Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 22nd, 2010, 9:23 am

Haha...Citizen Kane, The Godfather, Gone With The Wind and Meet The Spartans - one of these movies is doing their own thing. One of these movies just isn't the same. ;)

Seriously...Avatar in your top ten? Mmmm, maybe the other nine are all the movies it ripped off? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by LotsoA113 » March 22nd, 2010, 8:19 pm

Ben wrote:Seriously...Avatar in your top ten? Mmmm, maybe the other nine are all the movies it ripped off? ;)
LOL!!

My top 10 Films:

10.Avatar
9.Delgo
8.Ferngully
7.Pochahontas
6.Happy Feet
5.Gone With The Wind
4.Star Wars
3.The Godfather
2.Vengeance of the Cat People (1953)
1.Toy Story
I love all things cinema, from silent movies to world cinema to animated cinema to big blockbusters to documentaries and everything in between!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 22nd, 2010, 10:07 pm

If that's an attempt at satire, "Curse of the Cat People (1944)" IS on my Top 10 list.
And I ain't joking. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 23rd, 2010, 11:29 am

Ahhh...Simone...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Aaron_03 » May 2nd, 2010, 6:41 pm

People are kidding themselves if you don't think Avatar is a great movie.
I didn't even watch it in theaters and I still got a kick out of it. I watched it on blu-ray and it was a kick-ass experience.

Funny how someone has Avatar and Pocahontas in their top 10 films of all time when they both kind of have the same story.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_vul ... 00x486.jpg

I actually thought the same thing, before I saw this, while I was watching the movie.

Ben, you mentioned that you loved Titanic... Is it in your top 10 movies of all time? I'm just curious because I'm a huge fan as well. I'm still don't understand why you dislike Avatar?

Anyway I got some news on Avatar and Titanic.

Avatar is said to be re-releasing this fall.

Due to the fact that IMAX can only hold movies with a maximum of 170 minutes, they are only adding 10 minutes to the movie. Those 10 minutes are said to be, Jake enduring a Na'vi trial and Tsu'tey getting drunk.

However when this extended version of Avatar comes out on 3D for DVD & Blu-ray there will be 30 to 40 minutes of extra footage from the original.

The point is Avatar could be at the top of the box office until the Spring of 2012. Rumor has it, Avatar (extended version) could stay in theaters from this fall to the Spring of 2012.

What's so great about the spring of 2012? It the 100 year anniversary of the sinking of Titanic. Jame Cameron's other top movie, Titanic is hitting theater's in 2012. It will be in IMAX on 3D. I'm not sure about this idea, but it's interesting. Titanic is not really a 3D based movie like Avatar is. I wonder if this attract people like it did in 1997.

The top two box office movies will just add to their already significant lead. I wonder which movie will end at the top?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by JasonST » May 4th, 2010, 1:24 am

I cant imagine how awesome this movie was, specially in 3D. Do you guys think the sequel will be better than the first movie?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » May 4th, 2010, 6:24 am

I dunno, it all depends on if they decide to use the plot from Pocahontas II for Avatar II

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 4th, 2010, 12:03 pm

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Whippet Angel » May 5th, 2010, 1:29 am

Wasn't there a sequel to Ferngully? Perhaps they could use that one.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 7th, 2010, 11:00 am

Aaron_03 wrote:People are kidding themselves if you don't think Avatar is a great movie.
I'm really not laughing. Trust me, I just looked.

Aaron_03 wrote:Ben, you mentioned that you loved Titanic... Is it in your top 10 movies of all time? I'm just curious because I'm a huge fan as well. I'm still don't understand why you dislike Avatar?
Basically, because it's unoriginal crap. I don't really have a Top 10, but Titanic might be in the bottoms of a list like that on certain days. I love Back To The Future too, but it doesn't mean I liked Beowulf. Or Munich even though I love Indiana Jones.

Aaron_03 wrote:Anyway I got some news on Avatar and Titanic. Avatar is said to be re-releasing this fall.
Um...that's been known for quite a while now. Almost since shortly after the movie made a gazillion dollars. As is the news on the extended sequences, and even more scenes for the next disc release (hence the bare bones edition now). Same with the news on Titanic, which we actually discussed here some time back. That will then come to Blu-ray, with a 3D Avatar rumored, at the end of 2011.

Aaron_03 wrote:The top two box office movies will just add to their already significant lead. I wonder which movie will end at the top?
Please Turn Out The Lights IX. Obviously, they haven't even announced the first film in this series yet, so we have some years still to go before this claims the title of biggest grossing movie of all time ($2.3tr gross).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Can anyone compare James Cameron's Avatar to Ghibli films?

Post by Severen » March 3rd, 2011, 1:24 am

While others have compared Cameron's epic Sci-fi fantasy CGI/live-action adventure to Dances with Wolves, Last of the Mohicans, New World/Pocahontas, Ferngully, Lawrence of Arabia and Dune to even the Star Wars Trilogy, does anyone see any Ghibli influences as well in Avatar?

Cameron is a huge fan of anime and Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki as i believe Cameron also used references to Ghibli's films such as Pom Poko, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (a.k.a. Warriors of the Wind) and Castle in The Sky.

If you watch the movie and these ones you'll see how much Cameron did some owing to Miyazaki in Avatar especially with Mononoke having a same storyline like Avatar.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 3rd, 2011, 5:32 am

Didn't we have an Avatar thread? Dan? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » March 3rd, 2011, 1:30 pm

"Can"? No. We can't compare Ghibli to that mess, sorry. Thanks for asking. :P
Last edited by EricJ on March 3rd, 2011, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » March 3rd, 2011, 4:10 pm

At least "Avatar" made sense, however you may feel about it. Just exactly what was going on in "Ponyo" half the time anyway?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » March 3rd, 2011, 4:27 pm

Ponyo was a Japanese retelling of The Little Mermaid.

No mystery there to me...

I had no trouble following it.

Princess Mononoke, on the other hand...
... that one was pooh.

I liked Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, My Neighor Totoro, and Castle in the Sky better, though. Still haven't gotten around to seeing Nausicaa yet....

Could really care less about comparisons between Avatar and anime or Cameron's obsessions since I haven't bothered to seek Avatar out for rental..

Ben -- is it just me, or are the dustbunnies multiplying? I see at least 3 new dusties in the threads?