Mind you...

I'd like to try some "sexual innundo".

Is that one of those bizarre Italian movies? :wink:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 9th, 2005, 2:34 pm

SONG OF THE SOUTH PARK

Yeah, imagine what they could do to "Zippety Doo Da" :twisted:

BTW just in case you're interested, South Park is popular in Israel. They call it: "Park Droam". (Droam means south in Hebrew). Park means park, Israel is very Americanized and they use some English words, like "Hi" and such.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

ebay: Walt's Song of the South notes/original script

Post by ShyViolet » April 15th, 2005, 4:39 pm

There was a thread on Animation Nation about this.

It's no doubt legit, but they think it might have been *stolen* from the Archives. Its opening bid is $25,000

Who would do such a thing?? :roll: :P
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 16th, 2005, 2:23 am

You know Violet,

Statistically, over 25% of theft at ANY company is committed by employees.

There's no doubt THIS WAS AN INSIDE JOB IF AND ONLY IF THESE NOTES ARE LEGITIMATE.

With all the stuff that's in storage at the Disney Archives, they probably got careless and didn't have everything catalogued. It could have a college intern or a disgruntled employee who stole those notes (IF they're the real thing) for all we know. Very often, companies and museums rely on volunteers to catalog and record their artifacts. Somehow, I can't see how a multi-billion dollar company like Disney COULDN'T afford to hire people full-time to catalog their inventory of film memorabilia, but even people with college degrees and a bunch of letters after their names can be dishonest.

Why does everybody have to assume that the fellow who LOOKS and SMELLS like a scum IS a thieving scum as opposed to the fellow who BATHES and DRESSES like a businessman or fellow going to church? There's plenty of crime committed in the country by guys who went to Harvard or Yale just as there is by fellows who couldn't finish grade school.

Frankly, I don't think those notes are worth $25,000 and this is an example of how shameless some people are on e-Bay.

I doubt there's very much the Disney Company can do about this unless these were catalogued already and reported stolen by the company.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2005, 11:10 am

Or else they buy them back? Maybe the transcript could make a good "Walt's Notes" feature for the DVD? ;)

Seriously, do you think people would actually sell something totally illegal like that (if it is) on something with that much visibility? I mean, that's some pretty hot water to be dealing with if they have been taken without permission.

On the other hand, I believe them to be real. It's pretty obscure item to have been faked up, and the front sticker and notes do look authentic and written in Walt's original style of handwriting.

Their best bet would have been to auction them off the usual way, at Sotherby's or somesuch.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » April 16th, 2005, 12:03 pm

I'm guessing that this "thief," and let's call him that, is either not too bright or connected well enough to go to an auction house and sell it there.

It's probably cheaper to go the e-Bay route. E-Bay is also notorious for letting bootleggers and crooks get away with selling all kinds of goods on the website without checking. They use their disclaimer policy to swear off on illegal acts and copyright infringement. E-Bay can be a regular black markeet.

I would imagine that Sotheby's or another regular auction house route is going to demand credentials and some kind of authentication/papers before they let people sell things. Auction houses probably also get a percentage of the final sales from the items sold. I would imagine e-Bay's probably popular because they DON'T charge as much as Sotheby's or other long-running auction houses.

The guy selling these notes might be some regular Joe Shmoe who doesn't have a reputation or the profile to get away with a Sotheby's auction.

I know from looking at the Animation Nation thread (I'm not a member not do I intend to become one) that one of the guys mentioned that Disney's security in its warehouses and Archives used to be lousy and that animators and celebrities would come and walk out with things all the time before the mid-1980s. A poster was saying that one well-known voice actor actually "borrowed" things from the Archive and ended up selling these things at auction houses for a heft price. This poster also went on to say that this person is STILL selling off things that he took to this day.

Nobody is going to say who this person is that took the Archive materials, but what he did is not unusual. I've read a few stories of people walking off with props and costumes from movies and TV shows that they worked on without asking or having that option written into their contracts!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 16th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Yep, that's a common occurance, what with actresses keeping their costumes the highest on that list.

I don't know if this guy is a theif. The seller has a LOT of Disney memorablia on auction - could someone really have gotten away with lifting this amount of stuff?

Something certainly feels fishy, but stranger things have happend!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 16th, 2005, 3:47 pm

Jeffrey Katzenberg actually got in trouble for this WHEN HE WAS AT DISNEY. (according to DisneyWar) He took a whole bunch of animation cells out of the archives for his own personal "collection". It really ticked some people off, so he had to reimberse the company for it.

Wonder if he still has them?

GeorgeC

OFFICIAL Cancellation of Song of the South...

Post by GeorgeC » April 4th, 2006, 9:06 am

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/ ... 0406b.html

Yep, Disney management gave in to political correctness for the millionth time.

"Disney plans include a Dumbo: Big Top SE (1941) on June 13th, although there isn't much wrong with the existing DVD. On the other hand, the anticipated fall release of Song of the South has been cancelled by Disney's top management, although the decision may be revisited in the future."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2006, 1:21 pm

This has been floating around as a rumor for the past couple of weeks.

Shame, I was looking foward to having "Song Of The South: 60th Anniversary Special Edition" on a legal DVD.

A few years ago I was working on an archive type show and was able to request a few rare titles from Disney UK. I got all the early Richard Todd films and SOTS (never withdrawn here and even on TV every now and then) on Digital Betacam! Okay, so it's in PAL and the print has no kind of restoration other than a video filter pass, but its as pristine as they come - and "official" too!

Now this has been cancelled for good (meaning, BTW, that it WAS in production!), I may "back up" that tape to DVD... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » April 4th, 2006, 1:33 pm

I don't care if I never see this film. Other than the animated seqences (which look cute) the film seems pretty racist to me. Not OVERTLY racist but the whole thing with "good old Uncle Remus" strikes me as...tacky, to say the least. And it's irrelevent to say that the film is supposed to take place AFTER slavery...so what? The whole planatation/happy Black workers thing is straight out of Old South mythology. And BTW, post-Civil War America, Reconstruction, was a lousy time for Blacks. All right, it was set right after slavery....why no cameo by a Ku Klax Klan member?

The only thing I think might be O.K. is if the film is shown in museums or universities as a product of its time. But I don't agree it should be marketed and sold like it's Snow White or something. That's just my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with collecters owning it if it's already been made available, but I don't approve of a re-release. The only value this film really has is in its animation, so maybe the animated sequences can edited onto a DVD w/out the live action.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 4th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Censorship. Such a woeful thing.

And, that's the point Vi, SOTS has NEVER been made available to collectors.

To me, the blacks come out of this waaaaay better than they do in Gone With The Wind, a film that gets kudos and praise each and every year.

You should try and see this - the film is deeper than anyone who THINKS they have seen it will have you believe and I don't mind saying that I weep at the end of it everytime.

SOTS is a great, landmark picture. I'm glad I have a copy, even if those who are more ignorant can't be bothered to check something out before they present their viewpoint on it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » April 4th, 2006, 5:25 pm

It annoys me when people pass judgement on a movie they haven't seen.

I saw Song of the South on a Japanese laserdisc about 10 years ago. It's a really good movie, and I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Racism is not the central focus of the film. It's not a prominent theme. It's merely part of the setting.

The movie by no means demeans black people. The white folk are selfish and involved in their own problems. The only person who shows concern for Johnny, or who has time for him, is Uncle Remus. He's the hero of the story. Not because he's black, but because he cares.

As for the "idyllic" portrayal of Reconstruction South, I don't know what to say. Johnny's grandmother treats her servants well; a lot of plantation owners did. Many southern blacks were mistreated and oppressed, but not all of them. (I don't want to get into an argument on the history of racism here, so let's move on.)

To suggest that Walt Disney should have brought the Ku Klux Klan into the movie... What would be the point of that? There's a reason Disney movies have the reputation they have. Next we'll get complaints from PETA that Dumbo doesn't present an accurate picture of the life of a circus elephant. They should have included scenes of Mrs. Jumbo being beaten and whipped and starved...

Anyway, I don't want to encourage illegal activity, but somehow get a copy of Song of the South and watch it before you make up your mind about it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » April 4th, 2006, 5:25 pm

ShyViolet, you have completely the wrong view on SOTS. This is one instance where I feel safe saying that somebody else's opinion is dead wrong.

Maybe Walt didn't work the Klan into the movie because he didn't like people who didn't like blacks and because the Klan had nothing to do with the original Uncle Remus stories. I'm reading a huge book of Uncle Remus stories right now and it is clear that the movie stayed very true to the spirit of the book.

An April Fools joke I suggested for use last year but was ixnayed by the rest of the staff emphasized the same point Ben hinted at: that the blacks come out better than the whites in the movie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 4th, 2006, 7:07 pm

ShyViolet, you have completely the wrong view on SOTS. This is one instance where I feel safe saying that somebody else's opinion is dead wrong.

I don't know. If someone is uncomfortable about watching it, I say that they don't need to bother.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."