Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 21st, 2008, 9:16 pm

Josh wrote:Still, I would love to see Beauty and the Beast's Blu-ray release contain all three versions that were included with the 2002 DVD.
3 versions? I thought there were only two. I guess since I don't own the dvd I have no clue. :roll: What was the third?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Daniel » November 21st, 2008, 9:49 pm

"Work in Progess". Though it did not actually include the correct Work in Progress or Original Theatrical Cut, so here's where the new DVD and Blu can improve, hopefully.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 22nd, 2008, 4:53 pm

The Nightmare Before Christmas DVD didn't had a 3D version (As far as I know) so I don't think it will be 3D.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » November 24th, 2008, 10:45 am

The eventual Blu <I>may</I> include a 3D version, but at the very least it will probably be the Human Again version.

The sequence was always <I>intended</I> to be in the film but they couldn't work it in until the stage play fixed the problems.

Also, it goes without saying that B&TB's higher resolution digital files were created for the Imax version, so it would seem ludicrous for them to start from scratch again. If it IS the "original" cut, look for it to be the Imax cut minus Human Again, which is also what we got on the DVD.

I have to say that I think the original original version of B&TB is now lost forever, unless you have the LaserDisc. The last DVD did not feature anything but the new Human Again edition: it certainly did <I>not</I> include the original theatrical version as released in 1991 and on LD, and did not include the <I>original</I> Work In Progress version as screened earlier in 1991 and released on LD...both of those editions were "fudged" using branching.

The draw of B&TB on Blu will be that simply enough...people will lap up whatever is served...the added bonus of the "original cut" in its true original cut would not be enough to entice extra purchases nor put off those that don't agree with the changes but want the film in high-def anyway.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 24th, 2008, 11:36 am

Ben wrote:The draw of B&TB on Blu will be that simply enough...people will lap up whatever is served...the added bonus of the "original cut" in its true original cut would not be enough to entice extra purchases nor put off those that don't agree with the changes but want the film in high-def anyway.
"Lapping up whatever is served" is a little harsh! Especially when talking about the best animated film ever made (yes, my opinion - let's not get off topic) coming to the best home video format now available. You make it sound like people are buying chicken scratchings in HD just because Disney is offering it. I admit that might be an apropos analogy in some cases, but there are better reasons to buy this particular film rather than just because it is being served!

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by andrewcg » December 3rd, 2008, 4:44 pm

Josh wrote:I'm glad that Don Hahn, Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale will be supervising this project. Maybe after this, they will team up to craft a new animated movie for Disney.
Oh great! I'm glad they're back too. I hope that they will stay sincere to the original feel of Beauty & the Beast. I thought that some of the humor and acting in "Human Again" didn't blend with those in the rest of the film (too cartoony).
[url=http://www.werewolfandfirefly.com][img]http://www.geocities.com/andymulia/WF_Banner.jpg[/img][/url]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 8th, 2008, 5:24 pm

New article on it:

Disney Producer Reveals Motivation, Method Behind Beauty and the Beast 3D
I recently had the opportunity to speak with legendary Disney producer Don Hahn while he was promoting his new fabulous book, The Alchemy of Animation. Don Hahn has produced a few small, low-budget animated Disney movies during his career (not sure if you’ve ever heard of them, but they include films such as The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and The Emperor’s New Groove). We reported on the new Beauty and the Beast 3D remake a few weeks ago, which Don Hahn is helping to produce, but a lot of us were left wondering: Why Beauty and the Beast? And how would they add a third dimension into an essentially 2D film?

So of all the films, why did Hahn and company pick Beauty and the Beast to remake in 3D? The answer was for practical as well as artistic reasons...
Feature Animation Favorites:
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 9th, 2008, 7:02 am

The <I>process</I> certainly sounds intriguing...the reasoning less so.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » December 19th, 2008, 11:00 pm

If Disney continues converting past traditionally-animated features to 3-D, I wouldn't mind them trying the process on Tarzan. With the film's Deep Canvas technology and rich animation, I would particularly love to see Tarzan in IMAX 3D.

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 20th, 2008, 6:08 pm

Realistically, I think at the moment it's only anything past 1990's CAPS saved projects (Rescuers Down Under, Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin, etc).

If Beauty is a hit again, I would wager that we'd basically see the old IMAX pattern emerge again: either Aladdin or The Lion King next. Tarzan may well be a candidate, but I'd consider that they'd only really touch the megahits (discounting Rescuers 2, natch), and with all those mentioned films covered, I couldn't see them converting many more.

But yes, Tarzan would be particularly exhilerating in 3D. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 26th, 2008, 12:49 am

Will this be Cel-shaded or fully CGI?

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 26th, 2008, 1:54 am

Um...traditional 2D. They aren't re-animating anything. They said it's going to be the 'original film' (which we can assume is the 'special edition' which includes the song "Human Again"). All they're doing is taking the same animation and wrapping it around 3D frames to give it another dimension. They aren't remaking the film.
  • Tekkonkinkreet, Watership Down, A Town Called Panic, Howl's Moving Castle, Rio 2096, Mind Game, Fantastic Planet

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by Ben » December 26th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Which in itself sounds fairly unique. While the ultimate illusion may not play as anything we're not expecting, the very way they're "taking the same animation and wrapping it around 3D frames to give it another dimension" is pretty groovy.

I hope it <I>is</I> more than just the same film just presented in a multi-Multiplane type of effect.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Darkblade » December 26th, 2008, 6:49 pm

Thank you Neal that answers my question... I was just worried for a moment....

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Neal » December 26th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Haha...no problem. I don't think would accept an upgrade to CGI. Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas being in 2D and its sequel being in CGI drew a lot of criticism, and that was just a DTV! Imagine one of the classics getting this treatment! If a new film is in CGI, and that's the only way we know the characters, it works out - like Chicken Little, Robinsons and BOLT. We never knew those characters any other way so CGI just looks and feels right. When a 2D character is upgraded, it usually doesn't sit well with fans. Mickey's Clubhouse and My Friends Tigger & Pooh are both shows that took 2D characters and made them CGI, and both have gotten complaints.

Strangely, though, everyone seems to love Mickey's PhillarMagic, which upgrades Ariel, Jasmine, and others to CGI. Perhaps its not just they style, but the shows contents, as well.