Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen (formerly Snow Queen) 2013

Post by Bill1978 » July 30th, 2012, 8:41 am

Found this over at IMDb, is this more likely to be more official than the other one? They don't exactly say where they got it from, but it contains a different logo and uses the word Disney. I have my doubts.

http://i46.tinypic.com/1azxx.jpg

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Macaluso » July 30th, 2012, 9:16 am

This is all I saw when I looked at that image:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » July 30th, 2012, 9:39 pm

You image makes more sense. The thing that really highlighted my doubts about the oriinal image is the use of the word Snow Queen. Why name the movie Frozen but then use The Snow Queen in the tag line. Seems a bit counterproductive.

The same board has links to concept art but they all had references to Disney's Snow Queen' so I assume they are from the original cancelled version as opposed to this new version.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 31st, 2012, 12:11 am

Bill1978 wrote:Why name the movie Frozen but then use The Snow Queen in the tag line. Seems a bit counterproductive..
THEY say "It's our new interpretation", WE think "They always use Enchanted/Tangled gerund verbs as their one lucky rabbit's-foot when they panic about the marketing", but it could be for a title change to legally distance themselves from previous canceled versions. That could even possibly the reason for Rapunzel/Tangled's change after Keane left the project (and Frog Princess->Princess & the Frog), we'll never know.

There's certainly no stigma against putting "Snow" or "Queen" in the title, so I'm guessing whatever stigma there is must be around all those older loopier drafts they couldn't get off the ground. It's still the Snow Queen story, though (a lot more than the earlier treatments were), so she's going to get mentioned at least once--We know the Rapunzel story, so they could get away with Tangled, but most people don't KNOW Andersen's story, and it'll be a last minute sell to persuade average folks Disney didn't make up the idea, and keep that classic-fairytale vibe.
(Still, I like the "Winter" tagline better, m'self...Unless, ew, wait, it's not meant to be some Dark Knight parody or something, is it?)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 31st, 2012, 5:52 am

Is it real? Who knows?

It certainly looks the part, but is still lacking some usual copyright and other info (like c.Disney and "this film is not yet rated", etc - now just watch as a third "official" image is "released" with that info added!).

Actually, I prefer the Snow Queen tagline. The movie is called Frozen but that's a neat way to make their play on the fact that this is an adaptation of The Snow Queen for those that know that story. For those that don't, it's fascination and intrigue: who is the Snow Queen, and why should we fear her coming? It sets it up pretty well, I think, by alluding to the character and original story while also providing the contemporary title.

If it's real, I like it. If it's not, then it's a pretty good job (even if I'm not particularly sold on the silhouette's shape, which isn't defined enough).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 11th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Some official concept art from the movie Frozen, not from the older Snow Queen project

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/10/06/ ... ys-frozen/

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » October 28th, 2012, 5:11 pm

OMG! AN ACTUAL TRAILER FOR THE SNOW QUEEN! YES, YES, YES!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=96450

;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » October 28th, 2012, 10:33 pm

Maybe I am totally clueless, but I guess this Russian movie may be one of the leading reason why Disney is making a movie called Frozen and not The Snow Queen. I admit that I even got excited with the image of the poster until I saw the word The Snow Queen.

From a legal point of view can Disney try to block this getting released in the USA before their movie, or is the law pretty much 'suck it up sunshine'. I admit that if this got an English dub and a general release, I might check it out to get the general plot of the original fairytale before heading off into Disney's reworking.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 29th, 2012, 5:12 am

Bill1978 wrote:From a legal point of view can Disney try to block this getting released in the USA before their movie, or is the law pretty much 'suck it up sunshine'..
Nothing to do with the imitators (on the contrary, was likely changed because of their own old projects)--
And yeah, the law's pretty powerless, as far as public-domain Andersen stories go: If there was some legal power to stop imitators from squatting on shared public-domain-source titles, we'd have locked Asylum Studios up long ago, and brought back the electric chair, just especially for "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies".
I admit that if this got an English dub and a general release, I might check it out to get the general plot of the original fairytale before heading off into Disney's reworking
The original's a good story, for Andersen territory, but I fear very little of it may end up in Disney's version. (Even less than the amount of Grimm-Rapunzel that ended up in Tangled.)

Still, the old 80's Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tales series is a good "reference source" to archive the original tales before Disney got their hands on them in the 90's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5PJgUPomgM
Last edited by EricJ on October 29th, 2012, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » October 29th, 2012, 7:53 am

Oh, my...this just about has everything thrown into it, doesn't it!? :?

From the sound of that trailer, looks like it already has an English dub...whether we see it is another matter but I'm disappointed Bekmambetov has put his name to this after the amazing Night Watch/Day Watch, Wanted and 9: the visuals look really lame (someone comments that they look ten years old - I think older!).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » October 30th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Bill1978 wrote:Found this over at IMDb, is this more likely to be more official than the other one? They don't exactly say where they got it from, but it contains a different logo and uses the word Disney. I have my doubts.
This week was on a survey for upcoming '13 videogames--naturally Disney's planning a movie tie-in--and their supposedly official pre-cover logo for "Frozen" had a completely different style than the one in the pic:
The title word there was in more of an icy-modern art-deco style, to suggest a more cool comic tone, than the mere imitation-Tangled fairytale font in the unverified pic.
And of course, even THAT may be subject to change as advance marketing permits...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » November 29th, 2012, 10:38 pm

The movie gets a co-director

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/j ... ozen-67056

They have contributed to the movie's screenplay and also co-wrote the screenplay of Wreck It Ralph

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » December 13th, 2012, 1:33 pm

There's a new article with concept art over at http://family-room.ew.com/2012/12/13/di ... irst-look/. I am really looking forward to this!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Valaquenta » February 1st, 2013, 8:52 pm

New posters released showing Anna and her wicked sister Elsa over at Collider.com

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » February 1st, 2013, 9:30 pm

Thanks for sharing the news. My initial reaction was that the models look a little too cheap and shiny, but I think that's cause of the 'bland' backdrop both are on. And am I the ony one that thinks Anna looks cross eyed?