The Croods

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

The Croods

Post by CGIFanatic » February 25th, 2010, 1:48 am

The next feature from DreamWorks Animation to come out on March 30, 2012 is a movie called "The Croods". The movie will be directed by Kirk DeMicco and Chris Sanders.

Here is the plot of the movie. “Crug, voiced by Cage, cautiously leads his family beyond his comfort zone after an earthquake destroys their home. While attempting to navigate the dangerous and unfamiliar world, Crug butts heads with a nomad, voiced by Reynolds, who charms Crug’s clan especially his eldest daughter with his (relatively) modern-minded ways.”

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111801 ... d=13&cs=1/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ELIOLI » February 25th, 2010, 6:42 am

Hmm, well that's different.Should be interesting!
http://www.elioliart.com/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » February 25th, 2010, 4:37 pm

I guess Sanders is at Dreamworks for the long haul. Can't wait to hear more news.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: The Croods

Post by ShyViolet » March 7th, 2010, 2:34 am

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » March 10th, 2010, 3:30 pm

Does this have anything to do with that project that Aardman tried to make with dreamworks before they hit trails?

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 10th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Yep, the very same.

Originally titled Crood Awakening, the project was one of the ones kept by DreamWorks after their split with Aardman. At one point, creator John Cleese had been attached as a writer and potential voice, though he also seems to have been replaced by DW's team.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by CGIFanatic » March 11th, 2010, 2:26 pm

Here's a link that has an image that is supposed to be from this movie but it looks more like it's from Shrek. What do y'all think?

http://animatie.blog.nl/dreamworks/2010 ... #more-4310

Edited: Sorry after reading the google translation of the text it clearly says it is from Shrek.
Last edited by CGIFanatic on March 11th, 2010, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 11th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Hmmmmmh!?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » November 17th, 2011, 1:54 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » November 18th, 2011, 2:00 am

For a while, the TAG consensus had been that Croods was Sanders first film without Dean DeBlois, and was just as much of a mess as "American Dog" had ever been--Face it, DeBlois was the talent behind the throne.
If they've brought in a co-director, that's the only way I can see the picture "coming together and looking tighter".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » December 6th, 2012, 9:14 pm

Saw the trailer with Guardians...looked pretty darn cool! :)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » January 22nd, 2013, 9:12 am

I know they're playing off the current TV show with this tagline (the one under the title in the poster below), but did no one at DreamWorks ever watch The Flintstones? Deserved or not DW already has a reputation as a bit of a copycat, and this kind of thing doesn't help! (Before the complaints, no I don't think they copied the line - my guess is no one caught the similarity.)

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=99150

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » January 22nd, 2013, 3:44 pm

If ANYONE grew up watching The Flintstones, they wouldn't be working at Dreamworks. :P
I was wondering whether they were nudging at dim associations of ABC's Modern Family = Clever Quirkiness, since they seem to be pushing the characters over the visuals or the Chris Sanders dinos. Not altogether the best idea.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » January 22nd, 2013, 5:52 pm

The visuals look quite beautiful to me, and the trailers seem balanced in terms of characters/plot vs design. Based on that and the gorgeous Sanders designs of Dragon, (as well as the great storytelling) I think Croods is going to be great. DreamWorks has been on quite an upswing lately (like them or hate them, BOTH Dragon and Guardians were labled by numerous critics as feeling incredibly different from DW's fare from four or five years ago). I really think DW has a hit on its hands.

*Actually, more like six/seven years ago; Kung Fu Panda is probably universally considered the begining of the DW "Renaissance" where they were finally starting to break away from past trends. (Bee Movie had some impressions of that too, despite its star-boasting flavor.) Monsters and Mad 2 were a throwback to Shrek times, but Dragon, Guardians and even Puss can be considered part of the new Renaissance. Croods looks like it will add to that record.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » January 22nd, 2013, 7:49 pm

The tag is obviously an ABC reference: if it was The Flintstones, or at all an intended nod to that show, they wouldn't have got the line wrong (it would be, of course, "the modern stone-age family". With Modern Family being such a big show now, there's no harm in suggesting this is kind of just like that...but set ages ago!

Plus, it gets a little Disney dig in there, in a "sure you have Modern Family, but our guys came first"-ish way. :)