X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Re: X-Men: First Class

Post by EricJ » April 17th, 2014, 1:37 pm

eddievalient wrote:All i'll say is, it doesn't matter if he's guilty or not. Even if he's completely innocent (and he may very well be), and even if he's completely exonerated (which is entirely possible), the fact that he's openly gay means that a lot of people will assume he's guilty and he'll probably never work in Hollywood again, especially once the tabloids and Fox News get ahold of this.
Not to mention coming straight off the celebrity heels of Kevin Clash's "indiscretion" that took Elmo off of Sesame Street.

To be accused out of the blue is one thing, to have everyone go back and find parallels in your work (eg. all the healthy athletic twinks that show up in Apt Pupil and the X-movies) is another--It's rather hard to be Wrongly Accused when you're your own most convincing witness for the prosecution.
And whatever happened, it's a sad bit of self-indulgence at an inopportune time. Bryan, have you tried....well, you know. ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 17th, 2014, 2:07 pm

EricJ wrote:Not to mention coming straight off the celebrity heels of Kevin Clash's "indiscretion" that took Elmo off of Sesame Street.

That's not really a fair comparison, though. In Kevin Clash's case, the relationship was completely consensual and the other guy was over the age of consent, so it wasn't even illegal. The only reason he left Sesame Street (even though his bosses would have let him stay if they could have), is because CTW bowed to pressure from the "family values" crowd who would have hounded them for years and brought it up every chance they could. They didn't want that kind of publicity, so they really had no choice.

In Bryan Singer's case, even if the accusations aren't completely made up out of whole cloth (which I strongly suspect they are), at the very least, I guarantee you they've been massively exaggerated for the sake of inflaming the jury. Seriously, look at what they're claiming. It reads like a bad episode of SVU. This is a witch hunt, plain and simple.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 17th, 2014, 3:10 pm

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Scar » April 17th, 2014, 10:08 pm

If it turns out to be false accusations, even if he never directs another X-men movie, I don't think it will be the end of Bryan Singer's movie career. Woody Allen films are still winning awards in spite of the allegations against him.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 20th, 2014, 12:45 pm

What we already knew/hoped:

"Days of Future Past" Set to "Right Wrongs" of "The Last Stand"
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=52282

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 20th, 2014, 2:32 pm

Although I can think of a whole list of Singer "wrongs" that Brett Ratner was trying to FIX. :x
(Like Mystique talking about her "slave name" rather than about being bullied at school...)

And yes, Kitty's got a pottymouth again. :roll: (This is "fixing"??)

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 20th, 2014, 4:31 pm

As I've said several times, that is so freaking stupid!!!

First off, X-Men: First Class was never intended to be an "official" prequel of the X-Men trilogy. It was a reboot. Then Singer took over, and the whole thing became X-Men 4. The "real" prequel to the X-Men trilogy was X-Men Origins: Wolverine, which obviously wasn't nearly as good as it should've been, but forgetting that, even placing the events of that film alongside First Class gets messy, thanks to the tacked on Emma Frost cameo at the end of Origins (She's YOUNGER in the late 70's/early 80's than she was in the 50's?).

This is, again, such passive aggression on Singer's part. Again, he gave Brett Ratner his full blessing. Now he's going to "undo" it? That's really not fair at all when you think about it.

Then again, the apparent rumor is that Mystique becomes a "good girl" by the end of Future Past, which would undo the events of the ENTIRE X-MEN TRILOGY. Cute. :roll:

And I'm betting--and I really hope I'm wrong--that the Rouge "cameo" is just gonna be her having her oh-so-fun and there's no way a non-violent person would ever want to get rid of them killer powers back. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but going from what I've heard...just ugh. :(
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift--that is why it's called the present."

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 20th, 2014, 8:00 pm

The only way to make this work in my mind is to ignore the post-credits teaser completely and say that the previous series ended with The Wolverine (fitting since that makes his solo films bookends to the whole thing). Days Of Future Past is X-Men Part One. Again. It might have the same actors, but it is NOT part of the same series. Period.
The Official Lugofilm Ltd Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/bartsimpson83

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 20th, 2014, 10:46 pm

I'm afraid it's not that easy, Eddie.

Now, Alien 3, on the other hand, that is something that didn't happen. ;)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 22nd, 2014, 12:57 pm

Not to drag on the headlines being made at the moment (but I wasn't around to comment before), but they should also go after him for Superman abuse too! ;)

More seriously (no, actually let's be serious about Superman abuse)...what is being said will not be a surprise to anyone who has worked with this director in the past. Let's just say that it was only a matter of time before something like this was going to break out into public.

Rand...when you're over here in July, remind me to fill you in on some of these stories (or, better yet, you'll probably meet the guy who told me and saw them first hand)...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by eddievalient » April 22nd, 2014, 1:30 pm

Well, it was reported this morning (via a statement from Singer's lawyer) that it is literally impossible for the lawsuit's claims to be true because he was in Canada filming X-Men 1 at the time this stuff supposedly happened. Seeing as how that's an easily verifiable alibi with numerous potential witnesses to back it up, I would expect the lawsuit to be thrown out as obviously false. Anything else is nothing more than rumor and speculation and should not be believed for a single second. Seriously, people love to make stuff up. It's not an uncommon thing at all. No matter how trustworthy you think someone is, they can still lie to you. I know that from first hand experience. Lots and lots of first hand experience.
Last edited by eddievalient on April 22nd, 2014, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 23rd, 2014, 12:41 am

Looking forward to the in-person gossip, Ben. ;)

I'd guess that this is not the end of this story just yet, but we shall see...

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Vernadyn » April 23rd, 2014, 1:18 am

X-Men: First Class was my favorite X-Men movie, though I know that's not a view shared by most. I admit to having enjoyed all of Matthew Vaughn's films, and am actually looking forward to The Secret Service a little more than Days of Future Past. That said, I still have hope that DOFP will be a good film (though it will be hard for it and the other upcoming superhero films of 2014 to beat Captain America 2). I frankly don't have high hopes for Amazing Spider-Man 2, especially after how the first one turned out.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Dacey » April 23rd, 2014, 5:31 pm

The biggest praise I've heard for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 so far is that it's "okay."

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 23rd, 2014, 5:32 pm

eddievalient wrote:Well, it was reported this morning he was in Canada filming X-Men 1 at the time this stuff supposedly happened.
Well...you know...they have these things called helicopters and planes that take people from one place to another in pretty quick time.

And just because a call sheet indicates someone is on set, doesn't mean they were actually there... I know for fact that he would leave a shoot to go party (on a helicopter, accompanied by two young, um, "associates") before the day was over: the crew was told to shoot the scene as they would second unit and, if he didn't like it, he could shoot it again later. This is why his films routinely run over and end up with a lot of discarded footage that, if he had his eye on the ball, wouldn't be the case.

There is a reason he has essentially ended up back in the X-Men park...it's the only place now that any studio will allow him to blow $100m+ on a movie, after his last few films bombed. DOFP may well still be a hit (and one he desperately needs), but at this point in the franchise it'll be a hit because it is an X-Men movie, not because of who directed it.

Hopefully the whole thing will be exposed and someone else will take on the next one.