X-Men Movies Thread

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: X-Men Movies Thread

Post by Ben » April 10th, 2019, 7:28 pm

No big surprises here. Disney was never going to pull anything or anyone over from any franchise's previous incarnations, and likewise any integration wasn’t going to happen for a number of years yet. I’d expect to see the Fantastic Four appear in the MCU long before any X-Men (and women!) start turning up.

:)

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 10th, 2019, 8:47 pm

I'm quite happy to give X-Men a rest. I'm much more interested in the FF joining the MCU, as the FF were usually more a part of the Marvel U than the X-titles, which had their own storylines. I really want to see Spidey and Johnny Storm hang out on screen. In fact, I could see a Spidey film introducing the FF to the MCU.

However, with plans for the MCU already in place for the next several years, the FF may have to wait a while, too. :(

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » April 10th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Randall wrote:I'm quite happy to give X-Men a rest. I'm much more interested in the FF joining the MCU, as the FF were usually more a part of the Marvel U than the X-titles, which had their own storylines. I really want to see Spidey and Johnny Storm hang out on screen. In fact, I could see a Spidey film introducing the FF to the MCU.

However, with plans for the MCU already in place for the next several years, the FF may have to wait a while, too. :(
And even then, I have serious doubts whether there'll be ANY MCU three years after Avengers: Endgame.
Insert Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts/Crimes of Grindewald metaphor here, and that's if you liked Captain Marvel. And even if you didn't, SW:Last Jedi/Solo metaphors seem too mean. :(

At this point, it's more of a completism thing--ie. "We can't use any references to Doctor Doom, Because Fox"--which will make any big projects easier to story-facilitate, but as far as new projects, it's more like Spiderman: Homecoming:
Nobody WANTED another Spiderman movie, but we had so many reasons to want to see the character done right by the "real" people, if it meant getting the Steve Ditko version into "Civil War".
Fox has made sure nobody wants to see the F4 or X-Men's face for the foreseeable future, but if there's an upcoming movie where Marvel has to mention Xavier, Galactus or the Silver Surfer, at least now they can.
Who knows, maybe they can now free up that missing episode of "The Tick", and re-release the toon boxset.
ShyViolet wrote: 4.) When Bryan singer was sued for sexual assault in 2014, the MeToo movement hadn’t started yet.
And remember when the only fan complaint about Bryan Singer handling the X-movies was X-2 and the "Bobby, have you tried not being a mutant?" thing?
And not his later trying to use post-credit sequences to "chain-smoke" wannabe franchise sequels, with an Apocalypse tease on the end of "Days of Future Past", and a Mr. Sinister tease on the end of "Apocalypse"?

In fact, seems like the only reason we're getting "Dark Phoenix" in the first place is that it's the last-ditch Fox studio compromise of "Well...he said we were supposed to get a Jean Grey movie after 'Apocalypse', so, y'know, it was supposed to happen!"

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » April 10th, 2019, 11:31 pm

I don't see the MCU winding down anytime soon. Fiege and the gang have it covered. It shall continue to be awesome for a long time. And if it does start to run out of steam.... BAM! They release the best darn FF movie we could hope for. Mark my words. :)

It is nice that Disney has it all under one roof, as much as I prefer non-ginormous corporations. There's so much ground yet to explore in the Marvel Universe.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » April 11th, 2019, 4:15 am

Yeah, but Potter was a finite story. As was Star Wars. The reason those are flagging is because their core stories have been told and now they’re stretching.

The MCU is only ten years old and already up to over 20 movies...and is arguably only getting more super-powered at this point. I mean, look at Endgame, eyeing a $300m opening. Even the debut films are breaking a billion dollars routinely thesedays. Panther and Marvel...whichever way you look at them, they have cleaned up. Gone are the days when a debut character's standalone would "only" make 400 million or so.

So, yeah, the MCU is here to stay. They have but scratched the surface. And waiting for the X-Men or Fantastuc Four to join the circus properly isn’t just about the amount of time it takes for any property to achieve liftoff in writing, casting and production. Nor is it really, thesedays especially, about wanting to leave a little space between old and new franchises, as both of Spider-Man's swift reboots after Maquire and then Garfield can attest (and arguably Spidey-Verse too).

So, if they wanted to, Marvel could intro those properties into the MCU as quickly as they could make it happen. But...and here's the thing...they don’t want or need to. Because Marvel. Has. A. Plan. Of course, it’s fluid and can be flexible enough to move a movie up or down the schedule here and there, but they have a plan (again, unlike Star Wars). And as we have seen from the DC films, not having a plan, or not sticking to it, is what leads to failure.

Marvel knows what it’s doing. Unlike DC they don’t just rush into things. It took five years between the first Hulk movie and how they channelled that misfire into the beginnings of the MCU. And the same applies here: their newly returned characters will come along, completely fresh and new, when the time is right. That this won’t happen for at least three to five years is actually pretty cool. It allows Disney to finish off the Fox versions, let the dust settle, and then start to build up the anticipation again, resulting in a new level of fever pitch by the time it’s all ready to kick off again.

My guess is that, while we won’t see those characters in the MCU before five years, we may start to get trickles of fan-bait start to crop up after around three years or so. And then another massive teamup to celebrate the twentieth (without the century fox!) anniversary!

And, by then, it’ll all be ready and waiting to watch right there on your living room screen by way of Disney+, also now encompassing the entirety of Netflix and Apple's libraries! ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 15th, 2019, 8:37 pm

I know we haven’t discussed Phoenix for a while and that this is basically no surprise to anyone, but just thought I’d post an update: the movie bombed spectacularly, both critically and commercially. It not only plunged 83% on its second weekend (from 14 million to about 2 million) but racked up only a 24% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.

I’ll most likely see it anyway when it becomes available, since I really like a lot of the main actors (it makes me really sad that so many people seem to have forgotten the incredible talents of Mcavoy and Fassbender) but wow, this was such a disaster right from the start, especially since, by my count, the film got pushed back about five times. :shock:

We won’t see anymore X-Men movies (I mean with Wolverine, Professor Xavier, etc...) for a VERY long time. Definitely not in the next five years anyway. Maybe even the next ten... :?
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » June 16th, 2019, 4:47 am

As my post above yours, Vi, I think it’ll be sooner than then. But Phoenix has indeed finished off the FoX series, with New Mutants now rumoured not to be getting the reshoots it needs (the thinking is "why bother?" and you can’t blame them), with the film basically being shunted to Disney+ or Hulu in the "as is" form it’s in now, essentially beng used as a marketing tool to draw people in who are curious about it, but it won’t be a "finished"movie or officially part of the X-series, from what I’m hearing.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 17th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Oh ok gotcha. :)
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » June 29th, 2019, 9:12 pm

Interesting behind-the-scenes look at the Phoenix disaster (from The Hollywood Reporter).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ns-1216859

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » July 23rd, 2019, 3:20 pm

Marvel's X-Men will be "quite different" from Fox's. No surprise, really.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 23rd, 2019, 6:36 pm

They all owe their mutant changes to Tony Stark's hitherto unknown secret experiments...? ;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » July 23rd, 2019, 6:47 pm

“Mutants and X-Men are interchangeable,” Feige clarified.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by EricJ » July 23rd, 2019, 7:11 pm

ShyViolet wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 6:47 pm
“Mutants and X-Men are interchangeable,” Feige clarified.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Technically incorrect, but does mean that Marvel is now allowed to use mutant characters, that were previously banned by Fox.
I doubt they're planning an entire new X-Men franchise, since they were already aware we had Spiderman-origin fatigue by the time they were able to use Sony's character in Civil War, and what happened to "Dark Phoenix" doesn't even compare.
But, it does mean that they're no longer banned from having Deadpool show up, whom Fox used to classify as an X-Force mutant.

It's also probably that they also want to use their new Fox freedom to revive Fantastic Four post-fatigue, just as an excuse to try and get that "Evil Skrull invasion" plot going again, even after Captain Marvel pulled the rug out from under them.
("Our warlike male military was mistreating good, innocent Skrulls who hug their children!"...Uh, yeah, thanks LOADS, Captain Sisterhood, it's not like were trying to make six more films with them. :lol: )
They all owe their mutant changes to Tony Stark's hitherto unknown secret experiments...? ;)
They may have been forced to do that with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Avengers 2 (who, although Avengers, were technically mutants in the comics), but...now they don't.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » July 23rd, 2019, 8:34 pm

Daniel wrote:
July 23rd, 2019, 3:20 pm
Marvel's X-Men will be "quite different" from Fox's. No surprise, really.
Well, I would hope so! The last thing I'd want is to keep focusing on the same key characters and themes. That got pretty old already.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » July 24th, 2019, 12:59 am

Don’t worry Eric...that was a Spider-Man joke.