Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Song of the South

Post by ShyViolet » July 12th, 2020, 4:23 am

Floyd Norman’s take on all this:

https://bookandfilmglobe.com/creators/t ... the-south/

Fascinating as always! :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 12th, 2020, 10:23 am

How wonderful to hear a sane discussion of the film by someone who knows what he is talking about. Floyd comes at it as I do, with no preconceptions about how it "must" be racist just for daring to have a black southerner in it. And he defends the Dumbo crows, too! Good going, Floyd! I also like how he recognizes that he does not have the same perspective as other blacks. But, he knew Walt, and knew his intentions, which is more than most can say.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » July 12th, 2020, 11:42 am

I never understood why the crows are the issue in Dumbo and not the Song of the Roustabouts.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 12th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Excellent point.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 12th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Farerb wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 11:42 am
I never understood why the crows are the issue in Dumbo and not the Song of the Roustabouts.
Probably because the Rousts are never ACTUALLY identified as black--Tanned, maybe, we rarely see them by daylight, and we only assume they're "Hired black labor" because they're...lower-class hired labor singing about how hard they have to work. Yeah. Real progressive there, warriors.

And yet the early short "Pluto's Judgment Day", where three little black kittens with mammy-pigtails, backed up by a minstrel chorus, sing about what happened to their "poor Uncle Tom(cat)", somehow manages to escape public complaint. :shock:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 12th, 2020, 6:58 pm

I'd say that the roustabouts are VERY "tan."

Though they are obviously black to me, they of course aren't slaves. The song does raise an eyebrow, though. But it's still not as bad as the "Indian" song in Peter Pan.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 12th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Randall wrote:
July 12th, 2020, 6:58 pm
I'd say that the roustabouts are VERY "tan."
Though they are obviously black to me, they of course aren't slaves. The song does raise an eyebrow, though.
What, that no matter how hard and long they work (with pay), they at least feel thanklessly rewarded that they're helping put on a circus for all the kids?
Uh-oh, it's more of that insidiously indoctrinating Uncle Remus/Snow White "happiness" again!
But it's still not as bad as the "Indian" song in Peter Pan.
And the standard default reply that whoever thinks the "Red Indians" in Peter Pan are supposed to represent "real" Indians, really just doesn't understand the story.
The catty, predatory Mermaids in Neverland are also a damaging, sexist stereotype of real mermaids. :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 9th, 2020, 3:43 pm

Re: front page news story on Harry Shearer’s feelings towards replacing VO’s on Simps (and other cartoons) with those of the same race/ethnicity as the character in question. (I.e. Dr. Hibbert, Apu, etc...)

Wow Harry, couldn’t have said it better myself.

I have a very simple belief about acting,” Shearer said Monday during an interview on Times Radio. “The job of the actor is to play someone who they’re not...That’s the gig. That’s the job description.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-simpso ... 203003482/

This was in the comments. Oh my lord. :roll:
Let me break this down in language you will understand, Harry.

An Actors JOB is to bring the most authenticity to a character.

Do you think you bring the MOST authenticity to a character of color, or do you think there are actors who are POC out there who may bring GREATER authenticity?
No on the “actor’s job is to bring the most authenticity to a character”.

An actor’s job is to use their empathy, spirit, compassion and imagination to bring a character to life that the audience will either identify with, judge, understand AND judge, or simply be entertained by. Or all four. (And a million more.).

It depends on the film. Depends on the script. Depends on the director. This is ART we’re talking about. As long as there are no malicious messages that undermine the narrative and turn the story into a racist/prejudiced propaganda film, I don’t see the problem.

I mean if all you’re after is “authenticity” (and who even gets to define what that is??) why even bother making a movie or TV show in the first place?? Why not just make a one-note “documentary” that spells out everything you’re trying to “say” in your story without the trouble of hiring the “perfectly authentic” cast and crew. Who’s going to pay to see that??? Sounds pretty boring to me! :roll:

EDIT Authenticity IS important, especially when depicting race/culture; I guess I was just trying to say that there are other factors to consider too. Didn’t quite come out the way I meant to say it.
Last edited by ShyViolet on August 11th, 2020, 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 9th, 2020, 4:10 pm

I don't agree with Harry often, but I do think he has a point this time.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » August 10th, 2020, 8:50 am

Plus I really don’t understand how all of this is going to work: exactly how many characters are going to switch to a new VO??? These characters have been part of the show’s tapestry for decades now! :(. Replacing maybe five or ten (or more) is SERIOUSLY going to change the bedrock of the series. Whatever their race/ethnicity, these actors are the ones who GAVE LIFE to the complicated humans that current critics find offensive. The characters are a part of them. If different VO actors are suddenly cast, doesn’t that make the new voices LESS authentic??? I just don’t understand. :|

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2021, 3:21 pm

If only this were real...:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » February 25th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Yeah, definitely. :|. Would be awesome. Maybe in a few decades...? Who knows.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » February 25th, 2021, 8:03 pm

Yeah, hope so. Umm...what IS it? :?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » February 25th, 2021, 8:18 pm

Um...seriously...!? :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » February 25th, 2021, 8:35 pm

A poorly done Photoshop edit I found. The corners give it away, notice on South they're pointed while the other icons are more rounded.