Pirates of the Caribbean Franchise

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » August 18th, 2007, 4:39 pm

I can't wait to get the movie on DVD. :D
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » August 19th, 2007, 8:30 am

I think I'll pass...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » August 19th, 2007, 10:17 am

Um...so when did all the ships gather on the edge of "World's End" as seen in the bottom half of the 2-disc art, then?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » August 30th, 2007, 1:52 am

The Digital Bits wrote:The other issue we're looking into today are reports of misframing problems on Buena Vista's Blu-ray version of Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (compared to the DVD version)..and anything we learn we'll post here at The Bits.
Just in case anyone here has it, or was considering getting it.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by bawpcwpn » August 30th, 2007, 4:35 pm

When do you guys expect we shall get a box set?
"But I'm your No. 1 Fan!"
- Buddy a.k.a Syndrome

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 1st, 2007, 6:22 pm

When "At Wit's End" comes out, natch. ;)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 8th, 2008, 12:04 am

Cinema Blend has a very interesting rumor regarding Pirates of the Caribbean IV.

I've been thinking for months that Russell Brand should someday play Capt. Jack Sparrow's brother. Hence, I'm especially excited about that part of the rumor.

As for Tim Burton directing Pirates of the Caribbean IV, part of me wishes Gore Verbinski would return for the film. Still, Burton is a talented director who could breathe new life into the franchise.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 8th, 2008, 2:41 pm

Oh...the words "over exposure", "obvious casting" and "desperate" come to mind, regarding Brand.

On Burton...a surprise that Verbinski might not come back, but only perhaps, and is Tim that much of a wild choice?

Frankly, I'd take all this with a huge dose of salt and pepper as the story says...this really is "fantasy" casting and, I would wager, fantasy reporting.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » October 10th, 2008, 4:31 pm

Well, Jerry Bruckheimer always seems to have a large influence on his films, no matter who the director is. As for Burton, we can't forget that longtime Burton collaborator Rick Heinrichs was production designer for the Pirates films. But I don't see Burton getting hired. If Verbinski doesn't come back, there's a pretty good chance that Bruckheimer and the studio will choose someone safer. Although, admittedly, I never would have thought that Ridley Scott would do a Bruckheimer movie...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 10th, 2008, 5:47 pm

Ben wrote:On Burton...a surprise that Verbinski might not come back, but only perhaps, and is Tim that much of a wild choice?

Frankly, I'd take all this with a huge dose of salt and pepper as the story says...this really is "fantasy" casting and, I would wager, fantasy reporting.
Hearing "Tim Burton" in a rumor is the automatic flick-switch for me to assume it's fanboy fantasy cast-urbation... :wink:
Add +10 bonus points for "Burton & Depp", and an additional +5 for "Popular geek-cult director takes over sequel franchise".
(In our day, it was "John Woo", but that was before M:I-2...)

And as for "why" we're getting #4 at all, originally it was supposed to "justify" their new Disneyland POTC-makeover of Tom Sawyer Island, and tie the theme into New Orleans Square--
Until the project was DOA after they took a bath on #3 merchandise, but a sudden rush of Depp project announcements (ie. the Burton "Alice" and the Bruckheimer "Ranger") caused them to instinctively do a Warner, and pretend old memos were suddenly New again.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 12th, 2008, 5:18 pm

No doubting we'll get a #4...it's been confirmed by Dick Cook at the Disney presentation a couple of weeks ago, but doubtful that Verbinski won't be back.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » October 12th, 2008, 8:34 pm

I don't know how much I'll like a Jack-only PotC. We'll have to wait and see. A few months ago, AICN discussed a Jules Verne-esque tale of adventure with islands of dinosaurs and other magnificent wonders. That actually piqued my interest.
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 13th, 2008, 2:53 pm

I'd be well up for that as well...I think they really need to go all out with POTC after the too twisty last one.

Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner are <I>definitely</I> not back for more, but they had a kid, right...?

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » October 13th, 2008, 8:29 pm

Good point about Turner and Swann's son, Ben.

I also hope Geoffrey Rush returns as Barbossa for Pirates IV.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » October 14th, 2008, 8:44 am

I want Robert Downey Jr. as Sparrow's brother. :P

What I'm not up for is the Jule Vernes-esque Dinosaur/Atltantis plot. That would be massive overkill. They need to keep it small and focus on a tight story and not make it too bloated. That's what people hated about AWE. Besides the twist overkill of course.

And whatever happened to Anamaria? make her a main character.