Little Shop of Horrors (1986) original ending

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Little Shop of Horrors (1986) original ending

Post by GeorgeC » November 27th, 2009, 12:18 am

The original ending for the 1986 musical version of Little Shop of Horrors was rejected by test audiences and instead new footage was filmed and incorporated into what could be salvaged of the final battle with Audrey II.

[<B>POST DELETED BY MODERATOR</B>]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Little Shop of Horrors (1986) original ending

Post by estefan » November 27th, 2009, 5:39 am

GeorgeC wrote: It's also available on the retail DVD of the film, too...
I recall David Geffen actually asking Warner Brothers to pull the initial DVD release off the shelves immediately, because he didn't want the original ending to be made public until it was cleaned up and in colour. So, the DVDs you find in retailers nowadays don't have the deleted ending.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 27th, 2009, 10:43 am

George, I deleted your post above.

Estafan is right in that producer David Geffen was horrified when he found out that director Frank Oz had okayed the inclusion of a VHS transfer of the black and white ending to Little Shop on its very first DVD release.

The discs were pulled and an exact same looking edition was put out in its place, and even now you need to read the small print to see if you have one with the ending on it or not.

I deleted the links for several reasons, one of which is copyright. Although we are pretty flexible with most clips posted here, we do enjoy a good relationship with the Studios, and in particular Warner Bros. We would hate to lose the chance of working with them again because we allowed clips to be posted here, and certainly clips that we knew had been requested to be pulled.

There's also a matter of length: again, we don't usually mind a short, commercial or title sequence, but posting over 20 minutes in length of such material is pushing things a lot, even if it is cool to see (luckily, being an avid Little Shop fan, I managed to buy the legit DVD with the ending on day one).

Lastly, Warners have hinted that they want "to do Little Shop right" on Blu-ray in reply to a question about the ending being made available again, suggesting that they are cleaning up the ending to present as complete as possible alternate on the eventual disc. So let's wait and see this properly, as opposed to posting rips from embargoed material.

Thanks. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 10th, 2022, 3:54 pm

Remake has been axed.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 10th, 2022, 6:19 pm

Glad. :). Weird, was just recently watching clips of it, particularly the brilliant “I’m just a mean green Mother from outer space” sequence. You know it would never have lived up to the original, plus they almost certainly would have used CGI, ugh. I also read how it took like 50 people just to operate Audrey 2! :o So awesome.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 10th, 2022, 7:48 pm

I did not know that Taron had been tapped for that. Although I was kind of anti a remake, it’s still something of a shame, as he would have been great!