Song of the South

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 28th, 2005, 12:02 pm

What about Dave Chapelle and Wayne Brady?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 28th, 2005, 1:09 pm

Dave Chapelle? Well, he is talented... but very controversial when it comes to feedback from family groups.

However, I think Wayne Brady might make a good choice. But is he well-known enough, especially for such a large-scale project? Peronally, I wouldn't seeing more than one person hosting the Song of the South DVD, though. It would be nice to see Foxx, Brady, and several other actors giving their thoughts on the film.

Wasn't Morgan Freeman once approaced and became furious at the idea of the film being re-released? I know Dr. Maya Angelou became angry at the idea of it coming to DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2005, 1:38 pm

James Earl Jones was banded about as a name for this for years, and an intro for him apparently already filmed.

He did inserts for Fantasia/2000 and the American Legends DVD (where he set up John Henry) so it's not like he's not approachable.

After his Oscar though, Foxx would be a good choice.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 28th, 2005, 1:50 pm

I figured that Jones may be approached, but, to be honest, I was hoping that Disney wouldn't go for the obvious choice. By the way, what was with that talk of Bill Cosby hosting the DVD then? Was it just a rumor?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 28th, 2005, 2:02 pm

No. Cosby was in the frame. But as I understand it, he has had some "extra-marital" lady trouble recently? The story didn't really make it here, but I'm guessing this is to why he has beend dropped.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » February 28th, 2005, 2:15 pm

Ben wrote:But as I understand it, he has had some "extra-marital" lady trouble recently?
Something like that. However, I believe that those accusations against him have been proven false.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » February 28th, 2005, 2:46 pm

Quite often the mere accusation is enough to harm somebody.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CaptainJasHook » February 28th, 2005, 5:09 pm

How about James Earl Jones? Whoopi Goldberg? Denzel Washington?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 28th, 2005, 11:10 pm

James Earl Jones or Whoopie. At least they were both IN a Disney movie.
(Lion King)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CaptainJasHook » February 28th, 2005, 11:31 pm

Ahem, Denzel Washington! REMEMBER THE TITANS! HELLO! :P :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 1st, 2005, 12:54 pm

What about that guy who plays Urkel?

Banned
Banned

Post by Special_Ed » March 1st, 2005, 1:55 pm

Yes, the sexual allegations against Cosby were proven false so the woman is filing a civil suit instead. It's clear that she only did this because of Cosby's statements about the black community in the US. Now if he were white and said those hings he'd be deemed racist, since he's bllack they have to discredit him. Apparently it's worked if he was dropped from Song of the South.

I think this whole PC crap is total BS. Just put the film out thereabd leave it at that. There is not a racist thing about that film. The only reason the film has that rep is because of how Disney has treated it and people wanting to jump all over Disney for anything.

No one is forcing people to buy or rent this film. If you are offended DON'T WATCH IT!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Phil » March 1st, 2005, 3:33 pm

Jamie Foxx would be a good choice except for one potential problem.

As of Sunday night his pay rate probably took a giant leap.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by AniMan » March 1st, 2005, 4:15 pm

Special_Ed wrote:Yes, the sexual allegations against Cosby were proven false so the woman is filing a civil suit instead. It's clear that she only did this because of Cosby's statements about the black community in the US. Now if he were white and said those hings he'd be deemed racist, since he's bllack they have to discredit him. Apparently it's worked if he was dropped from Song of the South.

I think this whole PC crap is total BS. Just put the film out thereabd leave it at that. There is not a racist thing about that film. The only reason the film has that rep is because of how Disney has treated it and people wanting to jump all over Disney for anything.

No one is forcing people to buy or rent this film. If you are offended DON'T WATCH IT!
I've actually got to agree with you on this one, Ed. I am black (have been all my life :lol:) and I for one am not offended by this film at all. I consider it a part of history. It reminds me of the big fuss some made over a particular Looney Toons cartoon in which a big-lipped native is chasing Bugs. Yes, in retrospect, that is a pretty offensive, grotesque characterization. But that doesn't mean we should never show it again, or, even worse, edit it out, as if it never existed. It is what it is. I think art should be left alone, untampered with. People trying to stop the release of Song of the South do an injustice to history. Instead of crying racism, it would be more productive to reflect on how things were back in the day, and contrast that to today. For all the negative, there are also a lot of positive, even innocent things about the film. It can be a learning experience. :wink:
Do. Or do not. There is no try.
---[i]Master Yoda[/i]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » March 1st, 2005, 7:07 pm

Ahem, Denzel Washington! REMEMBER THE TITANS! HELLO
Yeah...I thought about that (and the Preacher's Wife, too) but I meant like, animated.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!