The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 20th, 2006, 10:19 am

Interesting. Very interesting. This might actually be good.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » June 20th, 2006, 11:45 am

Man, if there's ever a Disney movie that they should make a prequel to, it's The Lion King. Oh man, that would just drive the fans nuts!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by YCougar » June 21st, 2006, 2:50 am

I'd be terrified that they'd mess it up, though... :S

But if done right, that could be awesome.

As for Little Mermaid... 0.5? I'll give it a chance, but I'm a bit skeptical.
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a388/ninja_otter/SKsignature.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member
Location: Pimpin all over the world...currently residing in Florida.

LITTLE MERMAID III plotpoint and news!

Post by 2good4u » June 27th, 2006, 9:47 pm

I think it might be alright. I'm lookin forward to Cinderella III though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Kenny X » July 1st, 2006, 2:04 am

Well the story line seems decent enough - as long as they don't make it about 'trying to find out who you are', and adding half-assed characters.

A trailer or a teaser to this movie would be great for the Little Mermaid special edition DVD.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 3rd, 2006, 12:52 pm

It'll be on there Kenny.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » July 16th, 2006, 10:32 am

This sounds intresting.
I agree on the whole "If they do a bad job" thing.
that would Kill the little mermaid.
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 16th, 2006, 5:08 pm

Didn't that happen with LM "II"?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by animated_guy » July 18th, 2006, 12:05 am

Ben wrote:Didn't that happen with LM "II"?
lol thats true.
I think they could have done SO MUCH with that plot.
They made it weak and boring.
~a-G :wink:
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e167/gerardo7412/800px-Ratatouille_Trailer.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid at the El Capitan

Post by droosan » September 8th, 2006, 4:36 am

I attended the premiere screening of THE LITTLE MERMAID at the El Capitan last evening, which was quite enjoyable (despite having a bunch of hyperactive kids sitting directly behind me in the balcony) ..

The panel discussion with Don Hahn, Musker & Clements, Jodi Benson, Sherri Stoner, Glen Keane, and Alan Menken was held before the screening -- which was a bit surprising, since these sort of 'Hollywood' events usually come after a screening. Thankfully, I did manage to hear all the 'goings-on' on stage over the din of (largely uninterested) kids behind me ( :? ).

Howard Ashman was mentioned quite often, and there was even a clip shown of him in the recording booth with Jodi Benson. Also shown were several clips of the live-action 'reference' Keane directed featuring Sherri Stoner. These clips will be available as 'extras' on the forthcoming DVD.

There were some nice surprises: Roy Disney was in attendance (just as part of the audience; not on-stage) .. Roger Allers came on to 'introduce' his film short THE LITTLE MATCHSTICK GIRL (which was screened after THE LITTLE MERMAID) .. and, best of all, Jodi Benson sang "Part of That World", accompanied by Alan Menken on a grand piano! :)

THE LITTLE MERMAID itself was gorgeous; the picture and the sound as pristine as is likely possible. Thankfully, there were no added songs or sequences -- just the film, exactly as you remember it. (as an aside, Menken did mention that the forthcoming THE LITTLE MERMAID Broadway show does contain several new songs .. including two sung by Scuttle!)

This is, IMO, the most 'perfect' film of the modern Disney era -- it seems so effortless in its storytelling, yet it is very carefully-crafted and 'water-tight' (pardon the pun .. :P ).

THE LITTLE MATCHSTICK GIRL was likewise beautiful .. but very sad. The ending was obviously 'disturbing' to children and parents alike (at least those nearby, in the balcony). Screening this particular film directly after the 'high' of THE LITTLE MERMAID'S 'happy ending' did seem a bit 'out-of-place' .. :? Still, it is quite a poetic film, and it was cool to see it knowing Roy Disney was there.

All in all, a nice -- most likely once-in-a-lifetime -- experience. :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 8th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Cool, glad you enjoyed it! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 8th, 2006, 1:21 pm

I was there too and I too was wondering why they didn't show The Little Matchgirl first. It was certainly a downer note to end on. And aren't shorts supposed to be shown before the feature? I'm thinking maybe it was a way to prevent people from walking out during the Little Mermaid credits though.
Last edited by Christian on September 18th, 2006, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid full site launched!

Post by Gnomeo » September 8th, 2006, 3:51 pm

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 8th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Yes, I think the events of the evening should have been reversed -- with THE LITTLE MATCH GIRL first, THE LITTLE MERMAID second, and the panel discussion last .. that way, all the parents and their children who were only there for the movie could have left, so that those of us who were interested could enjoy the panel in peace.

Not that I begrudge the little ones, but they were clearly restless throughout the panel, wondering when 'the cartoon' was going to start ..

As I said, I managed to have a nice time, regardless .. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 8th, 2006, 4:25 pm

WOW YOU LUCKY GUY.... :shock: :wink: :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!