Tron: Legacy / The Next Day

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 19th, 2009, 10:15 am

Amazon's digital download special for today (8/19): The Tron Soundtrack for $1.99

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=163856011

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 19th, 2009, 11:54 am

Personally,

I'd still rather buy the CD and have the option of mp3 conversion if I want it.

Yes, I know mp3's can be converted to AIFF or WAV files but it's not the same. Digital sound has the problem from the beginning of upper and lower end frequencies being trimmed to fit it all on a 5-inch disc and mp3 only exacerbates the compression/sound deletion issues more. Frankly, I don't hear enough of a difference from analog format (vinyl) to go back to that but I do hear how awful sound gets with ultra-high compression.

CD is still better quality sound than mp3 and at least I have a physical copy of the music that will last for many years regardless of whether I trade up my iPod or stop using it altogether.

That's the problem with digital downloads. If you lose your license to it, change machines, or have a hard drive crash, you can essentially lose everything you've downloaded.

That's why I still prefer the 5-inch optical disc, antiquated or not. Cases have gotten better over the years and now you can fit two CD's in ultra-thin jewel cases meaning 4 CDs will fit in a standardized slot in a single rack space. Space really isn't an issue if you're clever...

I kind of wish SuperCD or DVD-Audio with their higher quality 5.1 sound had caught on but they obviously didn't because of incompatibility issues, consumers confusion and lack of desire to upgrade, and those technologies are as good as dead in the mainstream marketplace. For the time being, we can still buy CD's and I don't see that changing as long as venues exist for the sale of CD's, dedicated record stores or not.

The Tron Soundtrack is available as an import CD through Amazon.com for a reasonable price. (Got to say I've got to look a LOT MORE often at Amazon for imports... I make the all-time mistake of looking for stuff in American stores instead of online. I've already gotten a few reasonably-priced imports like The Last Unicorn through Amazon, too.) It's one of the few things I care for owning from the motion picture in addition to working emulations of the original arcade games.

Ditto on The Black Hole soundtrack on CD if it ever makes the transition to digital. The Black Hole soundtrack is still only available in physical media as vinyl to my knowledge... Maybe an mp3 version exists but that's not what I want...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » August 19th, 2009, 1:16 pm

GeorgeC wrote:Ditto on The Black Hole soundtrack on CD if it ever makes the transition to digital. The Black Hole soundtrack is still only available in physical media as vinyl to my knowledge... Maybe an mp3 version exists but that's not what I want...
Too bad, as it's already on iTunes Store US, if that's what you mean. :)
(Um, there's this unexplainable reason why a lot of Disney CD's keep turning up on Apple?)

So is the Tron soundtrack, if that's how we free-associationed the conversation out here from.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » August 19th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Not to dismiss your other points which are valid, let me add this: First, Amazon uses MP3s with no DRM so there are no licences to worry about. Second, $1.99 baby!!!!! C'mon! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2009, 5:17 pm

I'm a packaged media nut for some of the same reasons as George says above, and luckily I already have the Tron score on CD in, ahem, "various" editions. ;)

I'd love a Black Hole OST...closest we have gotten so far is the Overture that was included on the Anchor Bay DVD. I'm guessing, following their recent releases for Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Journey Of Natty Gann, that Intrada will come to the rescue with a remastered album.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 14th, 2009, 4:40 pm

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=22919

Article about revelations on the sequel at D23.

Photos of concept art throughout, too.

Just wish Disney would get off the sequel-itis kick in all its divisions...

They have too many talented people there to get stuck in that rut!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 14th, 2009, 11:26 pm

This movie sounds better and better every time I hear about it. Ouch for the december release date, though. This could totally hold its own during the summer, but it seems disney doesn't quite have that much faith in it.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 14th, 2009, 11:59 pm

How is a December release date not having faith in it? Movies often do well at that time of year.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2009, 6:53 am

Yeah, I'm with Eddie...let's ask them to wait until summer 2011 and compete with their own just-announce Pirates 4...

Actually, I think it's excellent that Tron Legacy is Disney's big ticket for Christmas 2010.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 15th, 2009, 7:37 am

I thought Rapunzel was Disney's big ticket for Christmas 2010. Or are they planning on releasing that earlier in the month?

All I can say is boy, 2010 is going to be a busy year for Disney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 15th, 2009, 10:06 am

What I was saying was that they could probably have it ready for summer 2010, but they obviously don't think it could compete against other summer blockbuster fare or else they'd be doing that. Oh well.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 15th, 2009, 2:16 pm

In Summer 2010, Disney already has Toy Story 3, Prince of Persia, and The Sorcerer's Apprentice. The competition is putting out Iron Man 2, Shrek Forever After, The Twilight Saga: Eclipse, The Last Airbender, and The Expendables. Seems reasonable to me for them to release Tron in December.

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Tron 2 viral campaign (Pictures and videos)

Post by Dan » February 25th, 2010, 1:32 am

Heads up, the Viral Campaign is back on the move and they're moving really fast.

Yesterday, the mailing list sent out advance notices of the Flynn Lives organization recruiting operatives for their cause. Operatives were called for at the following locations:

Atlanta, Austin, Boston, Chicago, Denver, Las Vegas, London, twice in Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Nashville, twice in New York, Orlando, Paris, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Portland, Raleigh, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Sydney, Toronto, and Washington DC

All positions have been filled as everything happened in short amount of time. Information for the operatives is done here:

http://www.flynnlives.com/zerohour.htm

But wait, there's more.

Tomorrow at 4pm EST, tickets will be going on sale for a special event in five cities called The Pit Cell. A selected IMAX theater in New York, Los Angeles, London, Toronto, and Sydney will have this limited event to members of the Flynn Lives organization. Could this be a showing of the original Tron on IMAX? Perhaps a sneak peek at Tron Legacy?

http://www.pitcell.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » February 25th, 2010, 4:59 pm

This Viral Campaign is really awesome. If it wasn't for this forum I would not have known about it. Really cool, can't wait to see what they do next. :D
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Re: Tron 2 viral campaign (Pictures and videos)

Post by Dan » March 1st, 2010, 11:36 am

The result of the five city IMAX showcase was the first look at the full trailer for Tron Legacy. The feedback has been nothing short of overwhelming excitement. It is believed that the rest of us will get a chance to see the trailer this weekend when it plays before Alice in Wonderland.