Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Founder
AV Founder

Re: Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Post by Ben » November 22nd, 2021, 5:13 pm

Maybe they mean "frames", although I know they did produce a number of actual cels for promotional purposes. So there *were* cels, but they were not used in the production of the movie. My guess is they mean "frames” or the equivalent of "cels".

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » November 22nd, 2021, 11:25 pm

Someone on Blu-ray.com found the answer:
Dsneybuf wrote:I found two answers by opening this Los Angeles Times article, about selling Beauty and the Beast animation cels, in Private Browsing. The story mainly concerns Disney commissioning cels for "moichendising" purposes, as Mel Brooks would put it, but that D23 page likelier refers to this:
“It will confuse the less-sophisticated buyers because they’ll all think there are production cels, and there are not,” said Gregg Medlyn, owner of the Fine Toon gallery in Houston. “I had a big problem with people going to the MGM Studios in Florida and telling me they saw ‘cels’ on display from ‘Beauty and the Beast.’ I even had to call Disney to find out what was on display there. They were actually color model cels. Disney hand-painted some cels to get the colors down right to compare them to the computer colors. But everybody thought they were seeing real production cels.”

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 23rd, 2021, 12:16 am

All of the cels created in the 'Ink & Paint Department' of "The Magic Of Disney Animation" attraction at Disney/M-G-M Studios in Orlando were 'limited edition' cels created especially for sale in the parks and in Disney Stores.

I visited the studio in the early-1990s, during the production of Pocahontas -- but if you looked closely at the cels being painted by the artists at their drawing tables, you'd see Captain Hook or Jiminy Cricket .. or any character except Pocahontas.

I should say that the animators/in-betweeners, background artists, story artists, etc that could be observed from the 'fishbowl' windows were clearly working on Pocahontas production art .. it was just the 'Ink & Paint' artists that I'd noticed were doing this.

The CAPS process wasn't at all mentioned within "The Magic of Disney Animation" attraction, at the time .. I dunno if that ever eventually changed. :|
Last edited by droosan on November 23rd, 2021, 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Randall » November 23rd, 2021, 12:41 am

I attended that attraction when I lived in Orlando 1993-1999, and I recall no mention of CAPS being made.

I loved seeing all those cels for sale, which to me were clearly new products. Didn't matter--- they were still beautiful. :)

(Meanwhile the Warner Bros. Studio Store at Florida Mall did have TV animation production cells for sale. I bought one from Batman TAS.)

As I recall, the Orlando unit provided, what, about 12 minutes of footage for Pocahontas?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 23rd, 2021, 1:04 am

I didn't mean to imply there was anything 'wrong' with the limited edition cels being created there.

They're definitely works of art, created with all the same methods as production cels .. except for the fact that they aren't production cels, of course. I'm not sure many are worth the exorbitant prices charged for them, in galleries .. but that's mostly beside the point. :wink:
Randall wrote:
November 23rd, 2021, 12:41 am
As I recall, the Orlando unit provided, what, about 12 minutes of footage for Pocahontas?
They were heavily working on it at the time of my visit, which was right around the time Aladdin opened in theaters.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 23rd, 2021, 6:31 am

So…

What I said then.

;)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Farerb » March 24th, 2022, 5:40 am

‘Beauty and the Beast’ and Its Unprecedented Oscar Run in 1992: “It Was a Giant Moment for Everyone”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie ... 235114971/

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » March 24th, 2022, 6:00 am

Beat me to it! Just read this last night…nothing majorly new, but a nice read.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » September 21st, 2022, 10:08 am

not my creation .. just some anonymous mad genius, on the internets. :lol:
TropicalStormGaston.png
TropicalStormGaston.png (124.63 KiB) Viewed 1874 times

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by ShyViolet » September 21st, 2022, 11:53 am

:o

:lol:
You can’t just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » September 21st, 2022, 2:45 pm

Gotta love the creativity! :lol: Here's another:

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » September 21st, 2022, 5:16 pm

Geni-ai! :D