The Little Mermaid

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid

Post by ShyViolet » June 22nd, 2005, 6:36 pm

This was my first experience with this story, two years before Disney's came out. (I was nine). It's an anime version which I guess is hard to find nowadays but it's definetely worth it! The ending is completely different from Disney's version, very sad, but true to the book.

When I first saw Disney's version I was quite impressed, but this film came first for me.

LINK DELETED--replaced with inappropriate material
Last edited by ShyViolet on June 8th, 2008, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 23rd, 2005, 9:18 pm

I saw this when Disney's Mermaid came out - they bundled it on a very cheap VHS that I picked up.

Sorry to say I didn't think much of it, in the usual Japanese way, though you're right about the ending.

Anyone remember a Japanimation called "Unico"? It would have to had been made before 1984, but I can't find any reference to it. I saw the English-language version and my sister and I loved it until our VHS went missing or was taped over.

I'm not confusing this with The Last Unicorn, but it was definitely Japanese and had a scene where the little unicorn was lost at sea...

All in all, I remember it being pretty well animated. Ahhhh, memories... :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » June 23rd, 2005, 9:36 pm

I believe there was another animated version of Little Mermaid before Disney's, in fact I know there was because I saw it but I don't think it was an anime one. I'm pretty sure it was an American one and maybe from the sixties.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » June 23rd, 2005, 11:15 pm

There have been many versions of The Little Mermaid filmed -- most seem to be animated.

I remember seeing one in a church group over twenty years ago. Hardly animated, mostly still pictures that followed the original Andersen story closely. Yes, it had the sad ending but at least the mermaid gained a human soul and ascended into heaven.

The next version of the story I remember clearly is Disney's where the ending WAS changed and the title character was a redhead. The Little Mermaid is usually portrayed as a blonde.

After Disney's theatrical version came out, an anime TV series version was syndicated for a short while by Saban called "The Adventures of the Little Mermaid" and the lead character's name was Marina. (Andersen never gave her a name as far as I know. She was always "the little mermaid.") This series takes place AFTER the Andersen story but Marina and the prince weren't married and obviously there hadn't been a sad ending to the original story that preceded the TV series.

The fourth version of the story that I've seen bits of is part of a 1960s stop-motion film compilation of Hans Christian Andersen's stories. In that film, the voice of The Little Mermaid was done by Hayley Mills, Disney's second most popular child actress (after Annette Funicello) and one of their biggest theatrical draws of the 1960s. I believe this film was shown on AMC some years back.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 24th, 2005, 8:19 pm

There's also a full-length stop-motion feature, from Hungary or Denmark. I remember seeing it - and being very bored - since I was about nine or so and it was subtitled.

My, how I've grown up. :( ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » June 26th, 2005, 4:58 pm

Disney's version will always be the one for me, first movie in theaters, first on vhs, first on dvd, in my opinion the greatest animated film ever :D :P It's a Disney formula alright, but handled perfectly and if it weren't for Little Mermaid we might not be where we are today, but we'll never know that. :lol: :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Little Mermaid SE DVD official site opens!

Post by Gnomeo » March 24th, 2006, 5:12 am

The official site for The Little Mermaid Special Edition DVD has been launched. As for now there is only a trailer. The edition swims into stores October 3.

Link

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 8:36 am

Let's keep this the place for Little Mermaid DVD news, people!

Welcome to the boards Gnomeo! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » March 24th, 2006, 11:58 am

I'm glad I didn't buy the previous DVD release of this.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2006, 3:28 pm

The Limited Issue?

Will be interesting to see which version makes it to this new DVD. The last LaserDisc release (which I have) and the LI DVD both only contained the last theatrical re-issue from 1997.

Like the "Special Editions" of Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King, the end credits were different in that they had some restoration people in there and new credit music rather than Menken's score.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Thanks!

Post by Gnomeo » March 24th, 2006, 4:12 pm

Ben wrote: Welcome to the boards Gnomeo! :)
I've been reading the Animated news daily for several years but haven't written in the forum :D

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Wonderlicious » March 26th, 2006, 10:10 am

Ben wrote:Like the "Special Editions" of Beauty And The Beast and The Lion King, the end credits were different in that they had some restoration people in there and new credit music rather than Menken's score.
Was the music the poopy Peter Andre rendition of "Kiss the Girl"? Regardless of what the song was, I really want the original "Under the Sea/Random Music" end credit music like on the original video for this DVD.
-Joe

[i]GIRL: Do you know the way to the Magic Kingdom?
PETER PAN: Sure I do...but can you [b]fly?[/b][/i]
-Scary Disney World TV ad circa '71

[b][url=http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&sub=All&id=big_joe]My DVD List[/url][/b]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 26th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Random music?

Trust this would be the orchestral instrumental version of Part Of Your World, by Mr Menken! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Beginning

Post by animfan » June 20th, 2006, 4:58 am

I've got some news for you guys about the little mermaid III!!!!It will be prequel to the original movie of 1989!We will see ariel as a
child!The movie will explore the relationship between ariel and her mother!!!!Sally field will play the bad in the movie!!!Only that i can tell you!!!

News are telling that disney didnt give up the sequel production untill now!There are many of them in the works!But i dont know about the far future...

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » June 20th, 2006, 9:48 am

We beat you to this by a few hours! If you're the guy that's been emailing me - sorry it took so long to get this up. I was sick most of last week and only got around to checking email this past weekend.