The lost serials thread...

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 12th, 2005, 8:40 pm

Disturbing.... :? :shock:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Batman: 1943 Serial Collection coming in October...

Post by GeorgeC » August 8th, 2005, 9:26 pm

According to today's My Two Cents from TheDigitalBits.com, Sony is releasing the original Batman serial (1943) on DVD on October 18th...

This marks the first release of this original motion picture version of Batman which was one of the earlier superhero productions in Hollywood history. The Adventures of Captain Marvel hit first in 1940, barely a year after the Big Red Cheese's debut in Whiz Comics # 2 (1939). Superman made his theatrical debut in the first of 17 animated shorts produced by Fleischer and later Famous Studios in 1941.

Batman was the first DC Comics character to get live-action treatment. Some years later (1946?), a follow-up to the original Batman serial was produced. This serial, usually referred to as Batman and Robin, is already available on DVD. (Super-cheap at Wal-Mart, too, where it retails for UNDER $15!)

The 1943 Batman serial is somewhat infamous for its stereotypical portrayal of Japanese but remember the context of the time in which the film was produced -- the United States WAS at war with Japan! It'll be interesting to see IF Sony lets the DVD be released in the United States with no cuts. They'll definitely hear howls from people IF the serial is edited...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 8th, 2005, 9:48 pm

I have this serial on tape. It's LOTS of cheesy fun. It was the subject of my first "serial party" with my buddies, years ago--- the start of a fine tradition.

I wouldn't think they could edit it at all, since they'd pretty much have to delete the villain altogether!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 9th, 2005, 4:03 am

Yeah, I have this on tape too, but I'd think about getting this on disc.

That cover looks AWESOME.

Hilariously wooden acting, but very much of the time. Great stuff.

Really looking forward to the Superman serials on disc though (I know George, I know)...

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » August 11th, 2005, 12:16 am

Holy deceptive covers, Batman!

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Hear me now and believe me later, the actors in the film look NOTHING like that cover! :lol:

P.S. -- Somebody at CartoonBrew.com -- NOT the "Persian" guy we all "love," but the one who's likeable! -- said the original Superman serial IS a lock for DVD next year.

GeorgeC

Minor note on Batman: TAS Volume 4

Post by GeorgeC » August 25th, 2005, 12:41 am

Actually, if you count "World's Finest" aka "The Batman/Superman Movie" then the episode tally for The New Batman Adventures aka Batman: Gotham Knights is really 27. That brings the total Batman episode count to 112 when you figure in the earlier Batman: TAS series (85 episodes).

The Batman: Animated book written by Paul Dini included "World's Finest" as part of the newer production Batman episodes.

I guess WB isn't remastering/redoing World's Finest (a 3-part story) for the Volume 4 set? Sure, it's available on its own DVD so I guess WB is just being cheap here.

P.S. -- The LAST Batman/Superman team-up of the late 1990s was "The Demon Reborn" which like "Knight Time"(?) is counted as a Superman: TAS episode.

Also, if you have "The Batman/Superman Movie" DVD the "World's Finest" title DOES show up on the first part of this 3-parter. Why WB felt the 3-parter had to be retitled "The Batman/Superman Movie" is beyond me. I've always felt that's a far more awkward title than "World's Finest."

The real reason Superman: TAS never made it to the original planned 65-episode total was because of the split time spent on producing those 27 new Batman episodes. Superman: TAS ended at Episode 52, the second half of "Legacy," arguably one of the best episodes of either Batman or Superman produced.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » August 25th, 2005, 9:41 am

World's Finest will be properly placed on the Superman TAS Volume 2 set, as it was officially a Superman TAS story. Part 1 even gets an audio commentary there.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 25th, 2005, 11:32 am

SO COOL. I can't wait. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 17th, 2007, 8:12 pm

Too bad the original Batman serial is still in limbo due to political correctness.

We will probably see the original Superman serial released next year around the time of the new movie. There's already word that Superman: TAS Volume 3 gets released around the time of the new Superman movie.
I know, this thread is like two years old, I was just wondering:

Why is the original Batman serial considered "politically incorrect"? What would people find "offensive" about it exactly? Just curious.

And is the Kirk Alyn Supes on DVD now?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 18th, 2007, 7:45 am

ShyViolet wrote:Why is the original Batman serial considered "politically incorrect"? What would people find "offensive" about it exactly? Just curious.
Here's some elaboration on the controversy surrounding the 1943 Batman serial:
Wikipedia wrote:The film's plot dealt with Batman and Robin's struggle against Dr. Daka, a Japanese spy who invented a device that turns people into pseudo-zombies.

The film was made during World War II, and like numerous works of popular American fiction of the time, contains anti-Japanese slurs and comments (in one scene, Robin tells Daka, "You're as yellow as your skin!")...

The serial was released on home video in the late 1980s in a heavily edited format that removed the offensive racial content.
In October 2005, Sony finally released the unedited Batman - The Complete 1943 Movie Serial Collection, most likely to coincide with the DVD release of Batman Begins. IGN FilmForce has an interesting assessment of the title.
ShyViolet wrote:And is the Kirk Alyn Supes on DVD now?
Here ya' go: Superman - The 1948 & 1950 Theatrical Serials Collection. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 18th, 2007, 9:30 am

I found all these serials (both Batman and both Superman ones) to be great fun, if you can appreciatiate cheesiness. I find they're best watched with friends with a similar sense of humor. Honestly, the first Batman serial is hilarious if you're in the right mood. As far as its un-PC parts, one does have to remember the times in which it was made.

If you'd like to watch a *good* serial, however, try one of the Republic ones. :)

Many people cite the Captain Marvel one as the best; but, while it is pretty cool, the cliffhangers can be lame due to Marvel's invulnerability.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » February 18th, 2007, 10:41 am

There are more of these serials available than people realize, but the quality of many of the DVD releases is horrible because quite a few of these serials have fallen into public domain.

The best copies of the Flash Gordon serials are on the box set put out by Image years ago.

The SpySmasher serial (another Fawcett character like Captain Marvel) is also out on DVD but it's been put out by a smaller company. I know Bud Plant sells that DVD and a few other collected serials.

At least some of the Dick Tracy serials are also but they're pretty much all public domain. Many of these are put out by companies like Alpha Video which don't have great reputations for quality.

As far as I know, nobody's bothered to put out a DVD of the Captain America serial. That was probably one of the worst superhero-to-serial adaptations. At least the footage I've seen of it doesn't look that great...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 18th, 2007, 3:29 pm

I bought the Spy Smasher DVD, but unfortunately it's actually a DVD-R. I had trouble playing it on one of my players, but managed to do OK with the other player. It's a great serial, though; I had watched my previous VHS tapes a couple of times. The DVD-R does carry some modest bonus material, at least.

I have the Captain America serial on VHS. It used to be available on a 2-tape set rather cheaply. It is barely based on the comics; nothing but the name and a modified costume (no ear wings) is used. As a serial, it's just so-so, but worth looking at for extreme comic fans.

I just bought some of the VCI-released comic strip serials--- Mandrake, Jungle Jim, Terry and the Pirates, and both Secret Agent X-1 serials--- but haven't watched them yet. I previously enjoyed Buck Rogers, Dick Tracy, The Phantom, and Image's Flash Gordon releases.

Alpha's releases of TV episodes for Flash Gordon, Terry and the Pirates, and Dick Tracy actually aren't too bad, especially considering the prices.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 18th, 2007, 10:27 pm

Thanks for the info everyone! :D It's so weird since I guess I always consider the West Batman and Reeves Superman to be "really old" in my mind, but these are even OLDER!! :P

So interesting to see different versions of things....:wink:

At least some of the Dick Tracy serials are also but they're pretty much all public domain. Many of these are put out by companies like Alpha Video which don't have great reputations for quality.

As far as I know, nobody's bothered to put out a DVD of the Captain America serial. That was probably one of the worst superhero-to-serial adaptations. At least the footage I've seen of it doesn't look that great...
I actually watched a LONG time ago "Dick Tracy vs. Scarface" (not the Al Pacino one :P) but one of the old films from the 40s or 50s serial I think. It was OK I guess....I happened to see it on VHS; rented it during the height of that whole "Dick Tracy" craze when the Disney film came out....:

(Wasn't there a Flash Gordon show way back in the very early 90s?
What happened to that anyway?)

Plus I can't believe how racist those old Batman serials were! That episode with the Japanese villain sounds incredibly stupid and funny at the same time! :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » February 19th, 2007, 12:02 am

Well, those were racist times. You should see the Looney Tunes Censored 11! Hopefully we're a little more enlightened now, though political correctness can certainly sometimes go too far, too.

The Flash Gordon animated show of the 1990s has had a single DVD release, which includes the first few episodes. I have a review to post someday, but basically it's my least favorite version, though still more faithful than the 1950s live action Flash show.

The Dick Tracy film you mention may be one of the four B movies that came out in the 1940s. They followed the serials.

As far as "really old" Sup[erman stuff, consider that the Fleischer cartoons came out even before the serials! Not to mention the original comics, of course. :)