The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

Post by Dacey » August 2nd, 2009, 3:16 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on this one?

I just watched the trailer, and honestly don't know what I think about it.

I mean, I can see what they're going for...I think. It looks like they're trying to look like stop motion animation from many, many years ago (think BBC's "Wind in the Willows") rather than trying to look "new."

But, even when I see that, I also know that "Coraline" pushed the medium forward in virtually every aspect, so I could easily see this being seen as a step backwards by many people.

I just don't think that most audiences are going to see the appeal of this. Quite frankly, I'm not even sure if I do.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » August 3rd, 2009, 12:27 am

I was also a bit put off at first with the "classic" style of stop motion. It really wasn't what I was expecting. But after a few minutes, I stopped looking at it as another Dahl adaptation, and started looking at it instead as a Wes Anderson feature.

It looks like it's been done completely in his style, but I'm okay with that.

American_dog_2008

Post by American_dog_2008 » August 3rd, 2009, 6:39 am

I can't wait!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » August 3rd, 2009, 7:10 am

I'm really looking forward to this one. Like you said, the style is more reminiscent with Wind of the Willows, rather than, say, Wallace & Gromit, but I'm okay with that.

I have yet to be disappointed by Wes Anderson and this looks like another winning entry from him.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 3rd, 2009, 11:14 am

Y'know what? Whenever that image they released pops up on my screen, all I keep seing is the lead character from...<I>Roadside Romeo</I>! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by The Zany Bishojo Evalana » August 21st, 2009, 11:21 pm

I have to admit, I'm interested in seeing this, even though I'm pretty sure I never read the source book (I read a lot of Dahl as a kid, but not everything). What I'm saying is I have no idea how close or not it is (or seems to be), but regardless, it looks like it's worth checking out.
[url=http://rabbithutchiscalling.blogspot.com][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg78/evalana/sig_feet.png[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 9th, 2009, 1:10 pm

The new poster is nice, but seriously...... You'd think that as a classic children's author, Dahl would be well-known to the point where they could simply put his name on the poster as opposed to saying "From the same person who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate factory".

I guess not. :P

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 10th, 2009, 12:00 pm

The least they could do is mention his name on there.

I think that the marketing for this movie has been terrible so far overall, and that it will be a theatrical bomb.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Whippet Angel wrote:The new poster is nice, but seriously...... You'd think that as a classic children's author, Dahl would be well-known to the point where they could simply put his name on the poster as opposed to saying "From the same person who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate factory".
They're hoping to get people who think Tim Burton wrote it. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 10th, 2009, 6:07 pm

Oh, you mean the guy who directed Coraline and Nightmare Before Christmas? He's awesome!

Did you hear?? He has a new movie out called 9!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 10th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Cool, hope it's as good as that "Corpse Bride" movie he directed! :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » September 11th, 2009, 12:24 am

Nah, he didn't direct that one, that was actually Walt Disney.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 10th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Has anyone seen the new trailer? It's basically just clips from the film played alongside quotes from critics talking about how amazing the movie is. It's kinda odd.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ribbedebie » October 11th, 2009, 4:30 am

.....furries....

xD Kidding, I like how this movie looks so far

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 11th, 2009, 8:50 am

ribbedebie...since you didn't seem to care much about our rules specifying signature links, they have been removed. Add them back and, in this instance, you will be booted from the boards without further warning. Thanks.