The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Post by eddievalient » December 15th, 2009, 7:13 pm

Just saw the trailer and thought there should be a thread. It looks like it might be interesting, but it could go either way. It's got Nick Cage going for it, so that's something, but I don't know if bringing the story to the modern world is going to work without seeming like a Harry Potter wannabe (much like the very bad Wizards of Waverly Place). I'll give it a shot, but my expectations probably won't be very high.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by surfnspy » December 16th, 2009, 3:16 am

Here's a link to the trailer so everyone can take a look.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/th ... edium.html

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » December 16th, 2009, 4:21 pm

I saw one--one--don't-blink shot of the Apprentice practicing with brooms, and that probably added to the story later to justify the title-association.

I'm getting vibes that this may have started out as a generic Highlander-style "Sorcerers in NYC" FX piece (with the teen "apprentice" as Audience-Identification Character), that Bruckheimer pasted onto the bottom a three-picture deal to keep Prince of Persia active, and Disney adding a strategic corporate nudge onto the title as a "hook" for the audience.
(As with "Operation Dumbo Drop", or when they pasted all those Cinderella references into "Pretty Woman"'s script.)
Doesn't look bad for what it is, but I won't strain my eyes looking for Mickey.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 17th, 2009, 9:24 am

Nah...nothing we haven't seen before.

But it looks <I>less</I> of a Potter rip than that other Chris Columbus thing that may as well be called Harry Potter And The Harry Potter Rip-Off Complete With Askew Gold Text And A Castle Lit By Lights In The Sky Money Shot.

This looks like it's trying to be the new National Treasure franchise for the star, the producer and the director. What's up with that, is NT3 not happening now?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 17th, 2009, 10:15 am

Ben wrote:What's up with that, is NT3 not happening now?
I certainly hope not.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » December 20th, 2009, 1:38 pm

From my understanding, NT 3 is supposed to start production as soon as they're done with this.

And Eddie, I thought you indicated in the "Prep and Landing" discussion that you didn't like "National Treasure."
I'm talking chiefly about Valient, The Wild (yeah, I know, not Disney, but Disney should have a higher standard for what they put their name on), Narnia, National Treasure and especially ALL of the stuff on the disney channel.
Of course, I could just be misunderstanding something you said. Forgive me if that's the case. ;) :)

Anyway, I'll probably end up liking this. I tend to enjoy Nic Cage, and the fantasy stuff looks like the sort of thing that I often get a kick out of.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » December 20th, 2009, 2:21 pm

I meant that I hope NT3 isn't happening. The first one seemed like it was trying way too hard to copy Indy Jones (The Last Crusade in particular) and I never saw the sequel. El Dorado inside Mount Rushmore? Give me a break.