The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 26th, 2006, 12:01 pm

What he was trying to say in the interview was that "of course" you can edit an animated movie, it's a film like any other. Maybe it wasn't clear in the interview.
But it's not a film like any other. Those clips take months and months of work. Cutting them if you don't really need to is just a waste of money.
So....I really don't think it was his "ambition" which caused him to leave Disney. He was basically pushed out. But Disney is extremely powerful and has tried to perpetuate the story that he left, he wanted money, he was greedy, he took credit for things he didn't do, etc...etc....After all who would doubt Disney? That's why so little of this is actually understood by the general public, and it's basically all you hear about. You have to really dig deep to get a clear picture because there's so many stories going back and forth. But after reading an ***-load of stuff on this issue, it's so, so clear (at least to me) that Disney/Eisner were the ones who were consistently lying.
So, JK didn't lie at all and he was just a victim in all of this.

Somehow I think there's more to the story. ;) And it still sounds to me like he was too ambitious at the time. But that's all I'm gonna say for now.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 26th, 2006, 12:51 pm

So, JK didn't lie at all and he was just a victim in all of this.

Somehow I think there's more to the story. And it still sounds to me like he was too ambitious at the time. But that's all I'm gonna say for now.
Well, Eisner admitted to his autobiographer more than once that he screwed JK over on purpose. :wink: :roll: And if Katzenberg was really greedy and dishonest, why did he wait two whole years before filing the lawsuit? Why didn't he sue as soon as he left the Diz?
BTW I think I'll bring my Little Mermaid DVD to Ithaca next week and ask him to autograph it. :) :oops:

Anyway hope to see Ben around here soon. It won't be the same without him
He comes and goes sometimes, but he always returns. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 26th, 2006, 3:37 pm

ShyViolet wrote: He comes and goes sometimes, but he always returns. :)
:shock: that's good to hear.

I'm still new so I didn't know, Sorry :oops:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 26th, 2006, 4:05 pm

No biggie! :)

Also, about K: I admit I don't have all the facts. And I could be wrong and WJ could just as easily be right....so, let's put it to rest. :wink:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Awwwwee, I'm feeling the love, people! :)

And, now I'm back I can add one more bit of trivia to the mix:

The first Disney animation to get a PG was..."The Mad Doctor", a Mickey Mouse short from 1933, which was suggested as "for adults only" at the time and officially given an MPAA PG rating on 16mm release prints in the 1970s.

It's an excellent short, drawing from many Universal "Old Dark House" influences, and has some amazing 3D background work. It's one of my favorites.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 29th, 2006, 4:03 pm

I've heard about that cartoon. What was it rated PG for?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 29th, 2006, 8:09 pm

"The Mad Doctor", a Mickey Mouse short from 1933,
Was it the inspiration for Runaway Brain?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 29th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Ben wrote:Awwwwee, I'm feeling the love, people! :)
Mainly from me, but yes, you were missed :wink:
ShyViolet wrote:
"The Mad Doctor", a Mickey Mouse short from 1933,
Was it the inspiration for Runaway Brain?
I know this! Yes it is Vi! :P Leonard Maltin mentioned it was the inspiration for "Runaway Brain" on the Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 2 Walt Disney Treasure!

He also said it was very different because of pacing and the way the animation has improved, so it wasn't a carbon copy of "Mad Doctor"

BTW..... I really liked that short, very cool :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 30th, 2006, 4:51 am

Thanks, Dan. :)

Yeah, there's a lot of Mad Doctor in Runaway Brain but they are completely different cartoons in look, story and pacing. The only thing is that they both spoof the old dark house style.

Both are fun cartoons, but I'd take the atmosphere of MD over RB, ultimately.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 30th, 2006, 2:22 pm

Your right Ben, there both really fun. And I to prefer MD over RB :wink:

RB is abit to fast in pacing, but the animation was very well drawn. While MD had a slower pace it ultimatly had the better story :? :)

Eh....both are great! Can't go wrong with Mickey :P

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 31st, 2006, 9:34 pm

Jim Hill must be reading this site! :)

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/ ... /6493.aspx

Some very cool images, but the article is MONDO lame! He wrote the entire thing just to say that you can see Zazu in one frame??

Plus so many people now already know the meaning behind "Dr. Frankenollie". :roll:

I do think it was a good idea to have RB on Halloween, but...it might have been good to actually write a real story to go with it! :roll:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » October 31st, 2006, 10:04 pm

So true Vi ;)

I thought the story was rather lame.

And saying Toon Disney didn't air it today, how could they? Toon Disney rarely ever shows Mickey shorts, why start now? Next he'll say they never air The Prince and The Pauper :roll:

Did you see how he exactly said, its in the Walt Disney Treasure: Mickey Mouse in Living Color Volume 2? I wonder if he really knew that :?

And he pointed out the obvious inside jokes, Exorsist, Frank and Ollly :?

Guess it was a real trick or treat. :P

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 1st, 2006, 6:45 am

Careful, Vi...Jim might be reading!

But what was that? Just a run through of the cartoon's story with only a couple of gags pointed out at the end? That house gag <I>could</I> also have been inspired by Psycho, which did the light from the window onto a lone man standing in shadow way before The Exorcist.

Is Jim a real fan? There are MANY more references than that! Start with Julius' name for beginners!

On the number of images ripped from the DVD...couldn't Disney ask for them to be taken down? I mean, go fast enough and it almost animates itself!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 1st, 2006, 6:22 pm

Well, if he was reading I hope I didn't offend him....I mostly think his site is very cool and I love his financial/Disney/behind the scenes stories.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 1st, 2006, 7:16 pm

That goes for me, as well. I just felt so plagerized. :P

But I'm sure he did know, anyway.
Last edited by Daniel on June 30th, 2007, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.