Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: Disney's Frozen

Post by Bill1978 » January 15th, 2021, 6:17 pm

I'm with Daniel, the return of Hans and redeem him.

If they do go ahead with F3, I hope they come up with a plot that involves everyone being together most of the time and not have individual plots occurring on their own. And better songs. And by better songs, I mean ones that actually serve to progress the plot and feel musical theatre. Instead of everyone getting a solo moment in the sun song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 16th, 2021, 12:55 pm

Totally. Aside from "Some Things Never Change", that's how they all come across. And Anna only really got one song! Such a lovely voice wasted. She showed tons of emotion but it wasn't very catchy or hummable. More of a talky song.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 16th, 2021, 4:10 pm

I agree about Frozen II songs. Some of them are fine, but on the whole the soundtrack feels very un-Disney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 16th, 2021, 4:42 pm

Yep. I'm surprised the sisters didn't get a duet or one between Anna and Kristoff.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 16th, 2021, 7:00 pm

Well, the new regime didn't COMPLETELY make it a "Yentl" for Elsa--
Olaf got a better number, and Kristoff got another "I'm so lonely and discombobulated a single guy, I wish there was a smart, organized woman out there who could fix me, so I bathe more often and don't talk to my reindeer like other lonely single guys talk to their dogs!" song.
Thought the new "I'm such commitment-timid damaged goods, etc." guy would get a big one too, but there wasn't much time away from the story.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 16th, 2021, 7:59 pm

"Papa, can you hear me? People are asking where you’ve been..."

Oops...there I go mixing up my Yentls with my Frozens again.

Frozen Yentls...? :lol:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 17th, 2021, 4:45 am

Daniel wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 4:42 pm
Yep. I'm surprised the sisters didn't get a duet or one between Anna and Kristoff.
I thought the deleted duet between Anna and Kristoff was really nice, I would have chosen it over both Lost in the Woods and The Next Right Thing.
I just really think this soundtrack has become really forgettable, something about it just doesn't feel timeless unlike the previous three musicals Disney did before Frozen II. I really wish they brought back Menken.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » January 17th, 2021, 3:07 pm

Yeah, I thought "I Wanna Get This Right" was cute. Fun as "Lost in the Woods" is, it's pretty jarring!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 17th, 2021, 3:23 pm

It just doesn't fit the movie. The songs need to move the story forward and Lost in the Woods just pauses the film in order to have an 80's rock ballad. Maybe if they actually cared about developing Kristoff, it wouldn't feel so jarring. (And I don't hate the song just to be clear).

However, The Next Right Thing is just a failure on all accounts, it's not catchy, it's not fun to sing, it's all over the place. This song needs to stand together with other Princesses' songs like A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes, Part of Your World, Just Around the Riverbend, Reflection, How Far I'll Go, etc... and it's just... the worst Disney Princess song ever written.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by danieltruchsess » January 17th, 2021, 6:53 pm

I might be in the minority, but I don't want another Frozen. I enjoyed both movies, and I like the characters, but I don't need another movie. Shorts, and specials are ok, though. In regards to the song of II, I agree with your comments about The Next Right Thing. I will say, though, I loved "Show Yourself", even more than all the songs on I.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » January 17th, 2021, 7:52 pm

You're not alone, danieltruchsess .. I've no interest in Froz3n, either.

(we probably still are a 'minority' on that opinion, though) :lol:

-----------------------------

I must confess that I wasn't especially fond of either Frozen 2 or Wreck-It Ralph 2 .. and I'm somewhat infamous for liking everything. :|

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » January 17th, 2021, 8:52 pm

A certain colleague of mine often chastises me for "liking everything," too (I think that I just like to find the good in everything), but I also found those two sequels quite lacking. However, I still think that Frozen demands a third part to complete its story.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » January 18th, 2021, 12:01 am

I was against a sequel to Frozen back then, I think a continuation to a musical fairytale is dumb, I still do in fact. The sisters reunited, the story was complete, it was unnecessary.
But they decided to do it so now I don't really care if there's Frozen III, do it, don't do it, it's all fine by me (I'm more annoyed by the Moana TV series). I actually think a third movie might redeem the mediocre sequel so maybe I do want it a little, but the Frozen property as a whole doesn't interest me much, whatever they decide - it's fine.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Bill1978 » January 18th, 2021, 2:35 am

I understand why F2 was made I really do, cause it was quick money. I was hoping what Disney would have taken away from the success was that the public would like more fairy tale musicals. I firmly believe that Tangled (and a lesser extent Princess and the Frog) helped show the public that they enjoyed the 90s musical mode that the sarcastic 2000s told them they didn't like anymore. Without those 2 I don't think Frozen would have been as huge as a success as it was.

The big problem with Frozen, is that it really did seem to be driven about getting another Let It Go. The push for Into The Unknown was crazy (including the nice but a tad self congratulatory presentation at the Oscars). The problem was, it felt like that people didn't like being told Into The Unknown was the song they should get behind.

The other problem from a musical point of view, the majority of the songs could be removed and the plot still actually gets driven forward and makes sense. As much as I have told my friends that the transitions OUT of the songs in the original Frozen are abrupt, the majority of them do contribute to the plot better than the songs from 2 - although still nowhere near the level of Ashman's work.

For 3 to work, the Lopez's need to rethink their approach to the song aspects and not worry so much about have a viral song that hits the chart.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 18th, 2021, 4:35 am

Ben wrote:
January 16th, 2021, 7:59 pm
Frozen Yentls...? :lol:
Yeah: Musicals where nobody but the marketable money-star gets to sing. :lol:
droosan wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 7:52 pm
I must confess that I wasn't especially fond of either Frozen 2 or Wreck-It Ralph 2 .. and I'm somewhat infamous for liking everything. :|
Difference was, I was expecting F2 to be loaded Jennifer Lee male-bashing, and it wasn't.
(As opposed to the Princess-room scene and climax of Ralph 2.) :roll:
Bill1978 wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:35 am
The big problem with Frozen, is that it really did seem to be driven about getting another Let It Go. The push for Into The Unknown was crazy (including the nice but a tad self congratulatory presentation at the Oscars). The problem was, it felt like that people didn't like being told Into The Unknown was the song they should get behind.
Disney's become so absorbed by the Cult of the Evil Song, they expect any Kirsten Lopez song to be a New Anthem for (...) and sweep the Oscars with teary audiences if it's featured in the next film.

I expected that "Here's THIS year's Frozen song!" would be battering-rammed into the Oscars from literally before the movie opened, but then again, they were pretty much doing the exact same thing with Kirsten's big heir-apparent song from "Coco".

Disney should just (insert lame "Let It Go" pun here).