The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Otis8 » January 22nd, 2008, 2:07 am

Nods!? I do not see any.

I think the animation looks very good, and I'm no ariel fanboy, its just one of favorite movies.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2008, 9:46 am

Hey Dan...Disney closed down WDTVA-Japan after Cinders II, it's true, but the staff actually continued the studio as their own concern. Ironically enough, Disney then went back to them as a client and they animated another couple of movies (Patch's London Adventure - for sure - and Fox And The Hound II, I <I>think</I>).

Of course, Disney never only used <I>one</I> company either, the credits reveal up to five or six studios work on these things.

:)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 22nd, 2008, 1:56 pm

I actually like the animation,it's very good in my opinion,there's something in it that reminds of a TV series but still it's good,Ariel is more on-model then in Both the series and TLM II.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Post by Dusterian » January 22nd, 2008, 3:05 pm

OH THANK GOSH I have found SANITY here!

Ben, thank you so much! I've read too many comments about the animation being great and people getting excited for the movie! I didn't understand how they could possibly think that, because if people love Ariel so much, shouldn't they want her to, well, look like her?! It must be all that light and shading, which actually makes it uglier in a way. It just muddies it up. You know, I trust you a lot more than many fans about animation, since, well, you have all this cred and experience.

Dan, aw, I would actually say that this animation looks far worse than the animation in the Sneak Peek! I mean, look at Ariel in the club, which is what the sneak peek showed. Ariel is a younger, more excited version than the movie, but she still looks recognizable. Now, in the trailer she's some kind of mutated version. I made a little comparison:
Now, here's a screencap of our original mermaid. You tell me which one she looks more like, the sneek peek version on the left or the amorphus thing from the trailer on the right.

It's true, the only thing remotely "good" or worth getting excited about is seeing a younger version of everyone, and so we see some of their past. But how can we be excited about their past if their past isn't exciting?

I still don't know how you can think the story will be good, Dan, with the plot we have so far. Unless they add things to the plot that are far more exciting or dramatic or like the movie. Even the villain, Marina Del Ray, sounds pathetic. She practices music with Ariel and her sisters. In fact, the fact that they went and created a new villain really bothers me. Why not dive into Ursula's past, if we get to see everyone else's?

I am not necessarily hopeful, but I think I can say I hoping that we do get more interesting events than Ariel bringing music back to Atlantica or Flounder and Ariel dancing together.
Otis8 wrote:Nods!? I do not see any.

I think the animation looks very good, and I'm no ariel fanboy, its just one of favorite movies.
Well, I didn't catch them all, but Ariel dancing with Flounder is almost exactly like Melody dancing with a random turtle in "For A Moment" from The Little Mermaid II. And maybe Ariel going through the gate when Sebastian didn't want her too also reminded Daniel of Melody getting through the wall when Sebastian didn't want her too.

How does the animation look very good or even good at all? If you really are a fan of the movie and not just Ariel, I can't see how you don't notice how different they look from the movie. Did you even read what Ben said, and consider it?

Now some people over at anther forum mentioned that because everyone is younger they could and actually should look different, but different doesn't have to be bad. And how they're designed is seperate from movement, which is very poor and even strange. Everyone moves in a blobby kind of way!
Once Upon A Dream wrote:Ariel is more on-model then in Both the series and TLM II.
Maybe she looks better in TLMII, but I think Ariel looked more like herself and far better in the series!
Last edited by Dusterian on January 26th, 2008, 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Post by Meg » January 22nd, 2008, 3:18 pm

That is just scary. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2008, 3:58 pm

Thanks for the comparison, Dusterian! Oh my, that's terrible! Ariel's eyes look so big and her hair is like eww! Now I'm starting to wish it resembled the sneak peek more.

And yes, you are quite correct, those are what remined me of LMII. Thank you for answering.
Dusterian wrote:I still don't know how you can think the story will be good, Dan, with the plot we have so far.
Me neither. I don't know, I want to hope Disney is keeping something a secret.

Actually, when I first heard about LMIII, I was really hoping Ursula would be in it and that would have dived into her past and such. That would've been ten times better then what we know so far. As it is, it's not looking too good. Here's hoping Marina is real meanie, though!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 22nd, 2008, 4:15 pm

Thanks for agreeing with me Meg, ha, scary is a really good word for it! And yay, thanks for all you said, Dan!

Now that you specifically said "I want to hope Disney is keeping something a secret", that is exactly how I feel, too! But I guess you are just more hopeful than me, and not being as negative. I hope you're right Dan!

I remember you and me wanting Ursula back on UltimateDisney. I think everyone wanted/wants to know what happened to her getting kicked out of the palace.

I still am hoping the secret is Marina Del Ray is Ursula in disguise. That's what someone else suggested to me, and I thought it was an exciting idea! If that's not the case, I hope Marina does something really special, but nothing suggests that so far except that by practicing music, that is odd for a villain to do what Ariel wants/likes.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2008, 4:52 pm

Sadly, there's no reason for Disney to keep anything "secret". This is it folks. :(

Dusterian, thanks for the kind words...I does what I can, guv'nor!

I found it amusing that, out of all your screenshots, Arial actually looks youngest of all in the original 1989 film!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 22nd, 2008, 7:56 pm

I'm still hopeful Marina Del Ray will be MUCH better then Morgana... Freaky, I just realized they both start with an "M". Nah, I doubt there's a connection. ;)
Dusterian wrote:I remember you and me wanting Ursula back on UltimateDisney. I think everyone wanted/wants to know what happened to her getting kicked out of the palace.
Oh wow, I completely forgot about that! :o
Dusterian wrote:I still am hoping the secret is Marina Del Ray is Ursula in disguise. That's what someone else suggested to me, and I thought it was an exciting idea! If that's not the case, I hope Marina does something really special, but nothing suggests that so far except that by practicing music, that is odd for a villain to do what Ariel wants/likes.
Yep, I remember when that was brought up. That would be AWESOME! If it was true. Because yeah, that does seem fishy (hehe) that Marina would have the same interest as Ariel... unless she gets jealous or something and then turns on Ariel. :idea:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 23rd, 2008, 8:57 am

I think Ariel is on-model and pretty in this film.
Wait,Dusterian,your user name in UltimateDisney is Disney Duster?.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning

Post by Dusterian » January 23rd, 2008, 12:48 pm

Yes Ben, I agree, Ariel does look youngest in the actual film!

Dan, the jealousy's an idea, but I hope it's more than just jelousy. I want the villain to have some master plan to do something to Triton or the whole kingdom.

Once Upon A Dream, your perserverence in liking how Ariel looks for this movie is touching, even after all I've done. If you really are pleased with her, then okay, I guess the fans are pleased, so in a way they did their job. But don't you think they could have done an even better job? And you can't tell me you think she looks great in every scene from the trailer.

And yes, Disney Duster is my other name on that forum!
Last edited by Dusterian on January 23rd, 2008, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » January 23rd, 2008, 12:53 pm

She seems a bit odd but better then in The Little Mermaid II.
Really? my other name there is Ariel'sprince :D.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Dusterian » January 23rd, 2008, 2:55 pm

I knew you were Ariel'sprince by your love of princesses and your avatars and signatures!

Ben, if you think this is being done in Japan, do you think that because they are used to anime with still, detailed poses and little, low-frame-rate movement, so they are having trouble with Disney's less-detailed but much better and smoother moving animation? And that's why everything looks blobby and gets all over the place?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 23rd, 2008, 2:56 pm

Yah. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 23rd, 2008, 4:46 pm

Once, from the preview you think Ariel looks better than she did in LMII? Sad to say, but I disagree. I don't like the film, but with exception of when Ariel is a mermaid, I think she's pretty on-model.
Dusterian wrote:I want the villain to have some master plan to do something to Triton or the whole kingdom.
Same here!