Disney's Frozen

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 9th, 2009, 12:20 pm

James wrote:Aren't Gary and Kirk at DreamWorks now?
Gary's done the two DW Christmas specials (as Jeff isn't one to miss an ex-Disney garage sale), no word of Kirk since Atlantis.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 9th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Where was there cringe-worthy comic relief in "Beauty"? I can understand some people not liking the gargoyles in HoND, but B&tB seemed to have everything pretty well balanced in terms of drama and comedy.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 9th, 2009, 1:12 pm

Dacey wrote:Where was there cringe-worthy comic relief in "Beauty"? I can understand some people not liking the gargoyles in HoND, but B&tB seemed to have everything pretty well balanced in terms of drama and comedy.
I hadn't seen it in years, but happened to click across it in the middle recently during the comedy-relief scenes between Gaston and his Flunkie--I kid you not, from the quality of animation and dopiness of the pratfalls, I literally thought for a moment I was watching some 90's Richard Rich "Swan Princess" wannabe-thingy.
(And then the whole "Furniture Alone" battle at the end...If you ever want to know the meaning of "Bringing down the level of conversation". -_- )

Granted, the farty-creature in M&C's "Treasure Planet" was no step up either, but at least Eisner had ordered that one's comedy-relief to be goofier, and seems like a masterpiece of story-integrity by comparison.
T&W have no one to blame but themselves.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 9th, 2009, 1:22 pm

Yep, they have no one to blame but themselves...for the Best Picture nomination, the numerous "Best Animated Feature" lists that the film makes, the ammount of praise that Disney likes to give B&tB, etc.

;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 9th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Dacey wrote:Yep, they have no one to blame but themselves...for the Best Picture nomination
(Oh, fer cryin' out loud, do we HAVE to keep bringing up the "JFK hadn't opened yet, and nobody thought the Academy would remember Silence"? thing EVERY single time B&B's wishful Mermaid-coattailing stunt-nomination is mentioned?
It's worse than Ben and the Lion King thing!)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2009, 2:24 pm

Stunt nomination? I guess it was also a stunt win for Best Picture at the Golden Globes? :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by PatrickvD » December 9th, 2009, 2:41 pm

yeah, BatB got a pitty nomination at the Oscars. The academy actually felt sorry for it so they decided to give it a nod.

:roll: :twisted:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by estefan » December 9th, 2009, 3:33 pm

To answer the question where Kirk Wise is, he's currently super-vising the 3-D version of Beauty and the Beast and he also helped direct the dubbed version of Spirited Away. He does seem to be fairly quiet nowadays, though.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jake » December 9th, 2009, 3:34 pm

I thought "Atlantis" was far superior to "Treasure Planet".

I don't mind the more slapstick elements to Gary and Kirk's projects. I think they are appropriately balanced.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 9th, 2009, 4:38 pm

PatrickvD wrote:yeah, BatB got a pitty nomination at the Oscars. The academy actually felt sorry for it so they decided to give it a nod.

:roll: :twisted:
No, it got a jump-the-gun "What're we gonna nominate in November" nod at the GG's (the Globes hadn't yet cemented their reputation as the Most Gullible Major Awards in the pre-Oscar canon), because the December big-guns hadn't opened yet--
Every pundit knew for a fact that nobody would EVER remember a poor lil' critically acclaimed Jodie Foster/Anthony Hopkins movie from February (February, that's like freakin' forever!), so a lot of columnist handwringing started salivating the West Coast voters for "What do we have to nominate this year, a Disney movie?"...
At that point, the bottle had been opened, and it wouldn't have mattered what Disney movie came out that year: B&B was still coattailing on Mermaid's new applause from a year before, the "work-in-progress" Festival stunt had gotten critics noticing how hard New-Disney was working again (ie., that Mermaid wasn't just an isolated fluke), and spilled over all the critics' "Disney movies are the new Broadway!" about New-Disney In General. One year off, and it could've been Aladdin up for Best Picture, and don't think the Westies didn't try.

And why do I bring this up?--Well, we got started on T&W basing their entire reputation on one picture, and never having directed a good one since.
And if you're asking me to say that an aggressively mediocre movie made by well-meaningly mediocre directors is "good" on no other bases than its own audience--in that it created a zombie-cult who worships it on pedestal for getting a largely false bit of praise based on historical timing and LUCK--I'm sorry, that's not how the process works.
It technically works when we say things like "Give one artistic defense for B&B that does not use the words 'Nomination', 'Ballroom', 'Books' 'CGI', or 'Broadway'." :roll:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » December 9th, 2009, 6:25 pm

My god! How could the 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the rest of the world have missed this!

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 9th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Eric's apparently not a Disney fan.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Hewylewis » December 9th, 2009, 7:47 pm

God, PATF hasn't been released yet, and already I'm looking forward to The Snow Queen. I used to watch the Russian animated film all the time as a kid. But now that I'm older, I've always wondered...why did they make her a villain, whereas in the book, she wanted to save Kay, and said she'd let him go once he was cured. Were they copying the evil queen from Disney's Snow White?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 9th, 2009, 7:48 pm

Not a clue. I've never read the Snow Queen.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Oh dear, Eric.

And here I was thinking that we had made some progress over your recent posts. :(

But...I am intrigued...what's this "Ben and The Lion King" thing? :?