X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: X-Men: First Class

Post by ShyViolet » May 29th, 2014, 3:20 pm

Yeah, well, to me that was too much time! LOL. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 29th, 2014, 6:10 pm

Am I the only one who didn't mind Borigins!?

Okay, it wasn't what it was supposed to be, but then no X movie has been as close to the comics as they might have, and Borigins works pretty well as an "early" X movie if you watch them chronologically so that the action builds.

Also, I rate Last Stand as being better than the first X, but not X2, which is a series highlight. But if you want to blame anyone for any of its perceived failures, blame Singer, for jumping ship in the first place. He's now acting like a kid wanting to "fix" the problems he caused in the first place. The world would have been a better place with a proper X3 (and probably X4) under Singer, and a Superman movie that might not have been great, but would have beaten Returns at any rate.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » May 29th, 2014, 7:24 pm

This is hard to forgive, Ben...

Most fans (rightfully) seem to consider X2 to be the best of the three. "Have you ever tried not being a mutant?" bit aside (which was just silly), it's pretty much a home run, and Brian Cox's terrific performance as General Stryker certainly didn't hurt.

Also, if it were up to me, #BlameSinger would be a trending topic on Twitter for a while. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » May 29th, 2014, 7:38 pm

Dacey wrote:This is hard to forgive, Ben...
What are you talking about? That whole scene is comedy gold!
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

Buzz Bumble

Post by Buzz Bumble » May 29th, 2014, 9:42 pm

Ben wrote:... blame Singer, for jumping ship in the first place.
I blame Bryan Singer (at least partly) for the Ron Moore's "re-imagined" Battlestar Galactica. When Singer was in charge it was going to be a proper sequel series to the original TV show, but he jumped ship to do a Spider-Man movie, and that's when Ron Moore was brought in and butchered it into the completely different show it ended up being which should have been called something else. :(

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » May 29th, 2014, 11:24 pm

I finally watched Origins just a few weeks ago... and didn't understand why it was so hated. I enjoyed it just fine, continuity problems aside.

The first X-Men only seemed good because it wasn't as terrible as people feared, and took a lot of the lore seriously. But it really wasn't that good, aside from a few great performances. A lot of blame, though, may go to Fox for ridiculously rushing it. Naturally, X2 is the class of the first 3.

Speaking of class, First Class is my favourite of them. Just a fun, solid movie. Haven't seen days yet.

Last Stand had a lot to like, but I did hate the scorched earth ending, where everyone was killed off. That was just... lame.

As for BG, I enjoyed the Nu version so much that I have long forgiven the lack of a true sequel.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » May 30th, 2014, 12:39 am

eddievalient wrote:What are you talking about? That whole scene is comedy gold!
Also--since the whole point of XMOW was finally using up all those unused ideas for the trilogy--they'd tried to put The Blob into the first movie as one of Magneto's old Brotherhood gang (to go with Toad), but could never quite get the concept art right or fit him into the story.
Like Deadpool and Gambit, just another better-late-than-never "Here, happy now?" moment for the fans that kept our mind off the rest of the movie.
Randall wrote:I finally watched Origins just a few weeks ago... and didn't understand why it was so hated. I enjoyed it just fine, continuity problems aside.
Aside from Fox's insistence on being cross-promotional "current" with characters most classic readers have never heard of (which was my complaint with FC)--
Jackman worked in the first movie because, like the comics, he was the grudging anti-idealist who had to be pushed into doing the right thing.

With XMOW, we're watching Jackman as the least slimy character in the movie, but that's not the same as his being sympathetic. Which uninvolvement starts to show by about the third time he dukes it out with Sabertooth, and having Angry and Angrier at each others' throats for the entire movie doesn't suggest a "fierce eternal rivalry", so much as just Popeye and Bluto with claws.
And that's before they have to anal-retentively catalog/explain every single plot development we already saw five years earlier in the other movie. (Which I wasn't crazy about either, not just for its Logan-centrism.)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » May 30th, 2014, 10:38 am

See...first X-Men movie, not so good. Origins, not so bad. Glad I'm not the only one! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2014, 1:20 pm

You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » June 1st, 2014, 3:20 pm

Finally saw DOFP yesterday. The short version is that I LOVED it. However, taken at face value, the continuity issues are a major problem. This article comes as close as anyone could to providing a logical explanation, but it is spoileriffic, so be warned: http://screenrant.com/x-men-movies-cont ... ture-past/

For those too lazy to click the link, here's a summary:
Basically, DOFP is First Class Part 2 and any references to the original series mean that some version of those events happened in this timeline but not in the same way. So, for example, the main plot points of X3 took place, but Xavier didn't get vaporized and thus was still alive in the future seen in DOFP. Yeah, it's complicated. :?
So, as it turns out, my assertion that the main series ended with The Wolverine was more or less correct. Who knew?
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » June 1st, 2014, 4:15 pm

Why does everyone seem to forget that Professor X actually didn't die? At the end of The Last Stand's credits, we saw that he had transported his consciousness into the body of a familial member (who, in the film's novelization anyway, was conveniently his twin).

Besides, in a world with mutants, it's not that far fetched to assume that there are mutants who could change his appearance and make him "just like Charles" again. ;)
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 1st, 2014, 8:38 pm

Already up to 500 million worldwide (passing TLS):

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/entry/view/id/354431

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 5th, 2014, 10:20 am

According to John Ottman Singer will definitely be directing X-Men: A, (and Ottman will probably be editing and scoring).

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/29/ex ... hn-ottman/

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » June 6th, 2014, 6:47 am

In that case, I fervently hope that Ottman drastically ups his game in the scoring department (or that Singer will let him). The score was the worst part about Days of Future Past (and, come to think of it, X2.)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 6th, 2014, 12:36 pm

DOFP didn't have the greatest score in the world but it did have some nice spots (particularly Charles' theme). I downloaded a good portion of it from iTunes and am enjoying it. :)