Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen (formerly Snow Queen) 2013

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2013, 5:26 am

Also, Rapunzel, like Snow Queen, was a mess of abandoned storyboards during the Eisner administration, until the new Lasseter crew just darned the torpedoes, went forward with a "funny" rom-com/fairytale script to get it finished (although still some touches of the "teen comedy" Unbraided scripts), and slapped the "Enchanted" style adjective title on it, since that was the last movie to save Disney's bacon.

And worked out pretty well. From what I've read, the previous attempts to do Snow Queen were painfully off the point of the original story, so if this's as close as they're ever going to get to it, it's...not too bad, really. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » September 29th, 2013, 5:30 am

The only thing I didn't like from the trailer was the snowman. Seems out of place. Not only does he/it seem unnecessary but the character design is odd and doesn't go with the feel of the rest of the character designs.

Sure, Frozen became a possibility again because of the success of Tangled but I can't blame Disney for that. It is important to make successful movies. So, seeing how Tangled succeeded, give Frozen another shot. I just don't want Disney to get stuck in similar formulas. Wreck-it-Ralph was definitely a different movie and successful one at that so it shows different formulas can work and should be employed.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 29th, 2013, 4:48 pm

Not sure why so many people are hating Olaf. He looks like a traditional Disney sidekick from what I can see. And, even more importantly, he seems funny.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » September 29th, 2013, 7:36 pm

From what fans saw at the D23, Olaf also gets a funny song (and appropriate subplot) about what he plans to do on his sunny summer vacation, once the freeze-curse is broken...Seems no one told him the cold truth.
(Obvious hints of Ray the Firefly from P&tF, but I don't even remember what happened to him.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 29th, 2013, 8:56 pm

The problem is... I often don't like the Dinsey comedic sidekicks. They can work (Beauty and The Beast), but too often they threaten to spoil a good film (Mushu, the Gargoyles). This Frozen character just doesn't seem to fit in the movie.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » September 29th, 2013, 11:50 pm

Whoa! Hang on just a minute there!

Respect the Mushu, bro.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 30th, 2013, 12:24 am

Sorry, dude. Jive-talkin' Mushu is just one step above Rosie O'Donnell's Brooklyn ape girl.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » September 30th, 2013, 1:01 am

I have faith that Olaf will fit in with the movie. I admit that while he seems out of place character design wise, the bits and pieces I've read around on the net justifies why he appears like that, and I do believe he will be integrately seamlessly into the plot as opposed to some of the other shoehorned sidekicks.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 1st, 2013, 12:25 pm

It's a lot jokier than I thought it was going to be; I thought there would be a more "epic" feeling. The snowman definitely contributes to this, and so does the "mismatched couple go on an adventure and fall in love" thing. :? Disney films are definitely on an upswing but there's still that cutesy, safe feel of Bolt, Princess, etc.....Hope they let Disney make an "Inside Out" type film so we can finally herald the second Renaissance.
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » October 2nd, 2013, 2:04 am

I hope you are right, Bill1978. I just can't imagine how at this point but I will see the movie and know for sure.

Mulan without Mushu? Can't imagine it. His character design fit good in movie and he had an important role to play.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » October 2nd, 2013, 9:34 am

Mulan needed Mushu. But he didn't have to sound like he was from Detroit. I didn't mind him all that much, though.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 2nd, 2013, 6:28 pm

Detroit? Sounded like a talking donkey to me... ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by TitusTodd » October 4th, 2013, 3:55 am

Actually, the talking donkey sounded like a talking dragon to me. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by gaastra » October 4th, 2013, 8:32 am

It's a lot jokier than I thought it was going to be; I thought there would be a more "epic" feeling. The snowman definitely contributes to this, and so does the "mismatched couple go on an adventure and fall in love" thing. Disney films are definitely on an upswing but there's still that cutesy, safe feel of Bolt, Princess, etc.....Hope they let Disney make an "Inside Out" type film so we can finally herald the second Renaissance.
Didn't see the leaked storybook pages huh? This film gets dark near the end. It's not as cute as disney is making it out to be. There are alot of emotions.

It's like the iron giant trailer where they only showed the comedy parts. That movie was more then a comedy. This is the same.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » October 4th, 2013, 12:05 pm

Cool, that's good to know. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!