Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Re: Song of the South

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2020, 6:53 am

Yes, Eric. The attraction based off of Disney’s most popular movie ever only happened because of...whatever it is you just said. :roll: :? (Also, Disney is hardly alone with “updating” stuff in this regard, and Tiki Room at least appeared to be a big crowdpleaser when I went, which is why I’m baffled Country Bears hasn’t been modernized at least a little in all this time).
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » June 11th, 2020, 9:58 am

The Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse is now the Tarzan Treehouse .. the Submarines are now Finding Nemo-themed ..
Not at disney world. It''s still based on robinson. It never changed to tarzan.

They still have tom sawyer island also.

Also those people complaining does know uncle remus is the main hero of the movie right? He teaches the three kids what they need to know helping them get better then at the end only he can save the kids live when no one else can! Have they even seen the movie they are attacking?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 11th, 2020, 10:08 am

Now Paw Patrol is inappropriate!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/arts ... -cops.html
The New York Times: The Protests Come for ‘Paw Patrol’
A backlash is mounting against depictions of “good cops,” on television and in the street.

It was only a matter of time before the protests came for “Paw Patrol.”

“Paw Patrol” is a children’s cartoon about a squad of canine helpers. It is basically a pretense for placing household pets in a variety of cool trucks. The team includes Marshall, a firefighting Dalmatian; Rubble, a bulldog construction worker; and Chase, a German shepherd who is also a cop. In the world of “Paw Patrol,” Chase is drawn to be a very good boy who barks stuff like “Chase is on the case!” and “All in a police pup’s day!” as he rescues kittens in his tricked-out S.U.V.

But last week, when the show’s official Twitter account put out a bland call for “Black voices to be heard,” commenters came after Chase. “Euthanize the police dog,” they said. “Defund the paw patrol.” “All dogs go to heaven, except the class traitors in the Paw Patrol.”

It’s a joke, but it’s also not. As the protests against racist police violence enter their third week, the charges are mounting against fictional cops, too. Even big-hearted cartoon police dogs — or maybe especially big-hearted cartoon police dogs — are on notice. The effort to publicize police brutality also means banishing the good-cop archetype, which reigns on both television and in viral videos of the protests themselves. “Paw Patrol” seems harmless enough, and that’s the point: The movement rests on understanding that cops do plenty of harm...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 11th, 2020, 11:32 am

I’ve never seen that, but from what I read of the article, it just seems like a harmless kid’s show. Maybe it does put the (dog) police in this cartoon world in a positive light, but there’s absolutely no evidence that this premise stems from advocating racism/oppression. That’s one thing that always annoys me when generalized pronouncements like this are made: like with SOTS, there are almost never any SPECIFIC EXAMPLES highlighted, but just theoretical statements that the particular media is inappropriate and offensive.

Also the police shows that have been brought up with the racist issue in mind are largely VERY OLD ONES, like Matlock and Perry Mason. (Early 60s-80s.) I’m sure those shows presented a more stereotypical view of fighting crime, but they’re from about FORTY YEARS AGO. Law and Order has also been cited, but from what I’ve seen/read about that show, it presents a much more nuanced look at the INDIVIDUALS on both sides of the law. From what I understand that’s been the overall perspective of most crime shows from the last 20, even 30 years.

I totally understand about people being concerned about insulting stereotypes (movies and TV have basically been stuffed with them since forever), and critics certainly have every right to express their opinion, but I’d also like to know how a cute cartoon about police dogs suddenly qualifies as a paean for racism. Like I said, I definitely do understand people’s concern...but maybe if they pointed to a specific character/episode that troubled them, that might pave the way for more understanding.

Also not trying to sound flippant or insulting, but technically Chip and Dale’s Rescue Rangers advocates fighting crime on the side of police officers, although they were usually the “bumbling” characters who got the case all wrong. But I mean if you favor canceling this harmless dog cartoon show, what’s next??
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 12th, 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 11th, 2020, 1:16 pm

*Disney+ reads Vi's post and removes Chip & Dale from streaming immediately until a "proper disclaimer" can be added*

;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 11th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Dacey wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:53 am
And Tiki Room at least appeared to be a big crowdpleaser when I went
(Before 2011? Everything's been back to normal at WDW since then, and "the goddess Uh-Oa" has now been relocated to a hotel bar in Disneyland.
We no longer had to go all the way out to Anaheim to see the original Tikis.)
Dacey wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 6:53 am
Yes, Eric. The attraction based off of Disney’s most popular movie ever only happened because of...whatever it is you just said. :roll: :?
Well, what I just said was "Annoying Internet-fanboy campaigns", and yes, it WAS because of that. Take a dive in the WDWNT.com park-fan Internet underbelly sometime.
(My psychic powers predict that most of the rumors you find will involve "New attraction for movie that just opened", which will usually be either "Story-based dark ride" or "New E-ticket coaster", and 9 times out of ten will involve tearing down or rehabbing some old existing attraction "Nobody likes anymore"...The other will usually involve "Building entire new land area" for it.)

Although Norway pulling their international Epcot-pavilion sponsorship and leaving Disney to come up with their own ideas might've also contributed somewhat.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 11th, 2020, 7:03 pm

You realise that we won’t be able to watch westerns any more, right? All those white hat heroes up against the black hat villains...? And no more Star Wars — the big bad is literally a big black guy. Or, rather, a white guy in blackface, which is even worse!

This is getting beyond ridiculous. History should not be eradicated. It should be explored and explained.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 11th, 2020, 9:36 pm

Yeah...the thing to remember is that we are ALL HUMAN BEINGS. And INDIVIDUALS.

When we learn about history and all of its messy chapters, we not only learn more about human consciousness as a whole, but in a way, ourselves.

If we seal off ALL upsetting/controversial parts of our respective histories/cultures, then how the heck can we EVER form a better understanding of each other, so that the terrible mistakes of the past are NOT repeated???

We need mutual understand during these rocky times more than ever. Censoring every possible bit of media that MIGHT upset someone out there, rather than opening it up to fruitful discussion, will only make things worse.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2020, 4:24 am

YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!

(Sorry...had to do it) ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 12th, 2020, 11:08 am

:) :wink:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 12th, 2020, 2:29 pm

EricJ wrote:
June 11th, 2020, 2:52 pm
(Before 2011? Everything's been back to normal at WDW since then, and "the goddess Uh-Oa" has now been relocated to a hotel bar in Disneyland.
We no longer had to go all the way out to Anaheim to see the original Tikis....

...Although Norway pulling their international Epcot-pavilion sponsorship and leaving Disney to come up with their own ideas might've also contributed somewhat.
Weird! I just listened to two podcasts this past week: one about the enchanted tiki room makeover and another about Norway pulling their sponsorship of the Epcot pavilion and Disney getting back control of it!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » June 12th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Ben wrote:
June 12th, 2020, 4:24 am
YES! WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!
...I'm not! :(

(I frequently kid the Monty Python Twitter account about why the British Python-quoters are so monomaniacally obsessed with "Life of Brian" references, even to the exclusion of Holy Grail or the TV series, than the US fans are.
So you had Brexit and the soccer Cup, quote something freakin' ELSE!! :lol: )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 12th, 2020, 9:02 pm

But it wouldn’t have made sense in this instance.

Now stop this. It's silly.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 25th, 2020, 12:43 pm

Well, that's that...

https://people.com/travel/disneys-splas ... -thrilled/

Can't wait for someone at Disney to start worrying about The Shadow Man (who has teeth missing!) being a negative stereotype, and for Sony to give the James Bond movie Live & Let Die a new opening because they dared to have a white guy do the theme song for it. :roll:

Anyway, this will solve racism, I guess....

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » June 25th, 2020, 1:40 pm

Yeah.... I think it's a shame. If Disney would let people actually watch SOTS, folks might find it's really not so objectionable. But then, I'm a white dude from outside the USA, so I'm not the best judge, maybe.

Still, I have no issue with having a Princess and the Frog ride. And it's not the first time that an attraction has been updated to reflect a more modern film.