blair in The Queen as well. I'm with Ben, he isn't going to get any bigger. I liken him to the Australian actor Geoffrey Rush. He will be recognisable to most people, but many won't remember his name but when told a movie he was in the person will go 'Oh yeah, that guy'.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 19th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Yeah...and Geoffrey Rush won an Oscar! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 19th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Indeed he did.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 24th, 2011, 4:03 pm

And is very visible in two big movies this year: The King's Speech (in which he truly deserves a Supporting Actor nomination) and Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, where he's back as Barbossa.

Sheen's actually much more limited, despite his chameleon abilities.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » February 3rd, 2011, 5:04 pm

Early Blu-Ray info:

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=73781

Looking pretty sweet...except that it looks like we'll have to shell out extra for the 3-D disc that most of us won't need at this point if we want to get the original "Tron." :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 3rd, 2011, 10:51 pm

The Identity Disk looks pretty darn cool 8) , but for those of us who don't consider Legacy a keeper, Tron: Classic (as it is referred to) should also be available separately on Blu/combo:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/517d3jgO1pL.jpg
Last edited by EricJ on February 3rd, 2011, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » February 3rd, 2011, 10:54 pm

I thought for sure this is the time for Eric J to just pop in and note how the disc looks cheesy or something. Huh. He thought it was good. Nice to hear. I believe he is sort of the "Armond White" of the bunch, eh with his usual nonsensical remarks?

As for the Blu-Ray...looks great. Glad to hear Tron will be avilable seperatly. i MIGHT just go with the light discs though. Choices, choices.
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » February 4th, 2011, 1:15 am

Armond White? Nah, I wouldn't really consider Eric to be a troll. :wink:

I like the looks of the set, but I don't want to pay extra for a useless 3D disc.

Sorry, but no 3D in my house unless you can make it happen without the glasses and the headaches. Arg, it seems like even after many of us have finally converted over to blu-ray, we still can't win.
Last edited by Whippet Angel on February 4th, 2011, 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 4th, 2011, 1:26 am

Whippet Angel wrote:I like the looks of the set, but I don't want to pay extra for a useless 3D disc.
Sorry, but no 3D in my house unless you can make it happen without the glasses and the headaches.
You may have to settle for "Without those heavy battery-operated glasses", as the industry's reconsidering shutter glasses, and trying to lean more toward polarized-style Real-3D "passive" filters on next year's screen models.
And until they make up their mind and finish fighting the Second Early Adopter Battle, I've got plenty of time to save up. (And I'm rooting for them to go Passive, too, although the Shutter looks pretty darn good at Best Buy.)

And since normal TV's can't broadcast the second-signal anyway, I assume that if you play a Blu-3D on a normal player, you only get 2D anyway? Unfortunately, they give you the 2-D disk anyway, and I don't need three copies of the same movie.
(I've only played 3-D downloads from Playstation Store on my regular set and capable PS3, and they look nice, clean and flat.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 4th, 2011, 2:45 am

After seeing what 3D can really do, with Tangled, I must admit that I'm now just that little bit tempted to look into home 3D before I build my ultimate set-up later this year (or early next, the way our house build is going!). Guess I have more than enough time to see what the next stage of 3D is going to be, but I may as well start collecting specific disc combos so that I don't have to buy again (just as well that there's next to nothing out already that I'd go back and shell out for, except maybe NB4X).

So I'll likely go for the full Tron pack, even though the 3D here didn't look that wild to me, but that single original Tron disc might be a keeper too. On the other hand, might wait for the second sequel and just pick up the inevitable trilogy... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » February 4th, 2011, 9:29 am

Well the pricing is out and unless you want to pay an unholy $80 for the Tron DOuble Movie Pack...save the cash! The big lightdisc one is $100..even the economic in me may just loose to the nerd in me on this battle :D