Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 8th, 2008, 8:51 pm

Once Upon A Dream wrote:What's so racist about this film? is it becouse the fox wants to eat the black rabbit? i don't understand why.
A lot of people who don't know better THINK the story is set during Civil War slavery (it isn't)--Which makes the fact that James Baskett chuckles a little too darn much in the story a bit unsettling...

And then, if you want to get into more Jim Hill historical territory, there is always rumored suspicions that much of the rabble-rousing can be traced back to disgruntled black ex-Disney animator Clarence Muse, who had been leading most of the "Walt is racist!" finger-pointing, even though NAACP screeners hadn't found much objectionable in SotS's script.
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/wade_samp ... /1289.aspx
(They did object to the sharecroppers singing faux-spiritual musical numbers, but didn't feel that alone worth a ban.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 10th, 2008, 6:40 pm

What is this?

I hate to bump but I wanted to make sure I was posting this in an exisiting similar topic.

I came across this today:

[Link removed]

That must be bootleg or illegal, am I right?
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » October 10th, 2008, 7:04 pm

(from the website)

PLEASE NOTE: This dvd originates from a LaserDisc Transfer to dvd. The dvd is Region Free and will play on any dvd player, worldwide, guaranteed!
Yes, it's a bootleg .. not a legitimate commercial release .. etc.

--------

Song of the South was legitimately released on NTSC Laserdisc only in Japan and Hong Kong, during the 1990's. Both LD's contain the complete uncut feature with an english-language audio track. The japanese LD has 'burned-in' japanese subtitled lyrics which appear during the song sequences. The cantonese (Hong Kong) LD has no subtitles, and so is considered more 'desirable' by collectors.

--------

There has not yet been a legitimate commercial Disney release of SotS on DVD anywhere in the world, yet, to my knowledge.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 10th, 2008, 7:15 pm

That's what I thought.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 10th, 2008, 7:38 pm

Link removed for reasons Droo already mentioned and because we can't endorse the inclusion here.

Also, I moved and renamed the thread, let's keep all SotS DVD speculation in here.

BTW Neal, totally cool about bumping. We incourage it here, unlike a few other boards. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 5:17 pm

Song Of The South <I>has</I> been released legitimately on VHS in some markets...most notable the UK, though it's been OOP here for a while too. I am <I>sure</I> I saw it on DVD here in a legitimate store but must have been mistaken, unless it was out for like a week or something.

Luckily, I was doing some Disney documentary work a while back and managed to get me a DigiBeta master of the film direct from the UK branch, from the 1990s remastered print...gorgeous. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: ...I just meant....

Post by MrsTashlin » October 12th, 2008, 5:53 pm

Ben wrote:
JustinWilliams wrote:
I just assumed he was gay...but really Tarzan? Isn't there any other Disney hero more handsome than that? Ladies???
I'm assuming that Justin is a boy's name here. And that makes your comment very disturbing!
Ben, what's disturbing to you about gay people?

Careful! That first quote wasn't from me. I never said anything about being gay (not that there's anything wrong with that). I was just commenting that anyone who wanted to see Tarzan full frontal seemed a little strange... No homosexual innuendo implied! Nevertheless, I must say that he did strike me as being a particularly handsome Disney leading man. :)

I would love to see some tarzan FFN ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 8:17 pm

Let's be <I>very</I> careful where we go with this, people! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by MrsTashlin » October 17th, 2008, 11:07 pm

my bad....was just trying to make a funny.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 19th, 2008, 11:24 am

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 18th, 2008, 11:35 pm

Is this a legit release or not?

[LINK REMOVED FOR COPYRIGHT VIOLATION]

It says it's the PAL but then it's region-free? That raises a red flag.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » December 19th, 2008, 12:23 am

You are seriously asking this question? You can't be that naive. After all this discussion, do you really think that there was an official release that somehow slipped past everyone else? Sorry, but... please.

No, it is certainly not legit. Even the site says it's a bootleg. Just read that page, and it makes the answer to your question pretty clear.

For the final (knock on wood) time, Song of the South has never been released on DVD.

Honestly, it just seems like you're baiting someone to shout at you. Please, for the love of all that is decent, quit putting up links to OBVIOUS bootlegs, and quit asking us over and over if you have found a legit release.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 19th, 2008, 1:30 am

? I guess I didn't specify that I meant the VHS. I never said DVD, sorry. It's on PAL VHS from what I can gather - I just wondered if the PAL VHS in the site I had linked to was the real one or not.

Guess not.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 19th, 2008, 4:11 pm

VHS tapes do not have "regions", so I removed the link because a DVD was implied. Use your own smarts before you keep posting bootleg links, or we will have to ban you from the forums. We enjoy healthy relationships with the studios and don't wish to be seen to promote black market sales. We look forward to covering Song Of The South - officially - if and when the Disney Company release the film in an authorized edition.

You have been warned.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 19th, 2008, 5:32 pm

Well, I guess you were joking here:
I am sure I saw it on DVD here in a legitimate store but must have been mistaken, unless it was out for like a week or something.
I don't want anything bootlegged or illegal. If I did or at least didn't care, I would have just bought one of the DVDs already and said eff Disney. I'm trying to get the only legal English language release there is - the UK VHS. The problem is that understandably, all pirated and fake copies look the same as the official release. I can't tell the difference - many of these bootlegs have tiny details (like that Disney sticker) that make it seem legit.

Perhaps, if you know where the real thing is sold online, you could PM me a link to it?