Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » May 16th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Someone hasn't been paying attention to the "Treasures" thread. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » May 16th, 2007, 11:34 pm

I got it now....I read through his post way too quickly. :?

Sorry, George! :wink: :oops:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 8th, 2007, 1:21 am

Hey, did you know Song of the South came out in US theaters in 1986? :P :wink:

BUT from what I understand from this trailer.....this is NOT the actual movie, but only the animated sections. Talk about a cheat! :roll: Still, this trailer's kinda cool just for its novelty value.

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2007, 3:24 pm

"Hey, did you know Song of the South came out in US theaters in 1986?"

Yes. yes, we did. 1986 was its last theatrical reissue. Rest assured the entire film did come out, though the marketing was heavily revolved around the animated sections.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 8th, 2007, 3:25 pm

"Hey, did you know Song of the South came out in US theaters in 1986?"

Yes. Yes, we did. 1986 was its last theatrical reissue. Rest assured the entire film did come out, though the marketing was heavily revolved around the animated sections.

Keep up! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 8th, 2007, 8:42 pm

Sorry....I'll think I'll just avoid this thread for a while. :P :wink: :) J/K

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Megagents » December 12th, 2007, 9:05 am

Ben wrote:"Hey, did you know Song of the South came out in US theaters in 1986?"
It did?! :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2007, 2:50 pm

Yep, used to get reissued all the time before then. Since after the first 1846 release, the advertising always concentrated on the animated segments more and more.

It was actually due to get put out on home video in the US but the 1986 reissue was the spark for the lobbying to stop it coming out on VHS and LD.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 12th, 2007, 3:07 pm

Ben wrote:Yep, used to get reissued all the time before then. Since after the first 1846 release, the advertising always concentrated on the animated segments more and more.

It was actually due to get put out on home video in the US but the 1986 reissue was the spark for the lobbying to stop it coming out on VHS and LD.
I remember seeing it in '86, although I'd already seen it before:

You're probably thinking of the aborted '96 ("50th Anniversary") theatrical reissue--back when Disney thought they had to theatrically re-release titles, thanks to a profit loophole on their VHS sales--where they first came up with the "Black history" apology-intro.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 12th, 2007, 3:40 pm

Nope, I'm thinking of the 86 issue.

In 96, the title was ready to come out on home video, but the heat from the 86 theatrical issue was what started the lobbying against it.

I'm lucky enough to have had SOTS on official VHS since the early 1980s on a "white label" Disney Home Video release, then again from TV airings until I was finally working on something that allowed me to request a clone of the UK broadcast master (from the very nice 1996 video restoration). I can zip-a-dee-doo-dah anytime I like.

And I do! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 1st, 2008, 6:31 pm

I'm a bit confused by this thread.
So is it still true that they don't have any plans to release the film any time in the near future?
Was there ever a VHS release in the 80s?
(I was just talking about old Disney films with my parents and they want to see it again.)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 1st, 2008, 7:46 pm

There's an article a page back that gives some insight of when it might be released, although its nothing definite.

Like has been speculated, Song of the South will probably end up on a future "Walt Disney Treasure" wave, or something collector based. '08 may very well be its year! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » January 7th, 2008, 1:05 pm

I certainly hope so. Ever since I first saw it, I've felt that it's one of the strongest films the studio ever did and it's a shame that it hasn't been available for people to judge for themselves. James Baskett didn't win an Oscar for nothing, you know.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » January 7th, 2008, 8:56 pm

*reads the stuff a page back* Okie.
eddievalient wrote: it's a shame that it hasn't been available for people to judge for themselves. James Baskett didn't win an Oscar for nothing, you know.
I think there is enough people out there that would buy it that it would be worthwhile. I wish they did release it, if people think it is offensive then don't get it.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 8th, 2008, 10:03 am

What's so racist about this film? is it becouse the fox wants to eat the black rabbit? i don't understand why.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]