Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 14th, 2008, 8:42 pm

PatrickvD wrote:I want Robert Downey Jr. as Sparrow's brother. :P
I like that idea! Depp and Downey Jr. would probably be hilarious together, playing the Sparrow brothers.
PatrickvD wrote:What I'm not up for is the Jule Vernes-esque Dinosaur/Atltantis plot. That would be massive overkill.

I'd like to see the rumored plot of Sparrow and Barbossa sailing together on a quest for the Fountain of Youth.

By the way, Terry Rossio, who co-wrote the first three Pirates of the Caribbean flicks, says the recent Pirates IV rumors as false. However, Cinema Blend has rechecked with their sources and insists that Burton, Cohen and Brand are all in consideration for the sequel. Meanwhile, Daily Record says that Brand has already been cast, earning a paycheck of $8.5 million.

I can't help to wonder if at least something among these rumors is true. Still, like Ben wrote, I think all this news needs to be taken with a dose of salt and pepper.

AV Team
AV Team

Pirates Of The Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

Post by Dan » September 15th, 2009, 3:03 am

Over the weekend was the first annual D23 Expo, Disney's official convention to showcase and promote their products, audiences at the September 11 press conference were treated to special guests like Tim Burton and Robert Zemeckis, a live performance by Miley Cyrus, and then a huge surprise in the form of Johnny Depp dressed as Captain Jack Sparrow. Depp joined Disney Chairman Dick Cook before the deafening screams of all the fans to confirm the fourth Pirates of the Caribbean movie, entitled "On Stranger Tides," which will be released Summer 2011. Reports are that the film will see Jack Sparrow venturing in search of the legendary Fountain of Youth.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2009, 6:27 am

Thanks for the heads up Akiyama! I've retitled this thread so we can keep up to date with the production and its eventual release in one place here on the boards.

<I>Please</I> keep all Pirates 4 updates in here, or else anyone starting multiple threads will be shipwrecked. Shiver me timbers, arrrgghhh!!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jeroen » September 15th, 2009, 7:03 am

That reminds me....its almost "talk like a pirate" day. :)

Very cool to see him dress up for the part to make the announcement.
I'm personally not that excited yet for a 4th as the 3rd left quite a bad taste for me personally.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 15th, 2009, 7:42 am

Wow, that is one full auditorium. I thought D23 would be a nice, little convention for the fans. But, it looks like it has as many people as Comic-Con. That's nice to know, actually.

Anyway, I stopped watching the series after the second film.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 15th, 2009, 10:03 am

I read that there's actually a novel about pirates called "On Stranger Tides" that finds a character named Jack searching for the fountain of youth. Speculation is that Disney knows about this book and they were either inspired by it or the new film is based on it.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 19th, 2009, 12:30 am

Official title card as shown at the expo.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » September 25th, 2009, 12:34 am

Cinema Blend believes On Stranger Tides will be Depp's last Pirates of the Caribbean film. Sources tell the site that Depp has lost enthusiasm for the franchise since Dick Cook is no longer at the studio. Apparently, Depp wasn't pleased with the Pirates sequels but had enough faith in Cook to sign on for Tides. Meanwhile, Disney is supposedly open-minded about recasting Capt. Jack Sparrow, if Depp does not return for the fifth and sixth Pirates films.

I should note that Cinema Blend has a history with On Stranger Tides rumors. Last October, the site reported that Tim Burton might direct the sequel. Cinema Blend also mentioned that either Sacha Baron Cohen or Russell Brand would play Sparrow's brother. It seems the Brand rumor was true. However, it is unknown if Burton or Cohen have been seriously considered for Tides.

With all that said, I really hope Disney does not recast Sparrow. Personally, I doubt they will. But if Disney does move forward with a Depp-less Pirates V, I hope they just drop the character and include some other eccentric personality such as Sparrow's brother - and when I say 'brother,' I don't mean an 'identical twin' played by a Depp impersonator. Either way, I wouldn't expect a Depp-less Pirates film to make $150 million domestically, even if Disney cast Brad Pitt, Zac Efron, and Robert Pattinson as Sparrow triplets.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2009, 9:59 am

I'm surprised Depp is even continuing talks for Pirates 4 and was half expecting him to jump ship. The "Disney will recast" line is nothing but posturing on their part so that he signs. But they could well go for "Sparrow's brother" or something, but that negates the point of the Pirates pictures. Brand in the series is VERY lazy casting, especially as he's a character that somewhat models himself along the same lines as Sparrow. That he's a serial womanizer and ex-junkie is also an odd choice for Disney's family friendly identity.

But, as far as Depp reconsidering and coming back on board (maybe even for 5 and 6, though why on Earth they are making those at all), and whatever and whoever turns up in further sequels, as the inimitable Bobbie Fleckman once said, "Money talks and b******* walks". ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » September 25th, 2009, 11:36 am

Wasn't Russell Brand in Disney's Bedtime Stories? So, casting him wouldn't be too unusual for the Mouse House.

As for whether they will go ahead with Pirates 4 without Depp, considering the buzz over his performance is the reason the first film became such a sleeper hit, it would have to take a really great script and a actor of his caliber to lead people back to the seats.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 25th, 2009, 1:50 pm

Brand: yep, but that was a sidekick role, not a potential torch bearer for their biggest franchise if a "brother" character becomes a lead in a Depp-less 5 and 6.

Depp: no, they won't want to set sail without their security blanket, which is why they will make him a historic payload offer. As I said above, whatever qualms he has about Dick Cook will walk when the money talks.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dan » September 25th, 2009, 10:11 pm

Besides, Depp is already locked in on a three picture deal that includes Pirates 4 (the others being Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" and "The Lone Ranger"). I may not know the specifics of the contract, but I don't think the changing of the guard is enough reason for him to "jump ship" legally.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 26th, 2009, 12:05 pm

From what I understand, Depp is a free agent. Pirates 4 is not in the contract that covers Alice and Lone Ranger, and even then I think those movies were separately set up. Depp's "three pictures" was a gentlemen's agreement, not anything signed on paper.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Zach » October 17th, 2009, 12:30 pm

Ben wrote:From what I understand, Depp is a free agent. Pirates 4 is not in the contract that covers Alice and Lone Ranger, and even then I think those movies were separately set up. Depp's "three pictures" was a gentlemen's agreement, not anything signed on paper.
I really thought the series was over with after the third film; guess not. :shock:

Then again, a lot of studios milk everything they have from their more well-known franchises for: $. Of course, we all know that. Disney/Pixar seems to have a clean record for not doing that with their movies, but even that can change.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 17th, 2009, 12:35 pm

Cough...Cars 2. ;)