Ghostbusters — OFFICIAL THREAD

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
GeorgeC

Ghostbusters — OFFICIAL THREAD

Post by GeorgeC » September 5th, 2008, 1:19 pm

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38188

Some "Office" writers were contracted to do a spec script for "Ghostbusters III."

That's right.

Hollywood is heck-bent on resurrecting another tired, dead horse.

As if the Star Wars prequels and Indy Jones IV weren't enough.

Add to that the box-office bomb and ten-years-too-late X-Files 2 movie...

Liked the original Ghostbusters, the second was half okay.

Not really seeing the point in a third as all the original cast members have gotten older, moved, and it doesn't seem like anybody's really been interested in doing another Ghostbusters movie for at least 15 years now.

The upcoming videogame, though, does look pretty good.

Now if only Sony would back off from it, stop postponement, and let the game be released this year.

I, for one, am not interested in another GB movie.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 5th, 2008, 6:43 pm

My take: if they do a good job then great. If they don't then they should bother, but the fact that some sequels have done poorly doesn't prove that all sequels do. I've seen the first Ghostbusters many times and will see it many more times. I saw the second one once and may see it again if somebody talks me into it. But the fact that The Office screenwriters are involved does bode well for a G3.

BTW, when the first one came out I remember reading that the movie did very well in front of test audiences even before any of the special effects (ghosts, particles streams, etc.) were added in. Hopefully they keep that in mind this time around.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 5th, 2008, 10:31 pm

Wasn't Dan Aykroyd gonna do this as a CGI film? It was going to involve an alternate "hell" version of Manhattan, I think. Whatever happened to that?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 6th, 2008, 1:43 am

Ackroyd's wanted to do about a million different things with Ghostbusters but the only thing that's happened since the second film are the animated versions and even the last animated show (Extreme Ghostbusters) pretty much tanked.

Ackroyd's had a so-so career with scripts and like anybody else has had very few produced. That said, he's still had a remarkably good career and has been in a lot of different movies playing character roles. Seriously, if you blink you'll miss him in a bunch of films...

I don't think Ackroyd owns the Ghostbusters IP at any rate... Sony/Columbia owns Ghostbusters but I seriously doubt they'll do anything without a least a few members of the original cast. The original cast has enough notoriety and clout that the fans of GB are not going to support a new project without the involvement of Ackroyd and the others to some extent.

Most likely, IF a third Ghostbusters film is produced, it will be CG. The main actors are all in their late 50s/early 60s and I don't think most of them seriously want to hit the gym! 8)

I have no great love for sequels of films that were produced around 20 or more years ago. It's usually too late to go back with the original cast and you can generally tell when things are done for money and the people making the film are bored. It's not fun being in the audience for movies like that.

Timing and attitude are pretty much everything for sequels. Other than the videogame -- which I think is actually a great idea for a new direction in Ghostbusters --, I don't see a point in a continuation of the film series itself. An interactive Ghostbusters game is probably the best way to go forward. I just hope the game gets released within the next year!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Christian » September 6th, 2008, 11:28 pm

I've had an idea for a "Ghostbusters 3" for a while . . . but I'm not going to tell anyone.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Meg » September 7th, 2008, 11:19 am

Oh, Christian, such a tease! ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 7th, 2008, 8:06 pm

Here's the deal...

Far from no-one wanting to do a GB for 15 years, Aykroyd has been trying to get one off the ground since 1990. There was talk of a weekly TV show, which Rick Moranis confirmed in an interview.

The animated shows came and went, but Aykroyd kept plugging away. Columbia wanted it too, but the big thing was trying to convince Murray and Reitman back, who both kept declining.

Eventually, they were going to go ahead with them, with Harold "Egon" Ramis, himself now a director, directing the film. But Columbia got cold feet without Murray in the film and it stalled.

The notion of the CG film came last year, but as far as I can tell, this essentially became the basis for the video game that's coming out. With that looking to be a big hit, and the GB brand about to become big again, the latest is that the Office guys will be working over Aykroyd's original concept.

The three leads and co-stars are ALL on board (no word on Reitman but the guy needs a hit so bad I'd be surprised if he doesn't come back) with them taking smaller roles (just like Indy and son).

Next up... Gremlins 3: Dante's Revenge! :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » September 8th, 2008, 3:20 pm

I actually have a really good idea for Gremlins 3, but it's been so long that I don't know if anyone would be interested (should I ever have a chance to pitch it).
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 8th, 2008, 3:43 pm

Thread renamed...please keep all GB3 and related posts in here please. :)

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 13th, 2008, 5:05 am

There's also been official word that the Ghostbusters Video Game -- which WOULD have been one of the bigger releases this year(!) -- was delayed in order to be rescheduled for next year.

Why? To coincide with the 25th Anniversary of the original Ghostbusters (1984) movie!

The thing is, something doesn't quite jibe with this. There's been talk on the DVD/Blu Ray sites that the Ghostbusters Blu Ray disc is supposed to be released THIS October (2008)! The game itself has been taken off the pre-order release sheets at videogame stores and hasn't been rescheduled officially as of yet.

(The Game Stop store chains all refunded the pre-order deposits for the Ghostbuster game or put the pre-orders towards other games.)

The Ghostbuster game itself is really supposed to be Ghostbusters III or II-B. It's a separate story from the one being worked on for the alleged CG movie. The game's story takes place two years after Ghostbusters II and the gamer controls a new Ghostbusters recruit.

A bit more intrigue enters the picture...

I was talking to a gamestore employee and, while a lot of the gossip you hear from gamestores is bologna or other slight distortion of reality, what he said actually made sense -- "It seems like not all the rights for the Ghostbusters IP were paid for/negotiated and that Sony/Columbia Pictures sued to get the game stopped."

Can we say $$$$$$ ?

Nobody's disputing that the game WILL come out eventually -- it's almost done --, but it's a question of timing. As for the reality of the delay, your guess is as good as mine.

Oh, and I'd say there's a good possibility Sony or an appointed company will be publishing this game, too. Sony, ya know, does have 2 or 3 game systems (PSP, PS2, PS3) that they could sell a lot of copies of this game on!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » September 13th, 2008, 9:12 am

You might be interested in this story:

http://www.newsarama.com/games/090805-GbustersGame.html

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » September 14th, 2008, 8:53 am

Yeah,

I read that article a while ago. The game press beat Newsarama by quite a fews days on the story. Gamestop guys are understandably tired of talking about the game at this point in time.

I'm still convinced the game will see the light of day.

If The Red Star could get published for the PS2 despite being 3 years late, Ghostbusters: The Game WILL see publication by the middle of next year at the latest.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 15th, 2008, 10:02 am

Wow...and after all that promotion at Comic-Con!?

My guess: all the upcoming tie-ins were on schedule and then someone said "hey, what are we doing for the 25th next year?" at which point a Sony exec got alarmed and asked "It's the 25th next year!!?"

This, coupled with the merger stuff going on with ActiVision, just seems to have hit at the same time. After seeing the unanticipated interest in the game and announcement of a new movie, I'm thinking that the powers that be (Sony/Columbia) suddenly realised they had something bigger than they thought on their hands and panicked, recalling all product and licenses (after all, the game couldn't have gone ahead even at proposal stage without a say-so nod from rights holders Columbia).

My guess is that things will be resolved and everything will magically happen all together next year, in bigger 25th anniversary events.

GeorgeC

Post by GeorgeC » December 2nd, 2008, 7:53 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6201815.ht ... tory;title

The Ghostbusters Videogame is tentatively on-again for June 2009.

It's going to be published by Atari (no relation to the classic developer of Missile Command, Atari Computers, and the Atari 2600 -- it's been through more regenerations than Doctor Who and is NOT the same company any more).

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » December 5th, 2008, 1:25 am

*reads title of thread, rubs eyes, reads again* For real?

Is this just all speculation or is there solid evidence it will go past the script? If so I don't really think they can make a third one. The first one was good for a reason; its called timing. Using the same basic premise to make a third movie years and years later might not be a good idea. Sometimes a remake might be a better option, but who knows. :roll:

Btw if it does just end up being a game, I think it will be a pretty sweet game. ^.^
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]