Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Features, Shorts, Live-Action and Direct-To-Video
AV Team
AV Team

Beauty and the Beast Blu-ray

Post by Josh » November 19th, 2008, 6:58 pm

I'm curious to learn how people feel about the 3-D makeover for Beauty and the Beast. I think the movie is as close to perfect as a film has ever been. Hence, I wouldn't mind seeing a 3-D version of Beauty and the Beast in theaters. If the 3-D turns out to be distracting, I guess one could take off the glasses. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by droosan » November 19th, 2008, 7:22 pm

I assume Disney would be actually returning to the original digital 'ink-and-paint' elements of Beauty and the Beast, and would (basically) re-composite them to create the 3-D effect. It could be interesting .. and would likely be much more effective than the 3-D Nightmare Before Christmas (for which a 'fake' stereographic image had to be crafted out of each frame of an existing 'flat' film).

Though, I tend to think the other announced titles (Toy Story 1&2, Up, and Rapunzel) would benefit more from a Disney Digital-3-D treatment (assuming, as I'd said, the films would be entirely 're-rendered' stereographically) than would Beauty and the Beast -- which, due to its 'traditional' nature, can -- at best -- simply make every single shot appear to be a 'multiplane' setup.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 19th, 2008, 9:23 pm

I'm glad that Don Hahn, Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale will be supervising this project. Maybe after this, they will team up to craft a new animated movie for Disney.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 20th, 2008, 12:37 pm

2010? it will be released with the Platinum Edition?.
[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/bfqbtk.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 21st, 2008, 10:24 am

I'm not sure how I feel about a 3d release of this movie. But then again it is my favorite Disney movie so... :roll:

I've never been to a digital 3d movie, is it different than the old 3d style. You can actually watch the movie without the glasses and it's not screwed up?

And if they are planning to do this... maybe they will re-release Beauty and the Beast on DVD ^.^ *excited* :D That dvd is impossible to get (stupid vault).
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 21st, 2008, 10:44 am

Don't worry,they already said that Beauty And The Beast will have a new Platinum Edition in October 2010 on DVD and Blu-Ray :D.
Question-When The Lion King was released on IMAX? (I have seen it on IMAX over here by the way,I got a free ticket from McDonalds when the Platinum Edition was released).

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 21st, 2008, 11:13 am

The Lion King was released in IMAX theaters on December 25, 2002.
Foxtale wrote:I've never been to a digital 3d movie, is it different than the old 3d style. You can actually watch the movie without the glasses and it's not screwed up?
I'm pretty sure the film is viewable without the 3-D glasses, since it's not like the older 3-D movies where scenes are tinted red and blue. However, I may be wrong about that. (I've only seen one Disney Digital 3-D movie, Meet the Robinsons, and was so interested that I didn't want to take off the glasses. :) )

AV Founder
AV Founder

Post by James » November 21st, 2008, 11:37 am

Can't watch without the glasses. The 3d effect "blurs" the screen without the glasses.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 21st, 2008, 11:49 am

Thanks for clearing that up, James. I wasn't sure but, like Foxtale, was curious about the matter. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Jafar » November 21st, 2008, 11:56 am

I saw Beauty and the Beast when it was released in IMAX couple of years ago. Though it was a wonderful experience but many a few scenes looked quite jittery on the large screen.

I can't wait to see it in digital 3D format. I'm sure the classic is just waiting to come alive in the format. 2010 is a long wait though.

...and good to see you Josh :)
Last edited by Jafar on November 21st, 2008, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 21st, 2008, 11:57 am

Josh wrote:The Lion King was released in IMAX theaters on December 25, 2002.
Oh,thanks for that :D so they"ll release Beauty And The Beast in the beginning of 2010?.

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 21st, 2008, 12:11 pm

You're welcome, Once. As for the release date, Variety says a specific one "has yet been set."
Jafar wrote:...and good to see you Josh
Thanks, Jafar. Good to see you too. :)

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Once Upon A Dream » November 21st, 2008, 12:19 pm

Oh,thanks again :D I think that they whould release it in the beginning of 2010 so to have time before the new Platinum Edition.

AV Forum Member
AV Forum Member

Post by Foxtale » November 21st, 2008, 3:44 pm

James wrote:Can't watch without the glasses. The 3d effect "blurs" the screen without the glasses.
Thanks guys, I went to go see Bolt today and figured that out during the coming attractions. I was curious ^.^ If your vision is just as bad as mine, you could watch some of the movie without your glasses, you just have to accept the fact that everything is blurrier. :roll:

Anyway, so if Beauty and the Beast is coming to 3d theatres and DVD (and bluray) my question is which version will be released. The original or the one with the added scene? I remember when they first came out with the special dvd they made a big deal that there were both versions on the dvd. The special version had "Human Again" and all the fixes to the film (minor clean up things). What do you think they will do for this dvd release?

Personally I hope it's the original, there was a reason they cut out that scene in the first place. I don't mind the minor fixes to the film, but I really thought "Human Again" disrupted the flow of the movie. >.<
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/Foxtale/almostthere_signature_smaller.jpg[/img]

AV Team
AV Team

Post by Josh » November 21st, 2008, 7:16 pm

Although I enjoy the "Human Again" sequence, I agree that it disrupts the flow of the movie. Hence, I'm hoping that it's the original film receiving the 3-D treatment.

Still, I would love to see Beauty and the Beast's Blu-ray release contain all three versions that were included with the 2002 DVD.